“MORE YOUTH HOSTEL THAN B&B”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Takoma Park
Etta Mae Inn Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 3 Takoma Park B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 May 2011

My husband and I have frequented many lovely B&Bs. After reading reviews on the EMI, we decided to make a reservation. Out of all of the B&Bs we've had the opportunity to frequent, nothing could have prepared us for EMI. The grounds as well as the house are in need of repair. Had this been billed as a youth/elder hostel we would have been prepared. However, it was one of the more expensive B&Bs we stayed at, so our disappointed was even more profound. The innkeeper is a lovely woman, but our sense is that she has never stayed at a B&B before she decided to open the EMI. I can only echo the comments from other reviewers about the state of the house, rooms, and the grounds. Nothing elegant here. And, the breakfast was so underwhelming. Instead of having a lovely meal planned for the morning, the question was "how do you want your eggs?". Sad.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SSavvy
There are newer reviews for Etta Mae Inn Bed and Breakfast

Reviewed 1 May 2011

We stayed for the second time, this time 3 days, in their new largest guest room. The new bath is huge, very luxurious with a very nice shower for 2. As always the bed was fine, the room comfortable, the food excellent, and the hostess very friendly and helpful. The location is quiet but convenient in Tacoma Park; not too many like it nearby. The hostess makes you feel part of the family. It's an old house, well preserved, not fancy but warm and friendly.

Room Tip: Ask for the new large guest room
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 December 2010

My wife and I were very excited to find a B&B just a few blocks from the heart of Silver Spring. The house and grounds are right out of a storybook. Francoise made us feel right at home and we loved the accommodations and the great breakfast.

Whenever we return to DC this is definitely the place we be staying!

Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 October 2010

My stay at the Etta Mae Inn over the past four months (July through October 2010) has been a real pleasure and I unequivocally endorse it. As a business traveler that has frequented many parts of world and a contrarian by nature, I’m not one of the “fill in the survey” people. In this case, I make an exception. Quite simply, this quaint Inn is an excellent place to be located when you want to stay within walking distance to downtown Silver Spring or ride the Metro to Washington, D.C. as in my case working for a local business and being from out of town. And more important, the Inn is a great place to come ‘home’ when you’re not home. If you’re a “frequent flier” with a brand name hotel chain, and I’m one of those, this is a great alternative. Francoise, the Inn’s host really makes this already charming 1890 Victorian Inn even more charming. Besides being quite, clean and having all the amenities that one would reasonably expect staying at a high quality B&B, enjoying a home away from home is, well, priceless.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 May 2010

I could write pages of my wonderful stay at the Etta Mae Inn and of my lovely hostess. Starting my day with freshly made muffins, hot coffee, and fruit was delightful. From the dinning room table I could see the sprinkled array of beautiful flowers with huge blooms and the wrap around veranda set against a spacious lawn. My room was furnished with decorative antiques that complemented the history of the home. After a long day of seeing the sights, it was a relief to refresh in the clean bathroom and relax in my comfortable bed. When returning to Takoma Park my stay will be at the Etta Mae Inn.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank geneva21
Reviewed 9 May 2010

When traveling I always try to seek out the independent hotels, b&bs etc. I've never been so disappointed as my stay at the Etta Mae Inn. The inn keeper is obnoxious (and I have many European friends -- this is not a cultural thing) and made thinly veiled racist comments. One evening she got very drunk and held us hostage with conversation - actually conversation would imply we could get a word in edgewise... not the case.

The house is dirty (not rustic) and smells like big, wet dog (i love dogs, but this is too much) the doors do not have locks and you can hear everyone walk by in the middle of the night.

During our visit our plans changed and we had to extend our stay -- instead of staying at the Inn we slept on a friend's air mattress on her living room floor which was much more enjoyable.

Bottom line the inn keeper is so incredibly unwelcoming, so obnoxious, and keeps a filthy house. DO NOT STAY here.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TravelwCare
Reviewed 17 April 2010

I stayed at the etta mae inn with my husband. We had business in DC but were also in town for pleasure. The inn is located just outside the city, but still on the metro line, which is a 10-15 minute walk from the inn. The inn is in a beautiful neighborhood, ideal for running or strolling. Unlike most accommodations in DC proper, parking was safe, off street and free. The innkeeper was gracious and eager to please, but in no way obtrusive.There were some children, but they were in no way a disturbance and added to the character of the inn. Breakfast was delicious, home made muffins, eggs cooked to perfection and fresh fruit. I would without a doubt return to the inn the next time I am in town.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
Hilton Garden Inn Silver Spring North
Sheraton Silver Spring Hotel
Sheraton Silver Spring Hotel
#9 of 12 in Silver Spring

Been to Etta Mae Inn Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!