“Poor choice” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Silver Spring
Boston, United States
“Poor choice”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

After my stay I am unlikely to stay at a Hampton again. Ice machine didn't work. Pillows average. Luggage cart was unavailable and worse, staff were unwilling reluctant to assist. No parking at hotel. Hotel breakfast was average hotel food. Water fountains didn't work. Strange that house keeping cleaned rooms late in the day with one exception, on the day of departure, house keeping knocked on door and asked when they should return ??

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Alana S, General Manager at Hampton Inn Silver Spring, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
We apologize for t he poor service your received on your recent visit to our hotel. We have addressed the issues you brought to our attention with our staff for correction. We appreciate your business and hope you will give us another opportunity to meet your expectations.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Turkish first
Ottawa, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

Arrived April 26 2014 - Departed April 28 2014 not a minute too soon!

After an 11 hour drive, my misadventure started off by not being recognized as a Hilton HHonors member by the Reception desk attendant (William), then to be told by him that there was no good place to eat around here. When I mentioned the Vietnamese restaurant across the street (which I found out later that the restaurant was closed), William stated, “I certainly would not eat there! “ When I asked why, he replied “I don’t eat that!” So I asked, what would you recommend? He asked the other clerk to provide me with a map of the restaurants in the area. I was truly surprised by the standoffish attitude and arrogance, not to mention the negativism from a Hilton brand representative.

This was then followed by being given e-keys which did not open the door to our room on the 5th floor, so back downstairs I went while my hubby waited with the portering cart upstairs. I was then informed by William that the room was not ready, hence gave me new e-keys for another room on the same floor. Back upstairs, I returned only to discover that the room was next to the elevator (my profile says nothing near elevators) and the room … well let’s say my home’s master bathroom was larger than this room which had a king size bed with no room to manoeuver, not to mention a room with a view of a solid brick wall. Back downstairs I went.

When I complained about the room being next to elevator and too small, with no view and not being what I had reserved, I received this HUGE sigh of disgust from William, who by now is GLARING at me. I informed him that I had never been so treated as a Hilton member and was not pleased at all. He muttered, offered no apologies and re-keyed the cards once more and told me it was on the same floor. Back upstairs, I returned to discover the room being adjacent to the first room. The e-key worked, but we could not bring the portering cart into our room to unload it because the room was too small. By this time, I was giving up, tired, frustrated and told my husband … NEVER AGAIN would we stay at the Silver Springs Hampton Inn. The room was facing the street; it was small and was quite odorous and too warm. We unpacked and headed out to find a restaurant, somewhere close by, since the reception clerks were of no help at all. When we returned we asked the reception clerk, which Metro we would have to take to go to Washington DC (see the National Mall, the Arlington Cemetery, etc…); she replied, she did not know and thought that they did not operate on Sundays… OMG Say what?!?!?! Do you live in the area? So you work in the area??

After a night of noisy sleep, the following morning after breakfast, we headed out towards the Silver Springs METRO stop where we were greeted by a friendly jovial Metro worker who informed us and guided us in purchasing a day pass to go and return. We had a lovely day!!!

When we returned to the room, we found a strong cigarette smell outside our room door and then again later on that evening. My husband and I are both non-smokers. Isn’t this a smoke free hotel?!?! My husband also noted that the smoke and fire detector in our room did not work, we pushed the button and nothing came on… and there was no pulse light emitting from it as at other hotels.

In addition, this room needs a new mattress and comforter... both were lumpy.

The following morning, I received my bill under the door, only to discover additional charges for the room, I quickly went to the desk to request a revised check out bill; the desk attendant said they were for the room upgrade to which I replied, “What upgrade? The room was the smallest room I have ever stayed in at any Hampton Inn or Hilton, the room was smelly, no fridge, no microwave. After the way we were treated here, I refuse to pay anything more than what I was originally quoted when I reserved.” The desk attendant said she would reverse the charges and printed me a new bill. ENOUGH SAID!

Room Tip: All rooms are small... your best bet is to stay elsewhere! Sad because the Hotel's location is...
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Please accept our apology for the poor service you received on your recent visit to our property.
We have addressed the issues with our staff and know you will see a diofference when you next visit our property. Thank you for allowing us to be your host.
Syracuse, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

The hotel is located approximately 3 blocks from the Metro Station. They have a complimentary shuttle to the Metro and will shuttle you to anywhere within a 3 mile radius of the hotel. Valet Parking is $15.00 per day as there isn't any self parking at the hotel during the week. There are several fast food restaurants, fine dining restaurants, a shopping center, drug store and a Whole Foods Market within walking distance of the hotel. Travel time on the Metro to the Smithsonian or the National Zoo is approximately 25 minutes. Buy the Smart Trip Card - Smithsonian Round Trip is $5.50 per person and the Zoo was around $7.30 per person depending on the times that you travel, i.e., Peak or Off-Peak. The Food Court at Union Station had something for everyone.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Thank you for your comments and we look forward to your next visit.
Long Island City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

Stayed for a weekend in March.

Parking was an issue, and we ended up paying for valet service. This was a bit of a hassle, we waited for the car for a while three times. Then we were stranded at the train station for nearly an hour waiting for the hotel shuttle, a manager finally came out and got us. I was traveling with an elderly person and could not hike uphill to walk back to the hotel.

Room was clean, bed was comfortable. Was good value for the rate.

The breakfast buffet was good, we liked the variety.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
WeWe apologize for the inconveneince you experienced on your recent stay with us. We have discussed your issues with our staff and feel confident you wll see the improvement on your next visit.
nyc, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

overall good value, but no on-site parking (unless you have $15 for valet parking). bath towels missing 2 nights out of 3, required 2 calls to lobby one night to rectify. rooms kept clean, and are spacious enough.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

We apologize for the inconvenience with the bath towels on your recent stay with us. We hope you will give us another opportunity to not only meet but exceed your expectations.
Torrington, Connecticut
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

I recently organized a trip to D.C. for my 8th grade students. This hotel put us on a floor that was under renovation. They put us on the 2nd floor that had table saws and other debris from the renovation. This was a safety concern, as it was in the stairwell. While it is good proximity to D.C., parking is limited, our bus had a very difficult time dropping us off and picking up. My room also hair ventilation issues, in the middle of the night I heard a sound that was similar to a helicopter propellor. After I investigated, I realized it was the ventilation system.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank hlaus
Please accept our apology for the poor service you received on your recent visit to our hotel. We hope you will give us another opportunioty to meet and exceed your expectations and stay with us on your next visit to Silver Spring.
Bloomfield CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

This Hampton Inn is a great place to stay when on a visit to D.C. It is three blocks from the Metro, and in an attractive, 'young' neighborhood with MANY moderately priced restaurants within 2-3 blocks. Wonderful complimentary breakfast to start the day, fresh hot coffee all day, a well trained and smiling staff, with clean comfortable facilities. Top job!

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Thank you for allowing us to be your host, it was a pleasure and we look forward to your next visit.