“Immaculate Room”

Courtyard Silver Spring North/White Oak
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Silver Spring
Reviewed 7 October 2013

As a manufacturer's rep for 36 years, I have stayed at hotels hundreds, if not, thousands of times and never felt the urge to review. In this case, I can say that my prompt involved the cleanest hotel room that I have ever encountered. The room was immaculate, quiet and the location provided easy access to DC via car.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Michael E
GreenbeltGM, General Manager at Courtyard Silver Spring North/White Oak, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for the Silver Spring North Courtyard by Marriott. It was so very gratifying to read your review. I happy to hear that you were pleased with the cleanliness of your room. We are very proud of our Housekeeping Department and I will most certainly pass on your comments.

I hope that you will stay with us in the future should your travels return you to the area.

Reviewed 5 September 2013

Here's the good:
This hotel is newly renovated. Check-in was excellent. The staff was efficient and polite. The entire property was quiet. The common areas were spotlessly clean. The beds were extremely comfortable and the linens were snowy white. Free wi-fi.

Here's the bad:
A previous reviewer mentioned a lovely balcony. Our room had a balcony, but it was permanently locked (with a label stating "ATTENTION GUEST: THIS IS A PERMANENT LOCKING MECHANISM. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH. THANK YOU"). The amenities are basic, and not as they are currently depicted on picture #18 of 26 on the property description on this website. There was no body lotion or body wash. The condiment basket contained coffee but no tea. When we requested a tea bag, we were presented with one from the Bistro and charged $1.00 for it. Upon check-in we were informed that the pool would be open until 10:00 PM. We checked twice, at 8:30 & 9:30. The whirlpool and pool were covered and the door was locked both times.

Here's the ugly:
Our tub and sink had greasy films on them. The tub had an ugly dirty ring. We stood on a towel when we showered.

Misc. information:
If you are staying here to go to Silver Spring proper, this is not the place for you. It took 35 minutes to get into Silver Spring at 8:30PM Friday night (Google maps it as 12 minutes) because of heavy traffic - normal for the DC area.

The Marriott Bistro concept is a total loss. If you want food, you'll have to go out for it.

If you know anything about sustainability, you may find the large pictures of green leaves and multiple cardboard cards (with green ink) sitting around the room a bit disingenuous, but credit where credit is due - at least the pool and whirlpool were covered.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
GreenbeltGM, General Manager at Courtyard Silver Spring North/White Oak, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate the great comments on the cleanliness and the condition of the hotel. However, we are sorry that we disappointed you where the cleanliness of the bathroom tub, pool hours and the balcony door is concerned.

The balcony doors are locked on the first floor facing the exterior of the building as a safety feature. We do have locks that are on the upper floors but they are all able to be unlocked. I am not sure why the pool was closed. However there were some evenings in August where there were lightening strikes and the pool must be closed for an hour after the strike occurs. Perhaps that is the reason that the pool was closed. I will address this with our pool operator to ensure that this was the reason. Thank you for drawing to my attention the issue with your bathtub. I have spoken with our Housekeeping Department to ensure that we take immediate corrective action to prevent this from happening in the future.

Again, thank you so much for bringing these issues to my attention.

I hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you should your travels return you to our area.

Reviewed 19 August 2013

My husband and I stayed two nights at the Courtyard Marriott on Prosperity Dr. The room was very comfortable and extremely clean. I requested a top-floor room. The hotel was very quiet even though there were many guests. Check-in was a breeze & all of the front desk employees were gracious & eager to answer any questions we had. I would definitely stay there again. Plus the beds are so comfortable you won't want to get out of them.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor & be sure to say if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
GreenbeltGM, General Manager at Courtyard Silver Spring North/White Oak, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so very much for taking the time to write a review of the Courtyard by Marriott Silver Spring North/Calverton. I am gratified to hear that you enjoyed your rooms and the services at the hotel. I invite you to visit us in the future should your travels return you to the area.

Silver Spring Courtyard by Marriott

Reviewed 30 July 2013

The hotel is located in an area that is mainly residential, so only a few restaurants close by. Rooms are clean and staff is very helpful. A limited cafe that offers all of the basics at reasonable prices. The indoor pool hours are inconvenient -- only open after 5 pm during the week. Overall enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Courtyard rooms have the best view.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
GreenbeltGM, General Manager at Courtyard Silver Spring North/White Oak, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2013

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am glad that to hear that your were satisfied with your visit. I am sorry that the pool hours were not convenient for you. We have to have a pool operator/guard on duty and as such we open during the evening on the weekday and all day on weekends.

We hope that you will visit us if you come back to Silver Spring.

Courtyard by Marriott Silver Spring North

Reviewed 29 July 2013

The staff truly is wonderful. But they cannot make up for what this hotel lacks. If you are just going for business for a night, this will be fine. Unless you are wanting a nice fitness area. This hotel does not have a nice one AT ALL. No water, no towels, one treadmill from the 1980s, an elliptical in need of servicing and one weight bench. Everything was dirty too. The rooms are small for a Courtyard, but we were hardly ever in them. Indoor pool and hot tub was nice, and it's nice that they have a lifeguard, but they are only open 5-10pm. They do offer the pool at the Residence Inn down the street, but who wants to lug everything down the street and come home soaking wet? Rooms were always cleaned very well. One really outstanding thing they did, they had ran out of detergent (there is an onsite laundry...not free though), someone on the staff had went out and bought some and they had put them in individual (enough for a large load) ziplock bags. We really appreciated whomever did that! The Bistro had decent food. It was a quiet hotel too.

Room Tip: We had a courtyard room not far from the elevator, but the elevator is slow so we always took the st...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
GreenbeltGM, General Manager at Courtyard Silver Spring North/White Oak, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2013

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at the Silver Spring North Courtyard by Marriott. I am happy that you thought the staff as wonderful as I do. I am very proud of them all. I will pass on your comments.

I am sorry that you were disappointed with our exercise room. You are 100% correct it is outdated and lacking. However, I have wonderful news! We will be replacing all of our equipment this week to be exact. Once the room is completed we will have, a new elliptical, treadmills and weights. They will include built in televisions. We are very excited to see the results. I hope that you will have the opportunity to utilize them in the future.

Thank you again for your patronage of the hotel and please visit us again.

Reviewed 28 July 2013 via mobile

Great staff and rooms very clean when we went the pool was closed but we had a great view of a nice pretty scenery out our sliding door very comfortable beds kind of felt like a piece of heaven but no microwave in rooms overall I would stay there again

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank Mytrio

I am so happy that you enjoyed our hotel. It was lovely to hear your comment about our brand new beds that were replaced during our renovation that ended in April.

So sorry that the pool was closed. We must have a pool guard/operator on duty to open so during the week we open in the evening from 5pm to 10pm. On the weekends we are open all day. Perhaps you can come back again on the weekend and enjoy our pool and whirlpool at that time.

As to the microwaves you are correct they do not come with our standard rooms but next time please call down to the desk and we will get one right up to you. We do have them on hand by request.

We hope that you enjoy the rest of the summer and please visit us again in the future.

Reviewed 28 July 2013

My husband and I enjoyed this hotel so much, we were sad to leave. The room was very clean, the bed extremely comfortable and my husband enjoyed having a sofa to relax on while watching the flat screen TV. I enjoyed the free and fast Wifi and the comfortable work desk and desk chair. Our room faced the courtyard and had a small balcony with two chairs and a table. We didn't use the balcony, though, due to the hot weather. Our room was quiet, even though the ice machine was across the hall. The bathroom was actually two rooms. The tub and toilet were in a one room. The sink and closet were together, making a great little dressing room. There were lots of hangers, a full size ironing board and iron, and a hairdryer. We asked for a small refrigerator and it was promptly delivered. Staff here were very friendly. We were able to be in downtown DC in no time, once we found the Metro station and parking (Glenmont was easy to get to even during rush hour and had a good parking garage that was easily accessible). It took us about half an hour to drive to Baltimore to see a baseball game at Camden Yards.We enjoyed the restaurants at the mall down the road. We also enjoyed the Bistro in the lobby. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for the wonderful comments. Here at the Courtyard by Marriott Silver Spring North we strive to provide best in class service to our valued guests and I am most gratified to see that we did not let you down.

We appreciate that you took the time to write your review. I invite you to come and visit us in the future should your travels return you to our area.

All our best,