“Dirty, dated, and not nice”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Washington DC - Silver Spring
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Silver Spring
Portsmouth, Virginia
“Dirty, dated, and not nice”
Reviewed 2 September 2014

Was very disappointed with this property. Did not have items in the room that were supposed to be there. Everything was old and clunky. Damaged and rundown. Couldn't believe this was a Hilton property. Big thumbs down

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
jimsalvo, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Washington DC - Silver Spring, responded to this review, 4 September 2014
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and am quite disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us as that is certainly not the norm. Would truly appreciate if you would be able to provide me more specific details so I may follow up immediately. I want to make it right! My email is jim.salvo@hilton.com Thank you.....

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Raleigh-Durham, United States
Reviewed 2 September 2014

The hotel itself is a really good property. It is in a great location for shopping, business, food and your local metro station. The service over all is really good, minus one person. I cannot rate the hotels over all experience poorly because of one employee. Despite the "one", the other employees were very friendly and pleasant and I can definitely appreciate that. Although it only takes one bad seed to ruin an experience, it did not in this case. The room was very clean, valet/bellman service was supreme. The front desk staff with the exception of the "one"(Jimmy) were an absolute treasure. I really appreciate great service it makes traveling so much easier. In regards, to the "one" I will have to say even management moved very quickly to resolve any issue and I can appreciate that. Will I return? Because of the location and all the other great experiences from the other employees, absolutely, I will just avoid the"one".

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thanks for the review and glad you found the hotel to your liking and the majority of the staff very accomodating. Would appreciate any further details you could share so I may follow up accordingly. My email should you wish is jim.salvo@hilton.com. Appreciate any feedback you can provide.
Los Angeles
Reviewed 2 September 2014

I stayed here while attending a conference held in the hotel. The DoubleTree's convenient location less than half a mile from the Metro station was nice, and the complimentary shuttle to/from the station was an added plus, especially for a first-time guest like me.

Unfortunately it appeared the hotel was conducting weatherproofing during our conference which ended up interrupting some of our sessions with loud noise. Not long after this was pointed out to hotel staff the noise died down, and I understand hotel management compensated my organization for the inconvenience. I think this experience soured some of my fellow attendees on this hotel, but I still found the venue above average.

The two-double-bed room I originally booked (all other room types were sold out) seemed like too much room for me, a single traveller, so I asked upon check-in if I could switch to a single-bedded room so as not to waste the space as the hotel was fully booked. Desk staff was able to accommodate me and put me in what I believe was a queen room. While right-sized for my stay, I discovered some notable problems with the room including a bathtub with a good amount of paint chipping, a peephole that was too cloudy or painted over to be usable, and a possibly broken fire alarm unit. Housekeeping seemed sufficient, though a prominent lipstick mark next to the peephole remained through my stay. I trust hotel staff would have addressed these issues had I reported them, but I got too busy and neglected to notify them of the problems.

I intended to try out the hotel pool and restaurant, but ended up having time for neither. And while my stay was not perfect, I would certainly consider giving this DoubleTree another try next time I'm in Silver Spring. And yes, their cookies were delicious.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Thanks for the post and glad that overall you had an enjoyable stay. I do apologize for the outside noise as we were in fact completing some final stages of our recent renovation. I have also shared your notes about the issues noted in your room with our housekeeping department. I do hope to see you return should you travel back our way. Thank you again.
Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed 31 August 2014

My husband and 3 kids stayed for the weekend while in town for a college football game. Our family travels frequently and we stay only at Hilton properties. This property was by far one of the most disappointing hotels we've encountered. As other reviewers commented the hotel is a bit shabby, the bathrooms extremely small, and in our case our king suite barely large enough to unfold the queen sleeper sofa. The mechanism for turning the shower on and controlling the temperature was incredibly difficult to figure out. Luckily my husband was the first to shower otherwise the intense heat of the water could've hurt a child. The bed in our room was less than comfortable and there were only towels for two despite the reservation being made for a family of 4. Requests for more towels were handled promptly and pleasantly by the staff. In fact, the staff is the one positive for this hotel. They were very welcoming when we arrived and helpful with restaurant recommendations. You can't beat the location of this hotel either. Overall I would not stay here again or recommend it to my friends. However, the hotel was clean and if alone on business or just a couple who isn't going to spend much time n the room, it may be fine.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
jimsalvo, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Washington DC - Silver Spring, responded to this review, 2 September 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and am happy to read your positive comments about the cleanliness of the hotel as well as the freindliness of our staff. I do apologize that the room size was a bit too tight for your family of four, but do hope you allow us another chance to regain your trust. Should your travels bring you back our way, please contact me direclty and woudl be happy to see if we can accomodate you in one of our suites so that you have the extra space that I am sure would make your stay much more enjoyable! jim.salvo@hilton.com

Travellers are raving about these Silver Spring hotels

Reviewed 30 August 2014

Excellent customer services from check in to check out. The Valet service was fantastic friendly provide ice at 5 am. The conference room was warm and the service was beyond expectations. Every staff member greeted you with a smile and asked how they could help. We will let all our friends and family know about our eperience

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business

1 Thank waitherab
Thanks so much for the fantastic review and appreciate you taking the time to post. Hope to be of service to you again in the future!
Reviewed 27 August 2014

We took a red eye flight into DC to visit family but halfway through the day we were so tired we decided to just try and get a room. This place wassuggested by a relative. They were able to book us an awesome room on the 11th floor in minutes. I could have easily done it online but I had a few questions. The answer was that parking was $15 a day to come and go as much as you wanted with valet service. The room was cool clean and just a slight bit dated, not much, you could tell the place has been there at least 10 years but it was clean. The shower was clean and the tub drained well. The water pressure was great and got as hot as I could stand with room to spare! The TV worked fine. We were told that if we wanted a fridge that they would deliver it to our room but we opted out. The room service for dinner and breakfast was great. The folks at the front desk and the valet guys were all awesome. There is also a very nice pool and gym on the the 7th floor that's very well equipped. All in all it was great stay not to mention those warm cookies that Doubletree is known for. I would definitely stay here again!!

Room Tip: 11th floor 1126 ws nice and quiet, no construction and away from elevators.