“Pleasant Helpful Staff”

Courtyard Silver Spring North/White Oak
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Silver Spring
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Arrived early but no problem checking-in. Room and facility clean as well as the lobby and surrounding area. Encountered a minor problem quickly taken care of by Albert James. Excellent, quiet night sleep. Although entirely booked, no issues. Well done.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
GreenbeltGM, General Manager at Courtyard Silver Spring North/White Oak, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank for the review of the Silver Spring North Courtyard by Marriott. We really appreciate it.

I am happy that you enjoyed your visit and that the issue that you experienced was taken care of quickly and efficiently. We will ensure to recognize Albert in our next meeting.

Please come and visit us in the future.

Silver Spring Courtyard by Marriott

Reviewed 29 May 2014

I've stayed in many Courtyards and have yet to be unhappy with any. This one is very good, with helpful staff, welcoming common areas, and good-sized, immaculate sleeping rooms. There is free Wi-Fi in the rooms and lobby, as well as a well-equipped business area featuring desktop computers with fast internet access and printers. The lobby area is spacious and comfortable. The counter that serves as a coffee shop in the morning becomes a bar in the evening. In no hurry, I lingered over an excellent, cooked-to-order breakfast in the morning. It's not included with the room, but not too badly priced at about $10 for bacon, eggs, toast and (Starbucks) coffee. There's a fitness center and pool.
The only downside is that there are no other businesses in the immediate area (unless you want to buy a Jeep). However, just a five-minute drive down the road brings you to a shopping center with a TGI Friday's, an IHop, a Five Guys and a few other eateries and shops.
This Courtyard is fine. I visit the Silver Spring area several times a year and won't hesitate to return.

Room Tip: On the first floor level there are a number of direct exits to the parking lot.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

Dear Bill,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Courtyard by Marriott Silver Spring North.

I am gratified to hear that you think so very highly of our Courtyard brand as a whole. We AGREE with you 100%. We all strive as a brand toward providing consistent service and cleanliness and I am so happy to hear that we provided that for you.

I cannot wait to meet you when you return. Please stop in and ask for me so that I may thank you in person.

Have a great week,

Silver Spring Courtyard by Marriott

Reviewed 29 May 2014

We stayed in this hotel to be close to UMD for graduation. It is much more pleasant than the hotels on Route 1 in College Park, but similar in pricing. University of Maryland is a quick drive, even in rush hour traffic. Parking is free and abundant, they have Starbucks coffee in the room and in the lobby. The lobby bar is cute and comfortable with many seating options. The staff was very friendly as mentioned by other reviewers. The room was very clean and the beds were very comfortable. We did not have any noise problems. My only complaint is that the room decor was severely lacking, although it did not bother anyone else in my party of 6 (3 rooms.)
One room was a suite. The bedroom was smaller, but the sitting room was spacious, with a sofa and two chairs, a desk and chair and a counter with a larger-than-mini-bar refrigerator. There was also a microwave. The sitting area was nice for our whole party to get together, although the lobby bar was nice enough for that too.

Room Tip: Our rooms faced the courtyard and were quiet. One room was a suite and we enjoyed the extra space.
1  Thank Allyson P

Dear Allyson,

Thank you for the review of the Courtyard by Marriott Silver Spring North.

First allow me to congratulate you for the friend or family member who graduated from UMD. I am so happy that you had a good stay with us and that you all appreciated the amenities that we have to offer.

I hope that you will come and visit us again should your travels return you to our area.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

We stayed here twice recently, once uneventfully for 2 nights, then one night a week later.

They put us the second stay in a room with a connecting door, room 340.

At 6:10 am, the person in the next room turned on their tv or radio and it woke both of us as if it were right an alarm clock radio right next to our bed. Unbelievably loud and clear transmission of noise right through the connecting door.

I got the neighbor to turn it off, although her hair dryer kept us for another half hour or so as if the sound was in our room. I also spoke to front desk which seemed to know that this noise problem existed (why never fixed?)

Told hotel manager Albert about it later, he was very nice about it, said they were going to check it out as he suspected there was a lack of foam around the connecting door. He also suggested particularly quiet rooms for future stays (which are not likely to happen).

But bottom line is that we got to wake up when the early riser next door did, instead of a couple hours later.

Overall hotel is very clean, well maintained and convenient.

But the noise problem would keep me from returning.

1  Thank Joel B

Dear Joel,

Thank you for the feedback regarding your stay at the Silver Spring Courtyard by Marriott.

We were happy to read that your initial stay was pleasant but sorry to hear that the second stay was uncomfortable because of the noise from the surrounding rooms. I am glad that Albert was able to take care of you and provide you with some bonus points to your Marriott Rewards account.

I hope that this issue will not deter you from coming back in the future as it is will be our pleasure to have the opportunity to serve you once again.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Just got back from a mini-vacation with my boyfriend and a bunch of friends. We arrived early (noonish) and were met with really friendly staff and were able to check in. Our king room was clean and standard for a Courtyard. We were on the Cherry Hill side. They must have known we were a loud bunch cause the noise didn't bother us at all. The only complaint I have about the room was that the mini-fridge took almost a full day before anything got cold.

The shower was great. Hot water stayed really hot throughout my daily long showers. Couldn't hear the neighbors. Ample supplies were available. The bed was super comfy and the air conditioner was nice and cold. The housekeeping staff were really nice but they did knock on the door one morning even though we had the "shhh, I'm sleeping" tag on the door. No real biggie.

The lobby and courtyard were very nice. The breakfast was good,I just wish it were a buffet style and lasted a little longer (since a lot of us aren't early risers). Thank god for Starbucks coffee. Haha.

There were probably roughly 30+ of us staying over the weekend and we were a rowdy bunch and possibly a visual shock to some. The staff was very accommodating and helpful with getting us taxi services to downtown Silver Spring and letting us know what the rates would be. It would have been great had there been a shuttle service that would take you from the hotel to the Metro and other surrounding areas. Luckily, there was an ample amount of places to eat within a 10 minute walk.

Again, I would definitely recommend staying here. Clean hotel, nice staff but just a bit out of the way for any touristy options.

Shawn Defibaugh

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank TxDevil
GreenbeltGM, General Manager at Courtyard Silver Spring North/White Oak, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Dear Shawn,

Thank you for your review. I am so happy that you had a good stay with us. I remember you all distinctly. You were a fun bunch. Please come back and see us again soon.

I will ensure that we check on that fridge that took some time to cool. Thank you for drawing it to our attention. Also I will talk to our Housekeepers to ensure that they are not overlooking the door cards and knocking prematurely.

If you are back in the area please come back and visit us. We would be happy to have you!

Have a great remainder of the week,

Courtyard by Marriott Silver Spring North

Reviewed 9 May 2014

Have stayed at this hotel 5+ times over the past year for business. Overall can't complain too much because the room is clean and the front desk staff is welcoming. I've complained about the side doors not working a couple times with the hotel key card, and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. One annoyance is the lunch/dinner counter is not open all day. Very specific hours, so someone in my position had to go elsewhere for food. On the occasions I have eaten there, I've been somewhat not impressed. Takes forever to get food and the service isn't as friendly. So just as my title says...Average...

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear Vincent,

Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. Allow me to take this opportunity to say thank you for your business. I am happy to hear that you find the hotel clean and the Front Desk welcoming.

As to the Bistro thought it is not open during the day we do have sandwich's, salad's and a variety of frozen meals, soups etc. that are available in our Market. The Bistro does get very busy particularly in the mornings. We have been trying different things to alleviate the lines and it is always on our radar.

I am most disappointed to hear that you find the Bistro Associates to be lacking in friendliness. That is 100% in our control and is inexcusable. I will be speaking with my Associates to ensure that this does not continue.

When you are back in the area please stop in and say hello. I would love to meet you face to face.

Have a great day,

Reviewed 18 April 2014

We have stayed at Courtyards before and have found them to be quite nice. Silver Spring North, in our opinion, did not live up to the normal Marriott standards. While the room was clean and the bed comfortable, upon entering the room there was a strong chemical smell that did not go away until the following day. The front desk staff was nice enough upon check-in, but the next day upon asking a question the lady at the desk was extremely rude, with an attitude that simply didn't belong there. Actually, the nicest people in the hotel were the cleaning people, smiling and friendly. My thought was, why not put them at the front desk and the front desk staff cleaning rooms? A 3-star is rather generous and only given due to the kind people that cleaned the rooms.
Not the best place for the price, I wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: Don't get a room on the Cherry Hill Rd side; noisy!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
GreenbeltGM, General Manager at Courtyard Silver Spring North/White Oak, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the hotel.

I am so sorry to hear that there was a chemical odor in the room when you arrived. We have been using some new products to stain our furniture and I think that may be the culprit. We will definitely ensure that we have the rooms sit longer to avoid this happening in the future.

Additionally I will speak with our Desk Attendants because any negative attitude is simply unacceptable.

I will pass on your nice comments to the Housekeepers and recognize the entire Team for a job well done. We are very proud of the care and the hard work that they do day to day to keep the rooms clean and comfortable for our Guests.

I hope that you will consider giving us another opportunity to serve you in the future should you return to the area.