“Dated and sad but it could be worse”

Americas Best Value Inn
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Salisbury
Fairfax, Virginia, United States
“Dated and sad but it could be worse”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

We stayed here for a few nights recently during the Softball World Series with the rest of our team. Based on the reviews that I read here I dreaded staying in this place. When we arrived we found a room that was really dated and totally not something I would chose for my vacation. Paint would be good, updated furnishings would be better but it seems that our room had newer counters and it was reasonably clean when we arrived.

The breakfast was definitely the best I've ever had, but again, it was fine for us for 2 mornings. There were 2 waffle makers, 2 cereal choices, some bread, pastries and fruit. The set up isn't fancy and I think that covers on the tables to hide the rough appearance would help.

I did hear from a friend that her room (adjacent to ours) had roaches and that she saw them spray our room before we arrived. I would also say that while I felt reasonably safe in our section of the hotel, there were other areas which made me feel less confident. There were no incidents but some of the clientele loitering about seemed unsavory. It seems like there are parts of the hotel that are far worse than others.

In short - I would never chose this hotel for my family vacation nor would I recommend it to a friend but it's not quite as bad as other reviews led me to believe.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
AMBVISBY, Front Office Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, 20 September 2014
Dear Hillary,

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your stay during the USSSA series. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our continental breakfast we had to offer. We regret that there were a few negative points and especially regret that you felt that parts of our hotel was unsafe. Although we have never had any safety issues we do understand your concern. Summer is that time to relax, enjoy yourself, and have a nice vacation. Most of our guest that visit do just that and we apologize if that in any way made you feel less confident.

S. Nelson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Cohoes
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

As a parent of a softball player I have stayed in many hotels. This was not a hotel. This was more like an hourly rate motel. I arrived early and they told me I could check in for a $20 fee. Ok. I needed sleep, I just drove 7 hours. Fine. I drove back to our room where my two beautiful teenage daughters and I were greeted by their monthly live in customers with whistles and cat calls. My oldest daughter was carrying our cooler and one of the toothless men said to her, "hey, share that beer with us". Really. Dirtbag.

The room that they had given us was deplorable. Room 203. The stench smelled like something had died there. The air conditioner was useless. After 10 minutes in the room, my daughters were both having asthma attacks. It was at that point that we noticed the mold on the ceiling in the sink area, and water dripping from the ceiling. I went to the desk and asked for another room. They moved us to the room next door. Blamed that room on not being renovated with the rest of them and said they would not book that room at that point. It appeared cleaner. Smelled a little fresher. But that was most likely due to my daughters spraying their perfume to get rid of the smell that lingered in their noses from the last room. Later that day, there was another family in room 203. I told them everything. The hotel told them they had no where else to put them.

The hotel was not quiet. At all. It was a constant party. I assumed it was because the softball World Series was in town and the hotel was booked. Our room overlooked the pool. It never quieted down until after 11:30. Not good when you have to be up at 6am.

Another family from our team also stayed there. They were given a room that was smaller and lower than what they reserved and prepaid for. They were moved to the absolute back of the motel. Their room looked like a murder scene. There was something that looked like a bullet hole in their first floor window. The carpet was bleached out in front of the window and bed. Did a drug deal go bad there and a gun fight go down? Most likely. Their bathroom was also filled with dead in identifiable bugs.

One of the nights we were outside swimming, an older woman went into the far area of the pool to find a quiet spot to talk on her phone. The pool closed at 10:00. They locked the gate. We sat in the courtyard after that. At about 11:00 this woman was trying to get out of the pool area. They had locked her in!!!

I can say three good things about this place. The pool was very clean. The cleanest thing at the motel. Pepsi in the vending machine was only $1. And they sold 8 pound bags of ice for $1. That's the only good things I could come up with.

Do yourself and your family a favor. Don't stay here. Sleep in your van in a rest area. It's cleaner, quieter, and safer.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Travelingmomof3girls

Travellers are raving about these Salisbury hotels

Utica, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

First, let me start by saying I don't have high expectations in regards to "cheap" hotels. But, even I was disgusted. The room we stayed in should be condemned. We had such a problem with flies that we had to call the front desk. (My husband had already killed at least two dozen with his hat at that point.) The front desk offered to spray but with both of us having asthma, we didn't want to take the chance of a reaction so we asked for a fly swatter instead. They did bring us one, which got quite a workout over the next 2 days. The carpets were stained, and totally filthy. I didn't even feel comfortable going barefoot. Also, there were dead bug carcasses on the floor (flies and others I didn't identify). On the day we were checking out, I realized that the mattress we slept on had blood on it! (A lot, not just a drop either!) Maybe that's why the flies are hanging around?? The bathroom was not that clean at all. In fact, I'm pretty sure someone had shaved over our ice bucket...

The breakfast was a joke. The last time I checked, it was not sanitary to have margarine, peanut butter and jelly for everyone to dip their knife into! And, the black "X" over the bread told me this was not the freshest. (Day old? Thrift store?)

I will say that the workers I encountered were nice enough, the lobby wasn't that bad and the pool looked good. But the room was awful! I really feel that the local health department should visit this location. I'm sure they would require some changes. Even the towels and washcloths were stained.

My regret is that we didn't complain enough while we were there. I would have tried to get my money refunded and would have slept in our car if we had to. We were there to visit family (military) and just didn't want to put up a fuss in front of them. Bad mistake. Lesson learned. Don't prepay for a room, make sure you see the room you are to stay in before handing them your credit card, and speak up if it's not satisfactory! I filled out a complaint form on their website but I doubt they will respond.

We have stayed at other ABVIs in other states with mixed results, but never this bad. We will not be booking another. I will be burning my "value club" card.

Room Tip: Don't book a room around the pool! People coming and going constantly!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank BarbieJo14
AMBVISBY, Front Office Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Thank you for your kind words regarding our staff. We are so sorry we did not met your- or our own- expectations. Whilst an apology will regrettably not alter the outcome of your experience on this occasion. I do extend it with all sincerity. I certainly emphasize regarding the points you mention in your review especially the condition of the mattress. I do agree that the stains that were ignored on the mattress is clearly unacceptable. It is not our standard practice and it has been removed and replaced. . Continental breakfast is served in the morning from 7-9a.m. Our breads are purchased daily and are properly sealed during breakfast hours along with the rest of our breakfast items which tongs are supplied for pick up. Our orange and apple juices stay stocked along with our condiments that are either individually packaged or in individual containers. In regards to the carpeting although most of our rooms already have new carpeting in them we are currently looking into new carpeting for the rooms that still have old carpeting in them. The experiences you described pertaining to housekeeping are not characteristic of the level of service our colleagues strive to provide and we apologize that your stay was unsatisfactory due to our negligence. We admit that, although we always try our best,, there is certainly always room for improvement and during very busy periods, we might have less attention to details than usual, and apparently, this has been the case over the last few days and for that again we apologize. We hope that we will be able to welcome you back.

Jacobus, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

This was the worst place I have ever encountered! We were three couples with one dog. Room one was supposed to be non smoking and smelled like a dirty ash tray, not suitable for a baby and toddler to breathe that air. Room two was dog friendly and smelled like urine! Third room was dirty!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Subel86
AMBVISBY, Front Office Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, 12 July 2014
Dear Subel96,

It is very unfortunate that you had such a bad experience while visiting our property. Although we are an older property, we have passed all necessary inspections for years. We take pride in our property with customer service ranked our number one priority. The experiences you described regarding the condition of your room are not characteristics of the level of service our colleagues strive to provide, and we again apologize your stay was unsatisfactory. Your feedback was shared with our team, and we look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back and exceed your expectations.

Fayetteville, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

Very nice & reasonably priced. Close to shopping & restaurants which make it very convenient.
Continental breakfast was one of the best we have had at any hotel
Pool was clean & plenty of chairs for guests to use. Especially appreciated that we could get bags of ice for only $1 since we were therefor ball tournaments we needed a lot.

Staff was friendly & very pleasant to talk to.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear Sandy M,

Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding your stay here at America's Best Value Inn. We appreciate your feedback which helps us to best meet our guests needs. I am happy to hear that our property was nice and reasonably priced. We are also pleased to hear that you really enjoyed our complimentary breakfast to get a jump start on your day, and our pool to lay back and relax in. We are happy to provide $1, 8lb ice bags for our guests to fill up their coolers to travel to the beach to relax or to just take along to their games. Again we thank you and look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Laurel, Maryland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

I had already killed a dozen flies in the room. I let the front desk know and housekeeping came and sprayed two and left. To get some sleep, I had to sleep with my head under the sheet. I left there tired and frustrated.

• Stayed June 2014
4 Thank NeedR
Dear Need R,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to review our facility. We would like to sincerely apologize for the condition of your room upon check-in. We have had a issue with flies this year, but we have our exterminators working on resolving this issue. This is not how we want our guest to remember their stay with us. We hope you give us another opportunity to serve you.

S.Nelson
Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

This was a great stay for our softball team. The staff provided us with a place to gather during bad weather so we could hang out together. The children all had fun in the pool. Breakfast was good and the staff were very friendly. We look forward to staying there again next year.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jeff S
Dear Jeff S,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay here at America's Best Value Inn. I am very delighted you enjoyed your stay and to have earned such a good review from you. I am pleased to hear that our staff made accommodations for you during the bad weather. We are also pleased to hear you enjoyed our relaxing pool and our complimentary continental breakfast. Thank you for your compliments it shows we are doing a great job connecting with our guests. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to seeing you in the future.

S.Nelson