“A Little Put Off”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Timonium
Richmond, Virginia
“A Little Put Off”
Reviewed 21 July 2008

As a frequent traveler I often choose the Crowne Plaza when I have the option. I was a little put off by some of the things that happened at this particular location and I later learned it hasn't always been a Crowne Plaza so maybe that was the problem? I made a list of things that went wrong while I was a guest there..
1-The check in line was LONG and there was only 1 associate working which meant we had to stand there forever..just when it was our turn a guy walks up looking disinterested and quietly mumbles "Can I help you?"
2-There was no ironing board or radio/clock/cd player in our room. Someone did (begrudgingly it seemed) track down an ironing board for us.
3-There was something on the sheets-blood? gravy? ketchup? I have no idea but when i called housekeeping to have the sheets changed no one answered so I called the front desk, the young man handed me the sheets and I was required to change them and remake the bed myself. He also advised me no one knew where Housekeeping was and they had been MIA for 2 1/2 hours.
4-Underneath the bed I found an open bag of potato chips with chips scattered under the bed
5-Huge stains on the pillowcases.
6-We had to request towels & washcloths 3 times before they were brought up.
On the plus side we did get complimentary welcome drinks as well as breakfast coupons for the dining area downstairs. The location is good in terms of highway access etc but in the future I might try somewhere else.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — staff
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Austin, TX
Reviewed 7 June 2008

This is definitely an older hotel that's gotten a makeover. At first glance, I was pretty impressed by the room for the price - the bedding was updated and comfortable and the bathroom was large and remodeled with granite counters and updated decor. Then you notice a lot of this is surface level. The ceiling of the room had these huge bolts all over it, that had been partially covered by blowing that popcorn type ceiling coating on them, rather than actually going to the expense of covering them with drywall. The tub had a section of tile that had been replaced with a different type of tile. There's no refrigerator in the room, which I guess I have gotten used to in this type of hotel class.

The heating/ac was really screwed up - once I turned on the ac and set it to 72, it wouldn't shut off, even with the fan on auto and turning the thermostat to "off". I woke up in the middle of the night freezing and had to turn the heater on because there was no other way to shut off the ac - same problem there, no temperature control. Then the smoke alarm started beeping. To their credit, I asked for maintenance to check it out, and they replaced the thermostat and smoke alarm battery. The ac still continued to run (temperature control didn't work) but at least I could turn it off and it would actually stop.

The bigger issue is that this hotel is attracting lower end conferences, which brings a lot of insane people and groups of kids. The place was swarming with kids when I first got there and there were a couple of kids yelling down the hall one night. I also ended up with a room right across from the elevators and had to put a towel under the door to keep the hallway noise down. Even with the towel, the noise was pretty bad. The last night some woman decided to sit on the floor right outside my room at 11:30 at night talking on her cell. There's very little noise protection in the room, and I couldn't sleep until she finally left. I guess that's why they give you complimentary earplugs.

On the positive side, I got free breakfast coupons as part of my priority club membership and the breakfast was very good. Considering the other choices in Timonium, I would still probably choose this hotel again for the location.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — noise, issues with room
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled on business
VA
Reviewed 18 May 2008

The hotel itself seems to have had a renovation recently. The lobby area is HUGE! As big as some Vegas locations. The room we had was furnished nicely with king bed, typical of the Crowne Plaza locations we have stayed in. The bathroom had a low mirror that tall people might have problems using. The showerhead was a little low as well, but nice. TV was a little small that tended to truncate some of the picture. This location has wi-fi, which is nice.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
Lewisburg, West Virginia
Reviewed 3 April 2008

I was there for a four-day meeting. I paid extra to be on the executive floor which is accessible only by a special elevator key. The promise is there will be no leisure groups, marching bands, guests will be cautioned to keep the volumn low on the TVs and not slam the doors. Well, there was an adult fraternity holding a convention there with a beauty pagent and guess where these folks were housed. Noise went on all night. When I complained, they took $40.00 off my room rate. I thought about that and went back to the desk and told the young lady this was not acceptable and they refunded my room rate for that night. In talking to other people at my meeting, I learned they were staying on this same floor for $31. less than what I was paying.

I had to come back the next week for a three-day meeting. I asked if there were going to be any parties the next week before I booked again. I was assured there were not. Well, guess what was there the next week - a meeting of 800 members of the Narcotics Anonymous. They, too, were housed on the excecutive floor. I had negotiated my rate down to $95. per day. They were up all night. There was no meeting room large enough to accomodate them so chairs were set up in the huge lobby and their meetings and entertainment were held here. The language was filthy. The people were loud and disrespectful. When I complained to the managment about the misbehavior, he was condesending and disrespectful to me and called me, "Dear." I'm old enough to be his grandmother. He said the hotel was supportive of NA and implied that I was not. As a former social worker, I am most certainly supportive of the organization but this hotel was not equipped to accomodate the needs of such a large group AND the needs of their other guests. He said, "They don't drink alcohol. They drink coffee and they are wired on coffee." He thought that was clever on his part.

On the plus side, the bed was wonderful. There was a CD to relax you so you could sleep and a CD player in the clock. You were provided with ear plugs and a sleep mask. Someone said that I should have known I was in trouple when I saw that on the bed.

Don't stay in a room overlooking the lobby. The noise from the lobby comes thru the windows fronting on the lobby.

• Liked — Great bed.
  • Disliked — Noise and disrespectful maanger.
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travellers are raving about these Timonium hotels

NJ
Reviewed 20 January 2008

Well first off, we've stayed at this hotel year after year for the maryland horse world expo. We choose it every year because they have an indoor pool, games, a pool table and a bar right in the middle of everything making it nice. Well this year we made our reservation as before for 3 rooms with lots of teenagers, got there, the hotel is under renovation therefore, no pool, no games, no pool table. Nothing for kids or anyone else to do except the work out room which says only people over 18 are allowed in. So absolutely nothing for kids to do. Also, our room was very dirty. It had appalling hair on the ceiling. When asked for a refund, they gave us back $40. thats it! The manager was never around when we needed to talk to him or nothing. I will not go back after this terrible visit!

Stayed January 2008
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 11 October 2007

We stayed in this hotel with a group of friends. The hotel is quite close to highway. Many pillows on bed, very spacioius room. Free internet access. Clean room with great service staff.

• Stayed October 2007, travelled with family
4 Thank keroppisonson
dmwynne
Reviewed 20 August 2007

I stayed here for a weekend while in town to watch the Red Sox play Baltimore. I saw 2 games on Friday and Saturday. I didn't spend too much time in the hotel except to sleep but I can say the rooms were nice, clean, modern, and the bed was really comfortable. The hotel is quite large inside, has an above average pool and fitness center and also has a restaurant/bar which I did not go to.

As far as getting to the game from here the hotel it is about a 20-30 minute ride by car or light rail. It was a great alternative to the more expensive hotels in the city. You can walk (5 minutes) to the light rail station from the hotel and it drops you off right in front of the park.

• Liked — Comfy beds and ease to get to downtown Baltimore
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with friends
3 Thank dmwynne
Also consider these accommodations in or near Timonium
Hampton Inn & Suites Baltimore North / Timonium
Holiday Inn Timonium
Holiday Inn Timonium
#2 of 3 in Timonium
Red Roof PLUS+ Baltimore North - Timonium
Red Roof PLUS+ Baltimore North -...
#2 of 2 in Lutherville Timonium
Sheraton Baltimore North Hotel
BEST WESTERN Plus Towson Baltimore North Hotel & Suites
Extended Stay America - Baltimore - Timonium
Extended Stay America - Baltimor...
#1 of 2 in Lutherville Timonium

Been to Radisson Hotel North Baltimore? Share your experiences!