“MOST DISGUSTING !”

Americas Best Value Inn
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Salisbury
Reviewed 28 July 2013

this hotel is the most disgusting hotel ever stayed in .. the rooms were so dirty & the people that cleaned them everyday were just as dirty didnt know how to clean. the rooms stunk so bad & there were always flies in the room! doors in the room were paint chipped like animals were scratching at them. whole entire hotel stunk ! think board of health needs to do another review because in my opinion this hotel needs to be shut down & tore down ! DISGUSTING DISGUSTING .. DISGUSTING !!! DONT EVER STAY THERE !!!!

• Stayed: July 2013
6  Thank thisoneisme
AMBVISBY, Front Office Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our facility. I am very sorry to hear that our hotel did not meet up to your expectations. However we strive for customer satisfaction and it seems that we have failed. We have forwarded your comments to our housekeeping supervisor and management and your comments are being taken seriously. We will being taking immediate action on your concerns. Thank you and we hope you give us another opportunity to serve you.

Reviewed 8 July 2013

I rented a room at Americas Best Value in Salisbury Maryland during the weekend following July 4th, 2013. The room was one of a very few available at a reasonable price. It was just for a overnight stay to the beach in Ocean City Maryland so it was convieient enough. We had rented a room their before about 2 years ago and everything was good. They had an Indian restaurant and a bar and grill on the premises. The bar and grill had pool tables, darts, and video game machines, so it was family friendly. The continental breakfast was average and well monitored. This time around was horrible. They need to shut it down or get new management. There were no restaurants on site as before. That was disappointing because inside the rooms they had advertisment displays stating they were premise. Either way, the rooms were not great either. The tv amoire had all the knots missing so you had to pull at the nails to open the drawers. There was a pillow caseless pillow. There were no spare sheets or blankets even though the room had a pull out sleeper. When I got the blankets, no sheets, from the front desk, they had hella holes in them. My son was scared to sleep on them because he said the blankets looked poor because of the holes. The next morning the continental breakfast lasted about 2 hours because no one replenished or replaced or cleaned the area . It was trifling. I will never stay their again. The pool was dirty and had a low water level. The lawn furniture was old and sun bleached. We found a pack of cinnamon buns behind the mini fridge in our room, which indicated the room wasn't thoroughly cleaned. The people were nice as pie but the place was bad. Two thumbs down.

Room Tip: look for reviews all the time. even if you stayed their before. Ask when was the last time they ren...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank cwaterfalls
AMBVISBY, Front Office Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2014

Dear Cwaterfalls

Firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to advise of your recent stay at America's Best Value Inn. It is only thru feedback such as yours that we are able to maintain and indeed, where necessary, improve upon the service that we provide to our valued guest.

I was very disappointed to read of your experience during your most recent stay with us. Although our apology will regrettably not alter the outcome of your experience on this occasion. I do extend it with all sincerity. I am truly sorry for the condition of your room. It is not the standard we practice and something that will not be ignored. Our breakfast hours are from 6:30-9a, and our front desk work hard to maintain cleanliness in our breakfast area, and also keeping it stocked for all guest. Our restaurant and has been closed for over a year. We will make sure our housekeeping staff remove those advertisements that still exist. Regarding our pool we get unannounced inspections form our local health department about six times a year. During our summer months it is hectic but we try our best to make sure we stay on top of keeping the pool in order.

Is there anything that we can do to make your next experience a better one? We would love for you to visit us again on a future trip to Salisbury. Please contact me directly so I can do everything within my power to ensure you a much better visit. You are always welcome here at America's Best Value Inn, and we hope to see you again in the future. Thank you for being our guest.

Regards,
S.Nelson

Reviewed 24 June 2013

My family and I booked here because a hotel booking website messed up our reservation. We had to book last minute and knew going in that it wasn't going to be the Mariott or something similar that we are used to. We should have slept in the car.

First, the office staff was rude, especially an African American woman whose name I don't remember. (I'm only specifying her race because she was the only AA woman there at the same.). They were rude because they wouldn't explain a charge that was made to my account. Not only did she not explain it, she said "I don't know what you don't understand. Figure it out. We don't make charging errors". Well, clearly they did because I later found out that many people were charged for more nights than they stayed.

Next, this same woman told another customer who was complaining of the room smelling and being dirty that "you are paying $89 a night. What do you people expect?" Really? Wow.

The room was dirty and smelled. Bad. There was a crack in the bottom of the door where bees kept coming in. We had to put one of their hard, scatchy towels down to keep them out.

Lastly, we were told breakfast was until 9:30. We got there at 9:10, just wanted to grab something easy like a bagel, and it was closed. I said "I thought it closed at 9:30 and the same lady from before told me "close enough"

Wow. I will NEVER go back. Please don't either.

Room Tip: Don't book here
4  Thank Ali L
Reviewed 16 June 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights. We made the best of it by staying out of our room as much as possible. We prepaid because we were told we were getting a better prepaid rate. Only to find a different rate on our receipt. Smell- I think I would have rather had a smoking room to cover the smell of dirt. We had a room with 2 queen size beds & stuffed with oversized furniture, very little moving room. We had 2 adults & 2 children in are party, they only would bring 3 towel sets, we have to go to the service desk to pick up an extra each day, because, according to them, they were too busy to delivery another set. Only to find two people sitting at the front desk discussing personal issues. Saturday night became a party motel. There were no parking spaces left in the lot & there were 50 people (none of which were guests) partying & "smoking" by the pool. This will definitely be my family's last stay at America's Worst Value Inn

• Stayed: June 2013
5  Thank LaxMom3255
Reviewed 15 June 2013

Two weeks ago, my mother, father, and I were in the same position you are in right now: looking at this hotel, America's Best Value Inn (Salisbury, MD--or any location, I suspect) and wondering whether or not we should book it. We even came to this website to see the reviews, and though we were slightly put off by the overwhelmingly negative responses, we decided to give it a try. It was cheap, and we desperately needed a vacation.
This was a mistake.
Pulling up to the hotel (henceforth referred to as motel, because really...that's just a more accurate term) was not that bad. We were exhausted, yes, from college touring and driving all day but we were looking forward to resting! Maybe even swimming. My mom went in and signed all the papers with a good attitude and we, admittedly somewhat wary due to the general atmosphere of the place, went off to find our room.

ADVICE: Demand to see your room before you sign anything or push any payments through because if you are not satisfied you will not be getting any money back.

We were told we'd been upgraded, free or charge, and for apparent reason. When we got to the room, though, we realized it was a downgrade. I hesitate to assume that the manager told us we were being upgraded at no charge when actually we were being downgraded (and therefore overcharged) out of greed. Maybe she wasn't trying to scam us. Maybe it was an honest mistake.
This is why we went back and told the front desk of our problem. We also mentioned that the room smelled...unpleasant, and had a general air of...well, filth about it. They tripped over themselves apologizing and gave us another room.
This room, when we opened the door, was not made up.
Seriously, the sheets were old and strewn everywhere and it was very clear that the room had not been touched since the last occupant. Also, like the first room, it smelled awful and seemed filthy.
We were frustrated by this point. Tired and upset that we didn't get to just go in and rest, as we'd planned, we returned to the front desk and asked for a refund. The manager refused to allow us one, and instead gave us two more room keys. Surely, SURELY, we couldn't get four bad rooms in a row?
Wrong.
The third, again, was not made up. We didn't even bother stepping inside. We took one look, one sniff, and recoiled, slamming the door behind us.
The fourth, blessedly, was made up but as we walked in and tried to reconcile ourselves to the fact that this was where we would be sleeping for the next two nights, it became blatantly obvious that no amount of Lysol could make us comfortable here--and we'd brought a lot, after seeing the reviews!
We were stupid to book this hotel, and I'm the first to admit that, but after the fourth room we decided to be more direct. We told the front desk we did not want another room. We explicitly stated that we were unhappy with the sanitary conditions and just wanted our money so we could be on our way. They refused and gave us yet another key.
We retreated to the parking lot to try to stop our payment through our bank. When that failed, we tried reaching a custom service hotline. We got through, but after two minutes on the phone with my father, the woman on the other end said something along the lines of:
"Your problem cannot be resolved through this phone call which is why I am now terminating it."

She then hung up on us.

We marched back to the front desk and insisted we have our money back, as we had been told--before we were hung up on--that the cooperation itself could do nothing, considering each hotel was privately owned, and thus the matter of refunds fell to the owner of the hotel.
Conveniently, we were told the owner wasn't in....
Finally, the manager told us she would cancel ONE night of our two night reservation. She offered to give us another room, twenty percent off, but we told her we didn't not want to stay. She cheerily printed out a document showing our second night's cancellation and, just as cheerily, apologized that she could not get us our first night's money back.

We left. We didn't have enough money to go get another hotel, even for one night, so we were forced to cancel our entire vacation and just drive home. What was meant to be a three day vacation turned out to be just a day trip. We put our dog in the kennel for nothing. We packed our suitcases for nothing. We lost $100 on a hotel that we spent no more than three minutes in, total.

I was very disappointed in their customer service. I felt like they were being dishonest. I felt that they did not care how upset we were, and they seemed to not understand the cleanliness problem. When we told the manager it smelled bad, she responded "Well, I guess not, otherwise I'd have no customers here."

Do, please, take my advice. You can splurge on a Comfort Inn. You can wait another week until you have forty more dollars. This is not even a last resort. This place is disgusting.

Room Tip: Choose a room in a different hotel.
8  Thank Jennifer M
Reviewed 9 June 2013

We reserved our room through Hotel planner. 1st mistake, We were told one rate, I even called before hand to check on my reservation and the pricing, well lets just say when we got here, it was a big ordeal, we had 8 other families stay at same establishment. We were all in town for a beach lax. Every single one of us either got horrible rooms, charged extra, or was given the run around, theres a hotel 6 right beside this place going rate for 54.00 a night. My friend got charged twice and others were charged more, for rooms that were awful! If you get pool side, pray you dont, they do not control other attendents and allow screaming in the court yard, People are drunk falling over, screaming and blasting their music. They also must allow more then 6 in a room, for a standard double bed. The best attraction in this place is the pool, when its open. I will never ever recommend this place to anyone, and Ive been in much better places and payed less for better areas. Please understand, Im not a picky person, But this place is shady! Now unto the how clean the place was. Im sorry, Ive been here for 2 nights and Im writing this review, because I was woken up at 330 am to screaming from people in the courtyard, by the pool. So Im a little tired and my spelling is off. If you must stay here, Do not expect alot, wear flipflops the carpet is filthy, makes your feet black, crumbs under the bed, cobwebs behind the bed frames, the tv channels suck, the comforters are stained, the doors are warped, the walls are patched but not painted to match. Theres one washer and one dryer, very outdated, the ice machine works. Inside your room, we have found different perks, one has a hair dryer, some may have tiny fridges or microwaves, some have tiny coffee makers, and wow theres a safe in each room, by the way at the front lobby it says if anything is stolen or missing they are not responsible. Go figure! I havent found any bedbugs. neither have the 8 different families who are staying here. We all checked just in case. If I had it all over to do again, I would of stayed at the comfort inn or motel 6 the hampton right down the street. I would of paid the extra for the room, because this place is a scam. Im still pissed I was charged more then I was told, I even called hotel planner, they said they could not do anything for us. We accidentlly rented a smoking room, which we did not really care either way. They had asked us would you rather have a non smoking, we said yes that would be great, well they up charged us 40 a night, and they will not refund your money. So needless to say, we were given a room, but just needed to come pick up keys at 4pm. Well they rented our room, Gave us a horrible upgrade, had to move again, the door had huge gap and was warped. The next room was not much better. Only thing nice about the place was the pool.

Room Tip: Do not request pool side, ask for the newer building. especially if its for the weekend. One of our...
4  Thank unhappyjune2013
Reviewed 6 June 2013

We made our reservation through expedia for 1 room and 1 night. When we checked in the front desk clerk said are you checking into more than 1 room ? We said no,we have 1 room for 1 night. He said ok. The next day we had 3 billing transactions on our card. When we called them they said expedia made 5 reservations for us with them. We asked why we were not told this at check in. We spoke with the General Manager Kelly and inquired why we were not told at the time that expedia made additional reservations. She said by him asking if we were checking into more than 1 room he was telling us we had more than 1 reservation. She also said people get upset when they are told that there are additional reservations so they dont tell them. But we could have canceled them at that time if we would have known. They did not credit the charges back and they said they did us a favor because they could have billed us for 5 rooms instead of 3. 6 days later I have additional charges showing on my account from them. When i called today they said they don't show where they billed me any additional charges. We are reporting this to our credit card company. We will never stay here again. Terrible customer service!

3  Thank tinam613