“Charm and comfort combined”
Review of River House Inn

River House Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 Snow Hill B&B and Inns
Merida, Mexico
“Charm and comfort combined”
Reviewed 23 April 2011

A comfortable, well appointed Victorian B&B in a charming historic town. Delicious breakfasts, friendly but unobtrusive hosts, very comfortable beds, wonderful grounds next to the river but just steps away from the center of town. The cottages offer a nice option to the main house. Snow Hill is close to Assateague and ocean beaches, but a much more tranquil place to stay.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Kent Island, Maryland
Reviewed 20 April 2011

The new owners of the inn, Rick Lesser and Dwayne Mease are absolutely delightful and could not do enough for us. From the moment we arrived, I felt like we were long lost cousins who fell into our Grandmother's house. They offered us wine and popcorn and we went down the long lawn to the beautiful river. The place was just so relaxing. They have been doing some restoring and cleaning and what also amazed me was how quiet the house is, especially at night. You can't even hear anyone else coming in from your room. This is a Civil War era house that has had some updating, but it is still reminiscent of the grand homes of the era. The kitchen is the central gathering place and there is always something interesting going on. I was there for a paint out with other artists, and Dwayne provided me with a place to frame and mount my paintings. We could walk anywhere in town and there was a canoe and kayak rental shop next door and you can kayak right from the river's edge on the inn property. We totally enjoyed the breakfasts which were cooked to order and we could help ourselves to coffee or tea any time of day. We hope to be back again soon. Another plus is the proximity to the bay and the Assateague National Seashore area. Highly recommend.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Circleville, Ohio
Reviewed 19 April 2011

The main house was grand! Our cottage was like staying at home. Very spacious. The back yard had great views of the river and was very peaceful walking by the huge trees and flower beads. The pool area was great that had a kazibo that hah a fire place TV and bar and grill area. Dwayne was a great cook and Rick a great entertainer as well as Dwayne!
Fun place to stay! Hope to return there soon!

Room Tip: Show up with a smile!
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
Middletown, Delaware
Reviewed 19 April 2011

My Husband and I had a very peaceful & relaxing visit. The grounds are beautiful with a quiet walk to the Pocomoke River. The food was great and the bed was very comfortable. We will go back!!

Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Severn, Maryland
Reviewed 27 March 2011

My bride looking for a pet friendly get away settled on the River House Inn located in the quaint town of Snow Hill Maryland. A beautiful B&B built between 1860 - 1865 is well maintained by Rick Lesser & Dwayne Mease. Large grounds that back to the Pocomoke River allowing for a variety of activities to include fishing, boating and kyaking. For those who prefer independence there are 3 cottages that are well appointed. There is a pool and outdoor kitchen with a fireplace allowing for enjoyable evenings.

Do not expect the typical B&B breakfast. The hosts are up early preparing a huge breakfast. Each day during our stay brought a new delight as Dwayne exercised his baking skills. His Waffles are to kill for! Neat, clean and friendly - we are going back for our anniversary and have shared this find with our close friends..

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Vineland, New Jersey
Reviewed 16 March 2011

My husband and I both LOVED this B & B! The main house is a lovely Victorian style with several guest rooms on the upper floors, and a large dining room and sitting rooms on the main level. There are two very friendly dogs that have access to the property and main house. Our room was one of the 3 cottages on the property seperate from the main house. We had the charming River Cottage, a large one room cottage with tv, microwave, mini fridge, recliner, table/2chairs, and a large bathroom with jacuzzi tub/shower. The buildings are older, but the room was very clean. The best part was our private screened porch (table, 2 chairs) which had a beautiful view of the gently sloping lawn, weeping willow trees and the river.

The grounds are lovely, check out the pictures on the website. The weather was too cool when we went, but there is a very nice pool with a large gazebo. They made a fire in the evenings and there is comfortable seating by it under the gazebo. There is a parking lot near the cottage where we were so you can park close by. The owners are happy to recommend some local restaurants for lunch/dinner. We walked across a parking lot to the Blue Dog Cafe which had great food, and great entertainment. Not many restaurants are open on Sunday evenings, so plan ahead. Make reservations during the day for dinners on Fri or Sat evenings.

The owners are very kind and hospitable. There is no rigid breakfast time, and they are very pleased to make it whenever you would like it. We had omlettes one day and eggs benedict the next, both meals were delicious and the portions were very generous. Coffee, tea, hot chocolate and popcorn! are readily available whenever you want them throughout the day. We enjoyed fresh baked pastry goodies each morning too!

We will most definitely be returning to this B&B. They owners made us feel at home and went above and beyond to make us comfortable. This is a great place to get away from it all and relax.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Bayville, New Jersey
Reviewed 24 February 2011

I had a wonderful experience. The hospitality was excellent. The River House Inn is a beautiful and comfortable B&B with two incredibly welcoming owners Dwayne Mease and Rick Lesser. It's a great place to unwind and relax. The breakfast was outstanding. Far exceeded all expectations. The Inn was decorated beautifully and the service was superb. The Inn was awesome and clean. I absolutely fell in love with this house with all it's fireplaces and have already picked out my room for my next stay. The inn keepers helped me plan my stay and helped me get everything I needed from reservations for dinner to planning my days. Snow Hill is a great location to all attractions. Ocean City Boat show which was the reason for my stay (I am so happy I cold not get a room in Ocean City and found the River House Inn!) and I am coming back to see Assateague Island with the wild ponies and more. Had probably the best dinner ever at a local restaurant Palette Bistro, then off to The Blue Dog Cafe, for after dinner entertainment. Can’t wait ’til my next visit this summer! I love canoeing and kayaking! I will recommend The River House Inn to all my friends and family!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
Refuge Inn
Refuge Inn
#2 of 19 in Chincoteague Island
Fairfield Inn & Suites Chincoteague Island
Fairfield Inn & Suites Chincotea...
#6 of 19 in Chincoteague Island
Atlantic Hotel
Atlantic Hotel
#1 of 1 in Berlin
Holiday Inn Express Pocomoke City

Been to River House Inn? Share your experiences!