“Wonderful Staff”

Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Silver Spring
Huntingdon, Pennsylvania, United States
“Wonderful Staff”
Reviewed 24 December 2013

We have family in Silver Spring and travel there regularly; we had stayed at a couple of different hotels and decided to give this one a try. The hotel is modern, clean, and convenient to everything. Easy walk to all shopping and restaurants. (Note that the parking garage is actually on Wayne Ave and sort of behind the hotel - we came in from the wrong direction and had to circle the block a couple of times before we figured it out- but after the first time it was easy.) Desk, housekeeping and service staff are uniformly friendly and cheerful. We could often hear noise from the ice machine when we were out in the hall, but our room seemed well-soundproofed and quiet. Accommodations and staff get an A.
Only downside was the food - breakfast, coffee, and snacks are all at the "Bistro" in the lobby - and mostly seem to consist of prepackaged food items that the staff heats in a microwave. There are some bagels and oatmeal in the breakfast selection, but the eggs etc seemed pretty unappetizing. My husband must keep a gluten-free diet, and there was little there that he could eat. Fortunately the Whole Foods is right across the street. And bonus points go to the staff at the Bistro who were at least informed enough to know that nothing was gluten free, instead of giving us that deer-in-the headlights look that we sometimes get when we ask.
In response to a previous traveler's comment - the complimentary coffee is available at the Bistro- you just have to know to ask for it specifically, because it comes out of a different pot from the coffee that they sell (presumably it is not as good coffee.) This seems like a cheap move, and also unnecessarily complicated.
So, on the balance- pretty decent place. Accommodations definitely better than other places we have stayed; food not so much. We would probably stay there again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Cheryl B, General Manager at Courtyard Silver Spring Downtown, responded to this review, 11 January 2014
Thank you for reviewing our hotel! I appreciate your detail of the facilities and services you experienced during your stay and am happy that you feel we are a good option in Silver Spring. I'm sorry that our food options were not to your liking but I'm glad there was a close alternative for you choose. We strive to provide the best in product and service and truly appreciate the comments you've made. We look forward to our next opportunity to serve you.

Cheryl Barron

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Reviewed 23 December 2013

Arrived at the Silver Spring Metro station and called to request the shuttle. Was informed it would come in a few minutes. After about 15 minutes, I called back. A different person took my information. Still no shuttle. I called back. No explanation for its absence. Not a location for hailing a cab. I walked to the hotel - the person at the desk gave good directions.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Ann A
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your arrival experience. I'm sorry that you were not picked up promptly. I'm not sure what the circumstance were but I will share your review with the team so that we can improve our service in the future. I hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Regards,
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 15 December 2013

On my recent trip to visit family for Thanksgiving (11/27-12/2) we stayed at the Courtyard in downtown Silver Spring (rm.725). Both my children ended up getting sick on the flight from California and despite our efforts we left the room a mess several days in a row (used kleenex, wet bed sheets and towels and plenty of dirty diapers). It was a difficult trip with little sleep and lots of crankiness. It's difficult traveling with young children (mine are 1 1/2 and 3 1/2) but one nice perk is that someone cleans up after us every day- no small feat with little ones. The cleaning staff left our room perfectly clean each day and one of the housekeepers named Esmeralda even left us an extra box of kleenex and a note saying she hoped my children felt better- how sweet is that!? A couple days later more kleenex and a can of soup showed up in my room- I think from another member of the staff. As a mother of sick children, away from home, I can't tell you how much this personal touch meant to me. Courtyard- I hope you take as good care of these ladies as they took care of me.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am so pleased that Esmeralda took great care of you and I will definitely pass on your comments to her. She will be so pleased that her name was mentioned. If you are ever in the area I hope you come and see us again.

Cheryl
Illinois
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Stayed here for a business trip. The front desk staff was very friendly; the room was clean; the bed extremely comfortable; the housekeeping was great (they rolled up the cord on my curling iron for me every day, so neat! I felt guilty for not doing it myself.) you can walk to many shops, restaurants, CVS, and Whole Foods; and the gym was great. The only cons I can think of are the decor is a little tired and the rooms are noisy. I could hear everything in the hall as if it were in my room and even heard my coworker in the room next to me when she sneezed. I would stay here for business again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Cheryl B, General Manager at Courtyard Silver Spring Downtown, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Thank you for your comments regarding your most recent stay. I'm pleased to hear that our staff and accommodations met your needs however I'm sorry that surrounding noise disturbed part of your stay. Your comments are much appreciated as we continue to strive to provide exceptional experience for all of our guests. When your travel brings you back to the Silver Spring area we look forward to our next opportunity to serve you.
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott in Silver Spring Downtown while in town for a wedding. Although checking in very late at night, the staff was pleasant and very helpful. Room was clean and well maintained. As mentioned in other reviews, there are lots of shopping and restaurant options nearby. Would stay in again and recommend to others.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time for fill out a review on TripAdvisor. I appreciate your comments and we look forward to the next time we can be of service to you.
East Brunswick, New Jersey
Reviewed 7 November 2013

A very nice Marriott Courtyard. It has the new lobby and bistro which is convenient. The location right in the center of town makes it convenient for other restaurants, eateries, if you want to go out. The staff was friendly and the rooms were nice and clean. As a business traveler I particularly liked that the alarm clock had an iPhone charger built in. I can't tell you how many times I forget a charger. I wish all hotels had this! Overall a pleasant stay and I will be back if I'm in the area again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor. I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed your experience with us and look forward to our next opportunity to serve you.
Philadelphia
Reviewed 29 October 2013

For us, fairly well-traveled, there were a lot of positives. They gave me just what I had requested when reserving: a quiet room away from the elevator. I guess those were the extra down pillows I ordered on the relatively comfy bed, though when we return I'd like a couple more. Nice mini-fridge that was cold on arrival. Good and amply stocked in-room coffee service. Trash cans were lined, unlike one pricey property we just stayed at. Wi-fi was good and free, the TV was better than said recent pricey property -- it even got RTE for the hubster! Awesome location near ice skating rink (wheeee-- do it!), Whole Foods, Baja Fresh, CVS, Marshalls and more. The desk clerk was grace under pressure, checking us in calmly amidst ringing phones and a growing queue (note to management: give her a hand, please). We didn't get the hang of not paying for parking on the weekend, but paying for the parking on Friday afternoon... but suffice it to say that we parked for just $4 for 24 hour and that's a steal just about anywhere. I was able to control the room temp and use the continuous fan without a problem. The carpets seemed fairly clean, as did the main room and bed linens.

The problems - which I have shared with Marriott via their Customer Care -- came in the bathroom, where the towels were not pleasant in texture, smell or appearance (e.g., flat, crunchy, and smelled like whatever my sports club recently switched to for their towels, def. not Tide with Bleach Alternative). They appeared greyish in cast though that could have been the lighting. However, there was a stain on the bath mat and one of the towels just didn't seem clean to me. Then there was the problem with the diverter from tub to shower. It didn't work. Well, it worked about 50%, pushing some of the water into the shower head but leaving the other 50% to quickly fill the tub around our ankles during both of our showers so that we were standing in what one might call a "tubower." The result was unhygienic and unpleasant. I realize there's a lot for housekeeping to check but this is not something that should ever happen. We were only there a night or we would have had management address it for us.

We are returning and liked this particular room for its space and quiet location, and hopefully we can stay there again but with the shower situation fixed. Hoping they do a better quality control job with the towels in future, if they aren't going to crazy bleach and fluff them old school which would be my preference.

Room Tip: 521 was quiet but only if they fix shower situation