“Noise Problems”

Courtyard Silver Spring North/White Oak
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Silver Spring
Reviewed 22 May 2014

We stayed here twice recently, once uneventfully for 2 nights, then one night a week later.

They put us the second stay in a room with a connecting door, room 340.

At 6:10 am, the person in the next room turned on their tv or radio and it woke both of us as if it were right an alarm clock radio right next to our bed. Unbelievably loud and clear transmission of noise right through the connecting door.

I got the neighbor to turn it off, although her hair dryer kept us for another half hour or so as if the sound was in our room. I also spoke to front desk which seemed to know that this noise problem existed (why never fixed?)

Told hotel manager Albert about it later, he was very nice about it, said they were going to check it out as he suspected there was a lack of foam around the connecting door. He also suggested particularly quiet rooms for future stays (which are not likely to happen).

But bottom line is that we got to wake up when the early riser next door did, instead of a couple hours later.

Overall hotel is very clean, well maintained and convenient.

But the noise problem would keep me from returning.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Joel B
GreenbeltGM, General Manager at Courtyard Silver Spring North/White Oak, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Dear Joel,

Thank you for the feedback regarding your stay at the Silver Spring Courtyard by Marriott.

We were happy to read that your initial stay was pleasant but sorry to hear that the second stay was uncomfortable because of the noise from the surrounding rooms. I am glad that Albert was able to take care of you and provide you with some bonus points to your Marriott Rewards account.

I hope that this issue will not deter you from coming back in the future as it is will be our pleasure to have the opportunity to serve you once again.

Danielle Marie Hood

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Just got back from a mini-vacation with my boyfriend and a bunch of friends. We arrived early (noonish) and were met with really friendly staff and were able to check in. Our king room was clean and standard for a Courtyard. We were on the Cherry Hill side. They must have known we were a loud bunch cause the noise didn't bother us at all. The only complaint I have about the room was that the mini-fridge took almost a full day before anything got cold.

The shower was great. Hot water stayed really hot throughout my daily long showers. Couldn't hear the neighbors. Ample supplies were available. The bed was super comfy and the air conditioner was nice and cold. The housekeeping staff were really nice but they did knock on the door one morning even though we had the "shhh, I'm sleeping" tag on the door. No real biggie.

The lobby and courtyard were very nice. The breakfast was good,I just wish it were a buffet style and lasted a little longer (since a lot of us aren't early risers). Thank god for Starbucks coffee. Haha.

There were probably roughly 30+ of us staying over the weekend and we were a rowdy bunch and possibly a visual shock to some. The staff was very accommodating and helpful with getting us taxi services to downtown Silver Spring and letting us know what the rates would be. It would have been great had there been a shuttle service that would take you from the hotel to the Metro and other surrounding areas. Luckily, there was an ample amount of places to eat within a 10 minute walk.

Again, I would definitely recommend staying here. Clean hotel, nice staff but just a bit out of the way for any touristy options.

Shawn Defibaugh

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank TxDevil
GreenbeltGM, General Manager at Courtyard Silver Spring North/White Oak, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Dear Shawn,

Thank you for your review. I am so happy that you had a good stay with us. I remember you all distinctly. You were a fun bunch. Please come back and see us again soon.

I will ensure that we check on that fridge that took some time to cool. Thank you for drawing it to our attention. Also I will talk to our Housekeepers to ensure that they are not overlooking the door cards and knocking prematurely.

If you are back in the area please come back and visit us. We would be happy to have you!

Have a great remainder of the week,

Courtyard by Marriott Silver Spring North

Reviewed 9 May 2014

Have stayed at this hotel 5+ times over the past year for business. Overall can't complain too much because the room is clean and the front desk staff is welcoming. I've complained about the side doors not working a couple times with the hotel key card, and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. One annoyance is the lunch/dinner counter is not open all day. Very specific hours, so someone in my position had to go elsewhere for food. On the occasions I have eaten there, I've been somewhat not impressed. Takes forever to get food and the service isn't as friendly. So just as my title says...Average...

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear Vincent,

Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. Allow me to take this opportunity to say thank you for your business. I am happy to hear that you find the hotel clean and the Front Desk welcoming.

As to the Bistro thought it is not open during the day we do have sandwich's, salad's and a variety of frozen meals, soups etc. that are available in our Market. The Bistro does get very busy particularly in the mornings. We have been trying different things to alleviate the lines and it is always on our radar.

I am most disappointed to hear that you find the Bistro Associates to be lacking in friendliness. That is 100% in our control and is inexcusable. I will be speaking with my Associates to ensure that this does not continue.

When you are back in the area please stop in and say hello. I would love to meet you face to face.

Have a great day,

Reviewed 18 April 2014

We have stayed at Courtyards before and have found them to be quite nice. Silver Spring North, in our opinion, did not live up to the normal Marriott standards. While the room was clean and the bed comfortable, upon entering the room there was a strong chemical smell that did not go away until the following day. The front desk staff was nice enough upon check-in, but the next day upon asking a question the lady at the desk was extremely rude, with an attitude that simply didn't belong there. Actually, the nicest people in the hotel were the cleaning people, smiling and friendly. My thought was, why not put them at the front desk and the front desk staff cleaning rooms? A 3-star is rather generous and only given due to the kind people that cleaned the rooms.
Not the best place for the price, I wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: Don't get a room on the Cherry Hill Rd side; noisy!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
GreenbeltGM, General Manager at Courtyard Silver Spring North/White Oak, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the hotel.

I am so sorry to hear that there was a chemical odor in the room when you arrived. We have been using some new products to stain our furniture and I think that may be the culprit. We will definitely ensure that we have the rooms sit longer to avoid this happening in the future.

Additionally I will speak with our Desk Attendants because any negative attitude is simply unacceptable.

I will pass on your nice comments to the Housekeepers and recognize the entire Team for a job well done. We are very proud of the care and the hard work that they do day to day to keep the rooms clean and comfortable for our Guests.

I hope that you will consider giving us another opportunity to serve you in the future should you return to the area.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

Right off the expressway, I agree with other reviewer that it's a bit far out if staying to see Washington. We had a couple of confusing drives getting from the hotel to the Metro system.
There are other Marriotts closer that you could actually walk to the Metro from. The rooms were clean and beds extra comfy. There are so many places to eat near downtown but after walking around DC for hours, we came back to the hotel to colapse. Since my daughter was hungry, we tried the lobby restaurant. The gentleman there made one of the best grilled ham and cheese (with appleslaw) I've ever tasted. We should have ordered two. Nice front desk. A little issue with the bathroom sink and it getting stuck closed. Also requested 4 towels for 4 people (leaving a tip for request as well.) we got them the first day and then 3 again the second. Not a huge deal.

Room Tip: Ask for court side. The street side was noisy with traffic and sirens all night long.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
GreenbeltGM, General Manager at Courtyard Silver Spring North/White Oak, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I am happy that you found the hotel clean and comfortable. I am also a big fan of our new seasonal sandwich, the delicious ham and cheese with apple slaw!

You are also correct though we are very close to D.C. there are other hotels that are closer in proximity. We are a good fit when travelling to D.C. if you have a car and or are willing to take the metro bus down to the Silver Spring Metro.

I am sorry that there an issue with the faucet. We strive to have everything in working order at all times.

I hope that you had a great holiday weekend and please come back and visit us if your travels return you to our area.

Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed at this hotel while searching for an apartment. I booked it online before checking out its location. It's located in Silver Springs, but it's removed from much of the city. The staff was super friendly and the bistro in the lobby was convenient. Our room was nice and the bed was comfy. The room had a couch, too.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lovetoroadtrip82
GreenbeltGM, General Manager at Courtyard Silver Spring North/White Oak, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

Dear Lovetoroadtrip,

I am happy to hear that you had a pleasant experience at the Silver Spring North Courtyard by Marriott. I was especially gratified to read that you found the staff "super friendly." I will share your comments with them.

We are approximately 6 miles from downtown Silver Spring. However, we are strategically located close to several major roadways and as a result what are a few miles can seem significantly longer. This is both a challenge and a bonus.

I hope that you were able to find an apartment. If you are now a neighbor please stop in and have a bite to eat or a Starbucks. We would love to see you again.

Danielle M. Hood

Reviewed 30 March 2014

I stayed in this property often when tavelling on business in this area. It's your typical Marriott Courtyard property that recently went through an upgrade. As always, the remodeled units have very comfortable beds and property for the most part is pretty quiet. If you want to eat out, you'll need to take a little drive to strip malls nearby.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
GreenbeltGM, General Manager at Courtyard Silver Spring North/White Oak, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the feedback regarding your stay at the Silver Spring North Courtyard by Marriott. I hope that you will continue to utilize us when you are in the Silver Spring/Calverton area. Please reach out to me directly should you have any questions or concerns.

Danielle M. Hood