“Good value... nice rooms... too far away.”

Hampton Inn Silver Spring
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Silver Spring
Reviewed 25 September 2013

My mother, sister, and I stayed at the Hampton Inn Silver Spring, MD for 3 nights in mid-September. We found a great (buy 2 nights, get 1 free) deal through Hampton Inn's website, so we booked the property, even though the reviews I read were mixed. I went in expecting the worse, but for the price we paid ($72/night), I was pleasantly surprised.

We checked in at around 9p on the first night, after a long bus trip and getting turned around in Union Station. The person working the front desk was a little gruff, but I chalked it up to me being super-sensitive after an exhausting day. There are plenty of restaurants around, but because we didn't go back to find food until after 10p, everything was closed but McDonald's. The Hampton Inn does have a little store where they stocked Hot Pockets, Lean Cuisines, etc..., but there aren't microwaves in the Hampton Inn rooms (there are microwaves in the Homewood Suites rooms).

The hotel's website claims a 9 minute walk from the station to the hotel, but we found it to be much longer, especially when you were lugging your suitcase from the station to the hotel. When you were heading back towards the station (downhill), the walk was around 8-9 minutes. I will add (and this wasn't something we were aware of when we started trekking it into Silver Spring) they do offer a shuttle from the metro station to the hotel (and vice versa). You just have to call and let them know beforehand. Also, the shuttle service ends at 10:30p and I'm not sure when it starts in the mornings. We didn't use this service, but I wanted to mention it because the hotel's website wasn't very clear about whether or not they offered this service.

The room, itself, was fine. Kind of long and a little narrow, but there was plenty of room for all 3 of us. Keep in mind, however, their site claims queen beds, but unless the queen beds in DC are smaller than the queen beds in TN, the beds were doubles.

The breakfast was typical Hampton Inn with a variety of cold things, and few hot items. The only thing I could complain about is the size of the breakfast area. It's not particularly small, but when you factor in that there around 10 floors, it got pretty cozy during peak breakfast times.

The only real issue that we had was an error in our statement. I charged a few things from the convenience store to our room (mostly sodas) and they had overcharged me. They also were going to charge the charges to my mother's debit card (what we had used to pay for the room) instead of my AMEX that I imprinted for incidentals. It was no big deal, in the end... I managed to get it changed, but it did take 15 minutes of our last morning. Which was time we didn't really have because we were trying to make sure we had plenty of time to walk to the metro station.

We picked this property mainly because of price. We were going to stay at the Doubletree in Arlington, but the free breakfast and internet had us changing our plans. If I had to do it all over again, I'm not sure if I'd pick this hotel next time. Not that there was anything wrong with the property, per se, it was just far from the metro and it was a 20+ minute metro ride to the Smithsonian metro station. When you are already exhausted from walking your legs off in DC, adding a 10-15 minute walk back to the hotel is like rubbing salt in a wound. I'm never saying never, however, because if there is a fabulous rate again, I may consider it, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Alana S, General Manager at Hampton Inn Silver Spring, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2013

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay in Silver Spring.and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit. Alana Smith

There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn Silver Spring

Reviewed 24 September 2013

I had a conference in DC and the host hotel was full so I headed for the nearest Hampton. Pretty much meets all of the standards. Room was great. Hallways need new carpeting. Free Breakfast is the usual fare. You will have to valet park your car for $15/ night. You will not want to try to use your car. DC area traffic is a nightmare nearly every day. Metro is a 3 block walk. Plenty of restaurants in the area and a mall across the street. Something unusual in the neighborhood: the American Film Institute has a theater just down the street that shows classic films. The hotel is actually divided into a Hampton and a Homewood Suites. I would definitely go back buth that's the case for any Hampton in my book.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Thank you so much for your comments regarding your visit to our property. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to having you stay with us again. Alana Smith

Reviewed 17 September 2013

I have stayed at this property numerous times and have always had a positive experience. The staff are very friendly and accommodating. The hotel is with in walking distance of just about any type of food and fun you desire. I will definitely be staying at this property again and would suggest anyone visiting the Silver Sping area to stay here.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
Alana S, General Manager at Hampton Inn Silver Spring, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2013

Thank You for your comments regarding your stay at our facility. We look forward to your next visit. Alana Smith,

Reviewed 12 September 2013

We stayed here in June, 2013. The hotel is very nice but our room was too small for a cot. We managed to squeeze it in but it was blocking access to the bathroom and doorway. We were very disappointed. Unfortunately, there was a larger room right next door that was empty. At $149 plus tax per night we didn't think this was a good value. We did give it a second try two weeks later and had a nicer room that accommodated a cot much better. The staff at the hotel are very nice and breakfast was quite nice.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your comments reagrding our property. We look forward to having you stay with us when you next visit the Silver Spring area.

Reviewed 9 September 2013

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Reviewed 4 September 2013

Had a really enjoyable 3 night stay at the end of August 2013 on a $79 per night deal. The hotel is very nicely furnished, both in the rooms and public areas. Definitely miles better than the competition and very classy. The room was big, the bathroom modern and whilst the a/c was a bit noisy, it was no different to your average Days Inn. The TV channel line up was good although the numbering was confusing.

Breakfast was of a good standard and well replenished. The pool and fitness areas were very well turned out too with modern equipment and clean facilities. Staff were very friendly and whilst free parking is always best, the valet parking meant you had no worries but was an unexpected additional expense. I used the business facilities and thought they were fine, the wifi could be slow at times but from what I could tell that depended on the number of users (a coach load of students checked in on our last night and the wifi ran slow that evening).

The location is really handy for downtown DC. Its about 7 mins walk to Silver Spring metro station and from there you can be downtown in about 20 mins or so. The local neighbourhood appeared safe, vibrant and there was loads of eating and drinking options within a couple of mins walk.

I would have easily rated this 5/5 but had one issue. As the rooms do not have fridges you are reliant on ice. I can live with that. However the ice machine on our floor and the next 3 floors above didn't work. I raised this with the receptionist on my first night but I could tell she wasn't interested. By the time I left not surprisingly, nothing had be done. And it was 90 degrees outside!

Overall, highly recommended and having stayed in 5 other competitor hotels in the previous 2 weeks, easily the nicest and classiest joint and great value. Well done Hampton Inn Silver Spring, I will be seeking out Hampton Inn's in the future if they are all like this one.

Room Tip: Lift service to the lower floors appeared more frequent, and quicker.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Nellym
Regional D, Manager at Hampton Inn Silver Spring, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2013

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. We have corrected the issue with our ice machines and look forward to your next visit. Alana Smith, Hotel Manager

Reviewed 3 September 2013

This is a pleasant place to reside for a short stay while visiting the Washington, D.C. area. Located in Silver Spring, it is reasonably close to the Metro if you are traveling via public transport. Of course, there is parking for those traveling by car. The hotel amenities are quite good and should satisfy most people's requirements. This is a good alternative to the over-booked and crowded Wash., D.C. hotels. The staff are pleasant and respectful; the rooms are clean and quiet. Well worth the stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
1  Thank Adrian C

Thank you for staying with us, and we look forward to seeing you again on your next visit. Alana Smith, Hotel Manager