“Premier Park on the Bay”

Point Lookout State Park
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Scotland
More attraction details
Owner description: This picturesque spot between the Potomac River and Chesapeake Bay served as a hospital and prison camp for Confederate soldiers during the Civil War.
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Maryland's Point Lookout State Park in Scotland, Md. is one of the finest parks in the Eastern Seabord of the US. It combines a large assortment of spacious and attractive camping spots in several different loops.....some with electricity and water hookups and all with commodius toilet and shower facilities. Two of the loops....Greens and Hoffmans even feature piers at which to dock your boat during your stay.!!.....there is an excellent boat launching facility with extensive parking and a separate fishing pier for those who wish to fish from shore. The park occupies the entire end of a penninsula at the entrance of the Potomac rive to the Chesapeake Bay. There is a lighthouse at the tip of the penninsula which can be visited on certain days and plenty of parking nearby to enjoy the vista of the river on one side and the bay on the other. There is also a Civil War Memorial on the grounds commemorating the prisoner of war camp. A large picnic area with access to a large protected beach for swimming also occupies the park. Be forewarned that all this beauty comes with a bevy of bugs and plenty of summer heat so gazebo's with mosquito netting will be much appreciated!

1  Thank hlove10587
There are newer reviews for Point Lookout State Park

Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

Beautiful, clean and friendly. Office, camp store employees and Park Ranger were all helpful. Happy I didn't listen to some of the negative reviews!

3  Thank carol r
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We camped here in a 35' travel trailer. The Tulip Loop is the only loop with full hookups. Our site was perfectly level and most other sites looked level. The only issue we had was that the sewer drain backed up after a few gallons of grey water, so we had to use the dump station when we left. The park is huge with lots to see and plenty of roads to walk or ride bikes. There are electric hookups in other sites near the water, but no water hookups - pretty strange. Overall this is a real nice place to camp, but we do understand the bugs are pretty bad in mid-summer.

1  Thank Lee T
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I did a quick drive through of Point Lookout State Park to see where th Potomac River meets the Chesapeak Bay. It was a scenic, peaceful drive. I was surprised to read that this is where over 50,000 Confederate soldiers were held as POWs. I stopped at the Point Lookout LIghthouse but it is only open to visitors the first Saturday of the month, between April and November. Nevertheless, it was a pleasant drive through a historic area.

4  Thank CCC_wanderlust
Reviewed 31 October 2013

I had the opportunity of camping in this beautiful park at the end of October. Our campsite was outstanding, what a beautiful location in the Greens Point Loop. The area was clean with newer bathrooms. I am giving this 5 stars due to location of the park and the lovely waters that surround it. The bathrooms were not very clean or well stocked. This is the end of the season, but they should have been tended to. I also felt the staff was not very friendly at check in or when answering questions during our stay. The naturalist at the nature center was awesome. She was full of information and very eager to share it. I am sure the kids that visit in the summer have a great time learning from her.
I plan to return here next year. I don't use the bathrooms, and now that I have been there, I don't need to converse with the park staff. I do have to say, that this has been the first Maryland State park with unfriendly staff members.
Check this place out, especially if you love the water and beaches, there is plenty of it around.

3  Thank nana1Woodbury_nj