“Upscale Comfort in a Sleepy Town”

St. Michaels Harbour Inn Marina & Spa
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in St. Michaels
GreenLeadersBronze level
NJ
“Upscale Comfort in a Sleepy Town”
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Stayed here for a relaxing few days at the end of September. Stayed in a waterfront room with two queen beds with a separate sitting area. It wasn't fancy, but it was very clean, very roomy and very comfortable. Bathroom had two sinks and fabulous water pressure in shower. Good parking, free bike rentals. Front desk very nice. I'm not sure how it is during the busy season, but it was only about 1/3 to 1/2 full when we were there. I would stay here again - probably not in the summer. We paid half price, only $169 plus fees per night.

The free breakfast was ok. Better than having to go out, but it was crowded even though the hotel was underbooked. There was fruit (fresh & canned), three cereals, pastries, bread, muffins.

1 Thank ellgar5

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 1 October 2013

This place was still undergoing renovations when we went but it was still lovely. Since it is tucked away in the harbor it offered some spectacular views with nice peace & quiet. Staff and restaurant were both excellent. My wife and I really enjoyed our anniversary there.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 September 2013

After a rather rude check-in, we went to our room on the 2nd floor. We looked forward to a beautiful evening with a cool breeze, an incredible view, and peace. Didn't happen. A wedding reception was held on the balcony next to ours requiring us to close our drapes, and the noise was incredible from the beat of drums. No peace and no view. We shouldn't have been given the room with a wedding reception next to it and the dance under it. We are home now and still disappointed. We will go back to St. Michaels but never Harbour Inn.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Beckym722
Palmerton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 14 September 2013

We celebrated our 35th Wedding Anniversary and my husband's birthday in St Michaels and had the pleasure of staying at the Harbour Marina & Spa. Our room was a queen suite and it was perfect ...especially since our children came down along with their dog and surprised my husband. We had a small sitting area right outside our room where we could enjoy the views of the marina and it was great for taking Mattie outdoors. The front desk staff went above and beyond ...from the reservation process ....check in ....and during our stay. Since we had a Dog in our room the Housekeepers were so kind and cleaned our rooms around our schedule and did a fantastic job.
The complimentary bikes were wonderful and we were pedaling all over town. All of the staff was extremely friendly and went out of there way to offer assistance.
The only negative I would have to comment on is that the Complimentary Breakfast could have offered a little more variety. Overall, fantastic location...very clean...and staff gets a perfect 10!!!! and my husband was speechless when Mattie and my children arrived. He was definitely surprised. Many thanks to the girls at the front desk who helped with the surprise.

• Stayed August 2013
anna maria
Reviewed 14 September 2013

We did not stay here and this is why:
I called to make a reservation and was told reservations were busy and to leave my number for a call back. I gave the woman my name and # and waited 24 hrs without a response.The next day I called again and got someone who was making a reservation for me when she asked if I could hold.I said sure. She came back a couple of mins later and proceeded to finish my reservation..had all but the credit card # and put me on hold again. Minutes later someone else answered and I explained I was already being helped. In all I was put on hold 5 times and after 11 mins and 50 secs I gave up and hung up. No one ever called back and there is no place on their web site to contact them so I am writing to tell my experience. Needless to say we will never stay there and will certainly tell anyone who asks about this.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank annamariaabby
Leesburg, Virginia
Reviewed 9 September 2013

We went to St Michaels for our anniversary weekend and stayed at the Harbour Inn.

Checkin: We arrived early, prepared to be told to come back. We were greeted warmly and told our room was ready and we could check in. A personal "Happy Anniversary" message was on the hotel TV. We were given information about events downtown over the weekend and about hotel ammenities, and then told we could go to our room.

The Room: AMAZING! The view and room were even nicer than in the pictures! We stayed in room 317 the "Miles River". It was spacious, well maintained, clean and well appointed. It was lovely, just lovely! The bed was even comfy and the shower had perfect water pressure. There was a coffee maker and mini fridge, which we did use. There is no minibar except 2 waters for like $3 each. We were pleased, but skipped the expensive water.

Ammenities at Hotel: They offer free bikes, have 2 restaurants and a spa, plus the pool was open (after Labor Day!). We didn't use any of those, but if we come back, I suspect we will. They have free (well, included, not free) wi-fi and it worked very well - fast, easy connection, kept service, etc. In addition to having the restaurant, they offer a free (again, 'included' not free) continental breakfast... just room temp muffins and pastries, which is usually OK with me, but they are stale cheapos - I suspect they put back the ones that are not eaten and reuse them the next day...So I didn't even eat the muffin I grabbed on the way out the door Saturday morning. I don't know if they have room service. I don't know if we could have arranged for champagne and chocolates in the room upon arrival, because I forgot to ask ~ but that would have made it perfect, and I wish I had. They DO offer free shuttle service to downtown, which is nice because although it's just across the canal, you don't really want to swim to dinner, or walk in heels, and if you have a drink or two you don't want to have to drive home. I hear there is a water taxi but never saw it.

Checkout: Checkout was a breeze and they didn't even charge me when I couldn't find the second key. I appreciate that.

Overall~ Beautiful! Worth the price! Some of the best customer service we've ever received (the only place that rivals it is the Ritz Carlton in DC).

For the hotel, I offer 2 suggestions: (1) Offer a champagne/chocolate package to be in the room upon arrival for romantic getaways; (2) Get better muffins and bring them to our room in the mornings.

Room Tip: We stayed in 317 (Miles River) and it was excellent, but I think all the rooms are water front, so I...
1 Thank Vicky C
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 5 September 2013

I wanted to surprise my husband for his birthday and so I booked us in a Miles Suite (room 311) which has a HUGE balcony with two loungers and a table for four with plenty of room to spare. Our first impression of the room was that it was quite big and comfortable. The room is a bit dated, but are you really there to hang out in the room and did you think you were checking into the Four Seasons? It is charming for the location, the bed was comfortable and the room was clean.

The service was friendly all the way around, but I felt like they were understaffed. The staff was able to accommodate an earlier check in for us at 2:30pm and even held a bottle of Cava on ice for us and had it waiting for us in the room. The lady managing the breakfast did a fantastic job, but it was almost impossible to keep up with all of the guests. We found the breakfast to be quite substantial for a continental and we didn't feel like anything was missing.

Now for the not so good points:
1. The pool was so crowded that we couldn't even take advantage of it. There was no place to sit and there were screaming children all over the place. It looked like there were people who were not staying at the hotel using the pool. We were not pleased with this as it was 90 degrees out and we had to pay a resort fee ($20) despite the fact that we were unable to use this amenity. Luckily we had the two loungers on our balcony so we were able to layout in our room.
2. While the hotel is pet friendly, they charge an astronomical fee for pets. It would have made more sense if we were there for more than a night as it covers the entire stay. We paid $100 for the first pet and another $50 for the additional pet. I'm not sure why they would charge for two when the effort to clean is the same. In fact when I called I was told the pet fee was only $100 and was a bit surprised that they charged us an additional $50.

Basically we ended up paying over $350 for ONE night when our room was only $189. Based off of this alone I would not come back with the dogs, which means we won't be back because we take them everywhere. I felt like we were taken advantage of a little on that end. Our dogs are well behaved and were with us the entire time. We were even complimented by the staff when we were leaving. If this fee was waived for returning guests we would be back without a doubt.

Room Tip: Get a Miles Suite for a large balcony and great view.
Also consider these accommodations in or near St. Michaels
Oxford Inn
#1 of 1 in Oxford
Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort, Spa & Marina
Wades Point Inn on the Bay

Been to St. Michaels Harbour Inn Marina & Spa? Share your experiences!