“The Marriott Courtyard - Silver Spring, MD - 'My home away from home'”

Courtyard Silver Spring Downtown
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Silver Spring
“The Marriott Courtyard - Silver Spring, MD - 'My home away from home'”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

The Marriott Courtyard - Silver Spring, MD is strategically located downtown next to an IMAX theater, several restaurants and retail stores.

Hotel guests are provided free access to Washington Sports and Fitness which is connected to the hotel.

The hotel staff is extremely friendly and the bartender (Jan) is known for his tasty and potent Long Island Ice Teas:)

Definitely a place I enjoy coming back to when I am working in the DC area!!

• Stayed August 2014
3 Thank skwilbur930
Cheryl B, General Manager at Courtyard Silver Spring Downtown, responded to this review, 5 September 2014
Hi Sean, Thank you for this wonderful review of our hotel. I will share your comments with Jan as I'm sure he will be so thrilled to have been recognized. I truly appreciate you taking the time to comment on our hotel and I look forward to seeing you again soon.

Have a great weekend.
Cheryl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Newtown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 13 August 2014

This was my second stay at this hotel, which I chose this time based on convenience and price as well as my overall experience last time I stayed. As during my last visit, the weekday $13/day parking fee at the attached public parking garage did not apply on the weekend, so I only had to pay for a few hours parking after 7 AM before my Monday morning checkout.

I arrived in the evening, and check-in was flawless. The room was spacious and comfortable and the amenities were as I remembered them. So far, so good.

In the morning, I had an early breakfast and then returned to my room to await to be picked up by family to spend the day. However, my key no longer opened the door to my room. The staff at the front desk assumed I had demagnetized my key, although it worked fine in the elevator, and I received a new one. This one failed to open my door as well. I suggested that someone with a master key try to open my door, which would confirm whether the problem was with the door or my keys. Five minutes later, a member of the maintenance staff failed to open my door with his key, concluding the battery in the door lock was run down.

Unfortunately, only the engineer could check and replace the battery and he was not scheduled to arrive until after I departed. Luckily, I had taken all the things I needed for the day to breakfast with me, otherwise the problem could have put a severe crimp in my visit. I spent the next several hours, however, walking around the deserted streets (Sunday morning) or waiting in the lobby. Although I turned it down, the front desk staff did offer to allow me to relax in another room while I waited, which I appreciated. After leaving for my day's activities, I received a call from the hotel mid-afternoon to let me know the battery had been replaced and the lock now worked.

On one hand, I was disappointed that no staff member was on site Sunday morning who could get me into my room; on the other hand, given this constraint, I felt like the staff handled my situation professionally, including making reasonable accommodations to me as a valued customer.

Although I expect the problem I had with my door is infrequent, I was surprised that the hotel did not have a way to address it quickly. I suggest that the hotel develop a plan to ensure that a qualified staff member is on site (or on call and reasonably close) 24/7 when similar problems arise.

Based on my experience during my previous visit and the staff's professionalism both times, I would be comfortable returning to this Courtyard in the future.

Room Tip: Rooms facing courtyard are quiet.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank DrBB
Thank you for your very detailed review of our hotel. I appreciate you taking the time to comment on your stay and I apologize that we did not handle the lock situation in a more appropriate manner. I will share your comments with our team in order to provide better service in the future and we will look forward to our next opportunity to serve you.

Best Regards
Ocean City, Maryland
Reviewed 4 August 2014

The first reason to stay here is location. Walking distance from metro, one block from Discovery Center, in part of the downtown Silver Spring mall area. Multiple parking garages for $13 a day. Rooms were comfortable, staff was helpful, and the in hotel food service good for a quick lunch or breakfast. The fitness center is the local gym with everything you could want. The small courtyard was pleasant. Would stay there again in the need arose.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank DRJLF
Cheryl B, General Manager at Courtyard Silver Spring Downtown, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Thank you for that wonderful review. I appreciate you taking the time to comment about your stay. We hope you come back soon!
Fairfield, Connecticut
Reviewed 23 July 2014

This is an update Courtyard hotel and the hotel looks/feels very much like other recently updated Courtyard hotels. I stayed here because I could not find a reasonable rate in DC (Microsoft convention week). I liked how close it is to the metro, which provided an easy ride into the city. Staff were friendly, the room was clean and ample in size, and there are lots of food options nearby. I would consider staying again here.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Jose O
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I appreciate your comments and I'm glad to see your Courtyard Loyalty. Come and see us again sometime soon. We would happy to welcome you back.
Woodbridge, Virginia
Reviewed 15 July 2014

This is the best place to stay in Silver Spring by far. Great staff and very nice rooms. The management does a great job setting the expectation because every time I stay here, regardless of who is working I am treated and greeted the same way. I love the location and the parking garage is super convenient. If I have to stay in Silver Spring there is no question where I will spend the night. Highly recommended!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Will S
Wow, thank you for this awesome review. I'm so glad that you enjoyed your experience while with us and were willing to share your comments. We look forward to the next time you visit us.
Pequannock, New Jersey
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Very nice and clean Hotel. It is outside of D.C. but the Metro (subway) takes you right to downtown D.C. Room was spacious, clean, and comfortable. Staff was very nice and TV service was good. There is a nice little patio on the lobby floor. It is kind of weird being on top of a Washington Sports club. I like how the parking garage is right next to the hotel. But be warned, everything in the hotel is expensive.

Room Tip: You need your key to use the elevator
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Matthew W
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. I appreciate your comments and look forward to seeing you again soon.
New Jersey
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Top notch hotel situated in a great location close to everything. UMD just a 10 minute drive away. Staff goes out of their way to ensure you are comforatable. Rooms are very large and comfortable. Plenty of free parking. Free breakfast is included. Breakfast contains an amazing variety of hot and cold food. Free WiFi, with gym, pool and BBQ area. basketball court is also available. Will definitely be back!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay and were able to experience all that Silver Spring has to offer. Our close proximity to UMD has made us a perfect choice for families coming in to visit students. Come and see us again soon!