“Average room, but poor service”

St. Michaels Harbour Inn Marina & Spa
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in St. Michaels
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 6 September 2011

When we arrived at noon, the front desk attendant was clearly flustered and unpleasant and told us that our room wouldn't be available until 4:00. I informed her that we had not received an email confirmation which was supposed to inform us of the delayed check in and that we had a 3:00 massage in the hotel Spa, so she promised to call our cell phone when the room became available. Hoping to be able to relax and prepare for the massage appointment, we returned to desk at 2:00. Now, swarms of new guests had arrived, and many were expressing discontent at the attendants' demeanor. We accepted the suggestion to wait at the pool (and were again told that they would notify the spa if our room became available), but were disappointed to find the plastic pool chairs were all occupied, with another 10 people crowding the small pool area. Front desk said they would bring more chairs in 30 minutes, which never occurred after 60 minutes of waiting. Ordering cocktails from pool-side bar took exceptionally long, and we had to sit on floor of pool deck until Spa appointment. Never received a call from front desk about room availability, so ended up trudging downstairs in spa towels to retrieve our luggage. $20 "resort fee" to cover "bottled water upon check in, pool towels, newspaper and bike access". Since we didn't get a newspaper delivered (holiday) nor use the bikes, it seemed like a lot to pay for “complimentary” water. Aside from the fact that they have a Spa, we wouldn’t describe this environment as a Resort. Rather, a place to lay your head while enjoying the lovely town and waterfront access.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cortney B

Reviewed 12 August 2011

The owner of the B& B ( from George Brooks Inn) recommended that we eat here for our last night of our honeymoon. It was so worth it. David Mays is really a wonderful chef. We had the Pan-Seared Foie Gras, the Maryland Jumbo Lump Crab Salad, the Lobster & Truffle Mac n' Cheese and the special (deep fried soft shell crabs). It was beautifully presented and wonderful.Made to perfection and very fresh. We also loved the atmosphere.
We highly recommend the lemon tart. This is the best place to eat in all of St. Michaels.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank skyymoore
Reviewed 11 August 2011

what a great family trip! we drove all day from ohio and the pool was so welcoming. poolside bar service, boats right off the pool, view of the chesapeake! The clincher was taking the water taxi for $2 to the crab house across the bay! Our taxi driver gave us a shore tour following fresh blue crabs!

I recommend this for those looking for water, family, pool, "chesapeaky" trip.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank chris o
Reviewed 2 August 2011

Stayed there one night on our return from Ocean CIty and found the property to
be very nice. It is an older Inn that has been remodeled by the new owner (Bob Pascal)
and it has a very classy touch to it, very well appointed and with quite nice views from
the rooms facing the harbor. Also the downtown of St. Michaels is just a long walk
or short drive with many little shops and boutiques there to check out. Also there
is a restaurant called the "Crab Claw" that has superb seafood but on the weekend it
can get very busy and crowded. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would highly
recommend it to anyone passing through that area. The rooms are pricey but it is
well worth it.............

Room Tip: any room facing the harbor
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank buckeyewayne
Reviewed 28 July 2011

We've been coming to St. Michaels annually for the past 5 years and we make our stay at the Harbour Inn Marina & Spa. The front desk is very accommodating - we have never had an issue as I've seen in other reviews. The rooms are spacious, beds are comfy, and the linens clean. We rarely eat the breakfast at the hotel but have had the dinner there once - very good meal. It's a good location - tucked a few streets behind of the hustle and bustle of the main street and right on the harbor. If you can, get a room with a balcony overlooking the harbor. Two of our favorite dining spots in St. M's are: 208 Talbot and Ava's. Don't forget to check out the winery and the lighthouse museum. It's a town that fills up with the tourists in the summer months. If you head there in early April or early-mid May or late summer/early Fall you can enjoy this lovely place on the Eastern Shore without all the crowds. Enjoy!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 July 2011

Firstly, let me start by saying that I love this place. It was my second year there and the room was fabulous, the beds and pillows beyond fabulous, the staff is pleasant (see caveat), the location is great. Yes, it's really THAT good. Having said that, I called this year to book the room by phone. I was told that my first floor double queen bedded suite would be $280 plus $25 for the extra person. As this was in line with the previous year, which I believe was about $260 plus $25 for the 2nd floor (far superior) one queen bedded suite. A few days prior to arrival it occurred to me that I did not have a written confirmation; in fact I had never had one. So I wrote to the hotel, and Frances assured me that we did in fact have the room. My problem was I did not reconfirm the rate. Upon check in, the rate was $350 PLUS the $25 plus all taxes and resort charges. I was shown, by the "I hear this all the time and I'm not listening" front desk attendant, a written confirmation showing the $350 rate. It was NEVER mailed to me or I would have called immediately to sort it out. SO, though I highly recommend this place and will most likely stay there again next year it will not get the fifth star because of this rate issue. DO stay here but DEFINITELY reconfirm your rate prior to check-in.

Room Tip: 2nd floor suites rock!
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank acacias1
Reviewed 26 July 2011

This was a last minute getaway and we'd never been to St. Michael's before. The hotel is well located and all rooms seem to have a view of the marina. Rooms on the right side of the hotel have a broader view of the river. The staff is friendly and helpful. Our waitress in the morning took the time to tell us about the town and offer somethings for us to to - which we did. The food here is good; we had a casual breakfast in the cafe the fist morning which was nice and relaxing and dinner one night in the formal restaurant. The rooms are clean. We borrowed bikes one day and had a great time riding through the town and neighborhoods exploring. Have crabs at the Crab Claw and Ice Cream at Justine's. For a fun dinner - the Big Pickle. Will definitely go back - next time with the kids.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on second or third floor with a view of the river; not the marina. Although they are...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort, Spa & Marina
Parsonage Inn
Parsonage Inn
#2 of 13 in St. Michaels

Been to St. Michaels Harbour Inn Marina & Spa? Share your experiences!