“Worth the Drive, Worth the Cost”
Review of River House Inn

River House Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 Snow Hill B&B and Inns
Melrose, Wisconsin
“Worth the Drive, Worth the Cost”
Reviewed 27 July 2011

Not long prior to staying at the River House Inn, I was looking at hotels in Ocean Beach, just about 20 miles away. The cost was not worth the rewards of a weekend on the beach for me and my family. I decided to start looking outside of Ocean Beach and began to think about a B&B, as I have stayed in many and I enjoy the comfort and personal touch of staying in a B&B. It was during this search that I found River House Inn in Snow Hill MD.
The River House Inn is located near enough to the beach that anyone can enjoy a day at a number of local locations but is also in a small town that offers a great atmosphere, extremely nice people (Norman Rockwell type of town), and some very lovely dining establishments.
The host of the Inn are extremely nice, went out of their way to keep the whole family comfortable, included the family in activities during the day, and ensured that our stay was not just about having a place to stay but having memories to last forever.
The Inn is one of the few B&Bs that I have actually seen that enjoys children and treat the guest as family and not just customers.
I was not impressed with what Ocean City had to offer but I know that I will be returning many times over to Snow Hill and I know that my stay will always be at River House Inn.
It is worth the drive for the kids to go to the beach, worth the cost (actually was much cheaper than staying in Ocean City) allowing for more activities during our vacation, and it is worth planning future vacations around (as the area offers so much that one vacation is not enough).
I cannot say too much about Snow Hill and about the River House Inn.

Stu-

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
New York
Reviewed 26 July 2011

We initially booked a vacation for Outer banks, NC and after staying 1 night at some overpriced dump of a hotel, we decided to cancel the other two nights and go back to Ocean City, MD. Due to the Dew Tour at Ocean City, everything was also booked and/or overpriced and we frantically were looking for a place to stay on a tiny iPhone’s screen and slow connection only to accidentally stumble on a listing for River House Inn Bed & Breakfast. I decided to call them and ask for availability; on the phone Rick was very pleasant to talk to and informed me that the Yacht Club room overseeing the river front will be waiting my arrival.

Wow, what a surprise – we came for Ocean City, and ended up not even caring!! This little mini-resort is a hidden gem, and our wonderful hosts Rick and Dwayne made our vacation a truly memorable experience.

The room is impeccably clean – tastefully decorated and extremely cozy. Bed was super confortable and big (King size, and elevated – I loved it!) Jacuzzi was awesome! And Central A/C made a whole difference in the world – it was a really hot weekend with 100F temps, yet the room was cool and quiet and I could set just the right temperature without the usual A/C noises.

The pool is decent, with plenty of toys to occupy you there. Also free drinks in the fridge and the chill out area by the pool, and a Serious satellite radio playing whatever commercial-free tunes we want).

Breakfast was also really good, and the hosts would really cook anything you would ask them to and in any quantities. Like someone else said, if you go away hungry, it’s your own fault!

Last but not least, it’s a pet friendly hotel – wow! Owner’s dog Team is a sweetheart and I was entrained for an hour playing with tennis ball with her – very smart dog!

We already booked our next weekend getaway in August to come back here for 3 more nights! Yay!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
here
Reviewed 26 July 2011

Do not miss this B&B. My friend came from NY with her two kids, and I live in the greater DC area. I had to find a place close to Ocean City. I stumbled on the River House Inn looking for quality and a good price. It was amazing. Here's why...the cottage was totally clean...as was the pool as the entire premise. It is quaint, it was so quiet and the kids are still ranting about the amazing waffles. While my friend and I rave about the homemade blueberry muffins and the cinammon crumble cake...plus the egg casserole...and fruit...yes and that was breakfast folks.. We were greeted by smiling faces and a wonderful lab named Teal that just melts your heart. Not only is this place romantic for couples, it's kid friendly, and it's dog friendly..For anyone traveling to the Eastern Shore I'd would highly recommend choosing this location if you don't need to be on the beach.. It is perfect distance between Ocean City and Assateague/Chincoteague...easy drives...Rick/Dwayne and crew hospitality...you must experience...and Teal...She's an awesome dog. The boat rental is just around the corner as well so if you do not plan to go anywhere just cruise the waters and see the wildlife..it's very pretty. Recommend waking up early, and coming back to Rick/Dwayne's muffins...You'll eat the table ....

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Severna Park, Maryland
Reviewed 7 July 2011

This was an amazing inn! The room was very nice. The atmosphere was relaxing and peaceful. The breakfast was wonderful and lots of it! (If you leave the table hungry its your own fault!!)S The property is beautiful--there is a pool, outdoor grill area, the Pocomoke river and lots of shaded seating to enjoy. We used the inn as our base for motorcycle trips around Snow Hill, Salisbury and points south. Our Inn keepers were extremely attentive to all our needs. They provided interesting facts about the town, great restaurants in the area as well as interesting conversation at breakfast. If you are looking for a vacation without stress I recommend the river house inn. Hope to stay there again soon!!

Room Tip: I would advise planning early--this inn will not be a secret too much longer
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank musicmel
Crisfield, Maryland
Reviewed 8 June 2011

The River House Inn is a beautiful home with everything you need for an enjoyable stay. The room was spacious and beautifully appointed. The setting on the river was wonderful. We enjoyed sitting in chairs next to the water and watching the geese. You can walk to a place that does canoe trips. Breakfast was great--they custom made everything for which we asked. The owners made us feel like family--but we didn't have to wash the dishes.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reston, Virginia
Reviewed 5 June 2011

We went to the River House Inn with two families (four adults, three children in middle and high school). We stayed in the Ivy House and River Cottage, which gave us a tremendous amount of flexibility, including preparing and eating our own dinners. The setting was charming. Breakfasts were delicious, food was well-prepared and plentiful. The new owners were very accommodating of our requests and questions before, during, and after our stay. The property backs on to the Pocomoke River where there is a dock to fish from and a shop that rents canoes. We felt extremely comfortable there and were well taken care of. We would definitely consider returning.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 28 May 2011

I stayed at the River House Inn in May to attend a surprise 90th birthday for a dear family relative and friend. Little did I know after traveling from Seattle that I would be welcomed at the Inn by trhe owners Rick and Dwayne and their staff as if I was family coming home for this special event. From the moment I walked in through the kitchen door I confused as the entrance until I finally had to depart, I felt warmly welcomed and generously cared for.

The beautiful old antebellum house has all the charm of it's years with tasteful upgrades to maintain it's period atmosphere. I stayed in the River Room in the house, while other family members who also stayed there for the event, were in some of the detached cottages on the beautiful grounds that reach to the Pokomoke River. We all had the joy of spending some more family time together in the evening as Rick and Dwayne both played the piano and encouraged us to sing along to favorite songs.

Breakfast was a memorable event. The abundant selection of breakfast items were excellently prepared and served in a warm family setting in the big dining room. Extra servings were packed up and sent along with us as we all prepared to depart.

My husband and I plan to visit again later this year in the fall. I can't wait to be welcomed "home" again at the River House Inn.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
Best Western Chincoteague Island
Best Western Chincoteague Island
#4 of 19 in Chincoteague Island
Holiday Inn Express Pocomoke City

Been to River House Inn? Share your experiences!