“Good food, poor service”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Captain's Table - CLOSED

Captain's Table
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Duluth, Georgia
“Good food, poor service”
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Had lunch with a friend--I was visiting from out of town so he picked the place. The waterfront location was great, and we had a good view of the marina--too bad it was overcast and rainy. We both had the crab cake--it was excellent, hardly any filler and cooked just right. The service was another matter: although our server took our order and brought our salads pretty quickly, she took a long time to bring the entrees and then disappeared. We finally had to ask someone else for the check. Hard to explain because the place was mostly empty, although as we were leaving we saw our server sitting in the parking lot having a smoke....

1 Thank mikeofduluth

Richmond, Virginia
“Good breakfast choice”
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Delightful to find a gluten-sensitivity awareness with a dressed-up down-home breakfast menu and buffet. Wonderful service, felt like I was treated like family.

Dover, New Hampshire
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 2,786 helpful votes
“GREAT WATERFRONT DINING LOCATION”
Reviewed 8 October 2013

While spending a day at the Calvert Marine Center, I wandered the 1/10th of mile down the road to The Captain's Table for lunch.

Although it was an 87 F day with high humidity, I elected to eat outside at a table on the covered deck facing the marina. There was a light breeze.

I ordered the Captain's Crab Cake Toasted Sandwich at $14.99. The menu said: "jumbo lump crab meat blended with the captain's special seasonings and fried to a golden brown." It was pretty much that, except that the crabmeat was mashed; but, it was very tasty. I ate all the lettuce and tomato plus about half the kaiser roll and about half the French fries.

Service was a little slow, but I always expect that when visiting small waterfront towns because they are places where people are supposed to slow down and relax.

The meal was good, but I've had better crab cakes outside Maryland.

The atmosphere was "Ultimate in Casual Waterfront Seafood Restaurant". The marina had a variety of commercial and pleasure craft, including three large sailboats.

I will eat there again when I return to the area.

1 Thank Maurene_K
“Very nice, out of the way place to eat.”
Reviewed 29 September 2013 via mobile

The Captain's table may not be the fanciest restraunt, but the food and view of the marina make up for that. The locals love this place, and it was recommended by several, including a guide at the nearby Calvert County Marine museum, who told us he eats there almost daily. The service may be slower and not as up to par as other restraunts of its size, but it has become a family favorite for us. We even trekked out the day after Hurricane Irene to find the Captain's table was one of the few places with electricity and hot food.
The prices are reasonable and portions are a good size. The crab cakes are a must! The homemade sides are great; I love their coleslaw and the hush puppie(which don't have onions and are more like cornbread, they're still very good.)
It is a little hard to find, but the locals are very friendly and willing to give directions.
We'll be going back as long as they are open and we keep returning to Maryland.

• Visited October 2012
Arizona
“Good local seafood.”
Reviewed 27 September 2013 via mobile

You might need your GPS to find this place, but it's worth it. Fresh Chesapeake seafood that tastes great. View of the harbor when you sit on the deck. Watch that first step in the dining room. My wife and I find it has a laid back and relaxing atmosphere.

• Visited September 2013