“A Pleasant and Delicious Surprise”
Review of The Striped Rock

The Striped Rock
Ranked #13 of 36 Restaurants in Solomons
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 26 February 2014

My husband and I had quite a lovely meal at the Striped Rock, but it was mid-afternoon on a Thursday. (I am aware of a number of negative reviews posted recently.) We started with the calamari appetizer - which was absolutely delicious. My husband loves calamari, and we order it frequently. This one was not at all rubbery, with the perfect texture; and the sauce was not overly sweet. Just perfect.

For my main course, I ordered a salad with steak. I was not sure how tough the steak for a salad might be - and it was so tender that I could cut it with my fork. I am sorry that I have forgotten what my husband ordered for his "main course", and it was for lunch, but he was very happy with it.

We had not intended to eat there, but have grown tired of Stoneys and the CD cafe. Had I not looked at any of the other reviews, I sure would have intended to go back soon.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

My husband and I were seated at the table in front of the kitchen. I faced the filthy kitchen doors so that's my first impression before even getting the food. I ordered the Striped Bass Tacos, my husband ordered the Blackened Tuna sandwich. Tuna sandwich was cooked to order (med/rare) so that was a good start. The fries lack any flavor and were sorta soggy. There are two fish tacos served. The fish was cooked nicely, but they had absolutely no taste/seasoning. Just a ton of cole slow and a few diced tomatoes on top. The wait staff kept commenting that "they are the best", "aren't they deliscious"!?!?! Uh, not really. Both dishes were overpriced for what you got. Wait staff/management arguing in front of us about seating people upstairs (really professional). Won't be in any rush to give this place another try anytime soon.

3  Thank kcmiller10
Reviewed 8 February 2014

We were seated for about 10 minutes before our waitress came to offer us anything to drink.

For an appetizer, we ordered Conch Fritters which arrived so black (burnt) & inedible that we returned them. .

As a side with my entrée (salmon) I ordered brussel sprouts and a loaded baked potato. The baked potato was neon orange from the melted artificial Cheez Whiz on top! Extremely unappetizing. Definitely not expected from an expensive "fine-dining" restaurant.

Hubby ordered scallops with risotto. Scallops (5 of them) were good, but the chef had substituted buttered orzo for risotto. Perhaps the chef lacked the ability to make a proper risotto and made the substitution hoping that diners wouldn't notice. We mentioned it to the waitress, and she confirmed with the chef that we were indeed served orzo, with no explanation nor apologies.

The waitress offered to box my leftovers and noted that she would put them in separate containers so that the cream sauce from the salmon wouldn't soak into my brussel sprouts. She failed to do this and I had a soggy leftover mess.

We won't be returning. At $85 for 2 people, our experience should not have been this poor.

2  Thank dixiedreams
Reviewed 29 January 2014

food is terrible and the menu is so limited. nothing special at all. went for dinner steak was extremely under cooked i ordered med it came out raw. i also went there for breakfast. food is like overpriced diner good!! need to learn how to season cream chipped beef properly. will never return and will always tell my friends and family to stay far away.

Reviewed 12 January 2014

The only thing I can't complain about is the service. our waitress made us feel very welcome and was helpful with the menu. but then there is the bad which is quite a bit. first we wanted to be seated upstairs but the gentlemen ignored our request and sat us down. we got our appetizer right away. Actually before we got our drinks. ok not the waitress fault. looked like the bartender was busy. we ordered our dinner and it took an hour for it ti come out. When it did it was ok. sides came out after the entree by about five minutes. we had a hard time understanding why because the restaurant was not full. We were seated right in front of the kitchen where we saw a cook get frustrated and punch something. then heard the guy who was filling our water say he had pink eye. we were all appalled. We didn't stay for desert like usual we got the check and left. we will never be back and would not recommend to others.

2  Thank jacklyn1966