“Nice Affordable Stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Salisbury
Port Republic, MD
“Nice Affordable Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2013

Went down to visit family, and have stayed at The Comfort before. It was under construction, and now one side is completed and the rooms are almost updated. Nice stay, and have been lucky to get a Jacuzzi room on request for a fair price.

Room Tip: Inside entrance makes this a safe hotel, and the staff is always helpful.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
comfortinnsalisbury, General Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this review, 24 September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to put a review of our hotel on Tripadvisor. We truly appreciate it. We are glad that you had a wonderful stay at our hotel and we look forward to having you stay with us again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Hamburg, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

Don't trust the pictures, this Comfort Inn needs updating badly. We requested the non-smoking room prior to checking in. After check in got to the room, opened the door and immediately got blasted with smoke smell. Called the front desk, the found us two more rooms to try. Third room was a winner but still had a smoke smell. After a long day of travel (about two am), settled on this room. No discount from hotel after there mess up. Only a few of the lights worked, the A/C did not get cold and the windows are screwed shut.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
comfortinnsalisbury, General Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
Thanks for writing a review for our hotel. I would like to point out that the original reservation for this room was for a smoking room and the two room keys given were also for smoking rooms as we did not have any non-smoking rooms available for that day. The hotel is going through some major renovation and there may have been minor issues related to your stay, hotel does have new beds, new bedding, new carpets and new furniture in all the rooms. We get a lot of positives for our breakfast, our staff performance and of course, our clean rooms....I am sorry we could not meet your expectations but call me personally next time and we will make sure we exceed your expectations.

Travellers are raving about these Salisbury hotels

Albany, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2013

This Comfort Inn's franchise should be revoked by Choice Hotels. Our toilet, TV, and refrigerator were all broken.The phone system in the hotel doesn't work. There is not a door in the building that doesn't need a coat of paint or a thorough cleaning. I told the very courteous man at the front desk about the problems. He apologized and said there are renovations and cleanings going on throughout the hotel. Lot's of newer hotels in the area, pick any one.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Augustus117
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our hotel. I would like to only point out the fact that the ongoing renovations amidst the busiest time of the holiday season has definitely created some minor issues and I would like to sincerely apologize for the problems you encountered. The renovations are almost complete and all the doors have been freshly painted, the hallways have brand new carpets and also all the hotel rooms have new beds, bedding, furniture and new carpets as well. We have also refreshed our hot breakfast items to include sausage links, egg patties, two kinds of waffles etc. We are getting a lot of positive reviews for our renovated rooms and our staff service and we can assure you that if you stay with us again, you will see the difference. Thank you .
NJ
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

I gave it Poor because this was below average. If there was a 2 1/2 I may have chosen that.

We had just stayed in Williamsburg at a beautiful resort for 5 nights and on our way home stopped to sight-see then ran into some delays along with a nasty storm. Rather than drive what was to be a 6 hour drive arriving at 11 pm that turned into an 8 1/2 hour drive arriving at 1:30 am (with kids) in the rain we decided to stay the night. Checked my iPhone and found Salisbury was the next closest town and there were about 15 hotels. Every single one of them, except for the bottom of the list here, were booked full. I checked the next large town in DE and those hotels were also booked for the night. It was a Friday so people were traveling. I was concerned about staying here, but since I saw it was remodeling I figured it can't be that bad. Ugh.

I do want to start by saying the staff here was very nice and friendly. If I could write a review on staff alone I would give it a 5. I overheard the manager speaking to someone on the phone who obviously had a problem with a reservation. He was nothing but polite and courteous to that person, explaining the same thing about three times. I even understood the problem from hearing only one side of the conversation and I was amazed that he wasn't more frustrated. That being said, check in and out was a breeze and friendly.

Yes, the hotel is undergoing renovations but I'm not sure it will help. Regardless of other reviews there is absolutely new carpet everywhere we went and the lobby is nice. There were double doors that led from the lobby to the hotel. We joked to ourselves it was like being in a prison or mental institution-they were sold metal double doors with no windows that are apparently locked after 11 pm. Uh, ok. It made us nervous to see what was on the other side. There was no a/c in those hallways. It was HOT and smelled of smoke even though we were in a no-smoking section. There was an outside entrance that you needed your card to unlock, good. There were boxed new mattresses in the outside entrance hallway which although is a sign of renovations, the hallway smelled of smoke too which made me question what those new mattresses will smell like. This is a pet-friendly hotel but we did not hear any pets barking or notice any funky pet smells. We have a dog and love dogs so I don't know that we would've noticed or cared too much. We did meet a dog outside with his owner the next morning, and it was a pleasure speaking to them and petting their dog.

The room had new mattresses and linens were clean and soft. Pillows were horribly lumpy and smelled of smoke, but hey it was one night. No flat screen TV, it was an old CRT TV. Furniture was newer but it didn't look brand new to us, there was some oily substance on one of the chairs by the table. The lamps were not in the best condition (tilted permanently and dirty) and our phone said "Sheraton Ontario" on it. Windows were old and caulked shut. The A/C unit worked fine but seemed to draw in the smell of smoke from somewhere into our non-smoking room so the room had a smokers odor to it. The bathroom was a bit icky, for lack of a better term. A stain on the shower curtain and a funky fresh-looking stain on a towel, which went immediately on the floor in the corner of the bathroom. The ceiling was the still the old ceiling tiles which were stained and not seated properly. The floor was still the old linoleum. The room had a safe, but it was mounted to some post almost at floor level which actually made me laugh. The doors have been painted/stained to look new I think, but they are old heavy wood doors and the stain on them made them look dirty. The light switches were old and nasty. The wallpaper is still the old paper and is not in the best condition, nor is it clean. Coffee maker in the bathroom, we did not use. Luckily I bring wipes when we travel and the kids were happy I was able to wipe down things.

This didn't matter to us for one night but there is no pool or fitness center.

The hotel had a free breakfast. We got there early, and seating was not a problem, the room was clean. Family had waffles. I do not eat gluten and usually find that there is something eat for me but I couldn't eat the egg patty, it was gross almost rubbery and tasteless. I had bacon, and some oatmeal and fruit. There was no decaf coffee and they took the OJ away we thought to be refilled but it never came back before we were done, not sure why.

The hotel charged $159 plus tax = $179, for one night. This was very expensive. I had just paid $200 a night for a beautiful resort... we were desperate and had exhausted kids, so we gave in and spent the $179. Luckily I am a member of choice rewards and will get a $50 bonus for this stay, that helps.

Bottom line. Staff was super nice and on the ball, they belong someplace else. Good location near shopping and food. Lobby was nice but the hotel was dingy even with the renovations. I would not stay here again unless desperate. I'm a big Choice Hotels fan, but Choice Hotels has nerve charging $159+ tax for this room.

Room Tip: My only tip is to stay someplace else if you have a choice.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank andyandsueinNJ
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2013

The reviews weren't great, but the location and price was right. We spent $81 for the night, before taxes. The room was nice and comfortable. The check in clerk (Sandy) was very friendly, and helped us figure out a place to eat that night for supper (and it was a great recommendation). We used the hotel books from the rest stops. There was a funky smell in the hallways, but the room smelled clean and we had no issues. No ants in our rooms, as previously reviewed by others. Would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Bluffton, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

Nice place to stay when travelling the eastern shore. Convenient to nearby shopping and restaurants. Breakfast was the usual, but the service provided by the staff was very good, cheerful and pleasant.

Room Tip: Request not to be on the ground floor. Always advisable
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Sandwich, NH
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

While traveling from NH to Virginia we stopped in Salisbury, Maryland for the night. Having had good experiences with Comfort Inns in the past, when we spotted this one we decided to stay here for the night. We were really disappointed. Although the staff was excellent, other things weren't. We accessed our room through a side door which was like walking through a damp smelly basement. The hallways also had an odd unpleasant odor. The room was relatively clean but the bathroom had ants all over the tub and in the plastic cover on the shower head. it just looked shabby. We spent the night cause the room rate was inexpensive and we didn't want to go through the hassle of changing hotels. There are many places to stay in and around Salisbury, MD so I do not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple