“Poor Experience at the North Baltimore Plaza”

Radisson Hotel North Baltimore
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Timonium
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I stayed at the NBP for 2 nights along with several family members who were in the area for a wedding.

First the good:

The hotel room was a good size, modern and updated. I found the staff to be friendly. Lastly, even though I was on a fereeway side room, they must have soundproofed the walls and windows, because I barely noticed any traffic noise.

Now The bad:
Arrived to check in at 4pm on a weekend afternoon and my room was not ready. Have never come to a hotel so late and had to wait for a room to be prepared. And it did not seem like the property was that busy.

Wi Fi in my room did not work. Hanging out with family in a room facing the lobby, their Wi-fi was painfully slow.

The bathroom in my room appeared to be recently redone, except for the shower area which had a considerable amount of mold in several places..

Alarm clock did not work and the clock itself was 1 hour off.

Food at the property was poor.

Several family members had less favorable encounters with the staff, which they felt were "surly".

Rooms in our wing either face the freeway with "light" noise or the enclosed lobby so they got no natural light. The halls and lobby are all dimly lit.

There was only one very slow elevator for our entire wing of the hotel.

All and all the property jusy continued to disappoint repeatedly during the entire stay. I am pretty easy to please but this hotel just never seemed to make an effort to do so, or even deliver on some pretty basic parts of a hotel experience..

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
David M, General Manager at Radisson Hotel North Baltimore, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Please allow me this opportunity to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay at our hotel. I was happy to see you found our rooms to be a good size, modern and updated with friendly staff. I also appreciate you showing us the other areas we can improve. Your candid feedback is of tremendous assistance as we strive to make improvements. I sincerely hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the North Baltimore Plaza Hotel, and provide you the level of service you expect and deserve from our hotel.

There are newer reviews for Radisson Hotel North Baltimore

Reviewed 13 May 2014

The hotel underwent a brand deletion from Crowne Plaza to a renamed North Baltimore Plaza Hotel. The layout is not changed since my last visit but the recent renovations have rejuvenated the hotel. The carpets are new and clean. The hotel is much improved in cleanliness overall. My sleeping room was very well decorated. I really like the modern decor they used here. The room was first class looking and better than some higher brand hotels I have stayed in overnight. Did not eat in the hotel restaurant but it has a nice welcoming appearance. Hotel is real convenient to the beltway. Suggest this hotel for your trips to this area.

Room Tip: East side rooms are away from highway
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
David M, General Manager at Radisson Hotel North Baltimore, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Thank you for being our guest. I was so happy to see you enjoyed some of the changes we have made. I hope we have the opportunity to serve you in the future so we can show off more improvements as we move forward.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

Stayed here last year and had a less than positive experience. Will be trying it again next month and will be interested to see what the loss of the Crowne Plaza branding has done. Hopefully the staff is more friendly and actually will care about the guest experience.

Room Tip: Choose a room that faces outside, not into the lobby/atrium
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Doug R
David M, General Manager at Radisson Hotel North Baltimore, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

Thank you very much for giving us the opportunity. If there is anything I can do to make your stay a more comfortable one, please feel free to contact me personally.

Reviewed 3 February 2014

I'll update my review after I stay (it's a function - I have no choice) but the changeover in ownership / branding of this hotel (it used to be a Crowne Plaza) must not be going well. I called to make a reservation. First call, seemed okay but I never got an e-mail confirmation. I called back, was put on hold forever by someone at reservations who mumbled and was hard to hear. Hung up and tried again. Finally got someone who said yes, they would e-mail the confirmation. Still don't have it! If it wasn't a function I wouldn't stay here - simply making a reservation shouldn't be this hard and certainly makes me think the guest experience on-site will be awful.

I'm going to call back, ask for the manager, and see if there is any way to wrangle a confirmed in writing reservation out of this place. But wow - it shouldn't be this hard!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank BikeTraveler22
David M, General Manager at Radisson Hotel North Baltimore, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2014

I am very sorry for the frustration you experienced by not getting your confirmation email. Our email confirmation system was not working for a short time. It is working now, and we would be happy to send that email confirmation to you immediately if you have not received it already. Thank you.

Reviewed 3 February 2014

Perfectly adequate convention hotel. Nice staff. Unfortunately some rooms face into the cavernous atrium rather than out, which is weird. We had a renovated room but the a/c was still one of those old clunkers that would ROAR on with a vengeance -- plus it would pump cigarette smoke into our non-smoking room (perhaps the employee smoke break area is by the intake? We couldn't figure it out) so we slept very poorly with the noise and smell. Fitness center was ok. Wifi was average. Hotel felt very dark, made us want to get out when we could (fortunately there's a great coffee shop and restaurant just around the corner by the light rail station, so there are walkable options). Really shouldn't be labeled a Crowne Plaza, though; I've stayed in nicer hotels at lower price points. Definitely would NOT stay here again; there's a Holiday Inn Express a few miles up the road that I'd choose ahead of this place.

Room Tip: Renovated rooms are ok, but facing into the atrium is terrible -- you have you keep your curtains c...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank prettybluebike
kheird, Director of Sales at Radisson Hotel North Baltimore, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay. I am so sorry that you are disappointed with the room's location. Please always feel free to request a room facing outside. I can appreciate the annoyance of a dated air unit, we have plans in place to replace them. We always strive to make every guest's stay comfortable and enjoyable. I sincerely apologize that we failed to do so for your stay.

Reviewed 8 December 2013

Just last evening we experienced some of the finest hospitality at this hotel. After a family dinner out we came back to the hotel hoping to enjoy a night cap at their bar. The bar was closed. We asked the front desk if they wouldn't mind serving us a drink. Without hesitation the manager on duty opened the bar for our party making our evening that much more enjoyable.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Michelle C
David M, General Manager at Radisson Hotel North Baltimore, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2013

I am glad to see you enjoyed your stay. I believe Connor was the manager that helped you that evening, and I will certainly thank him for going the extra mile. I truly appreciate you sharing your experiences.

Reviewed 24 November 2013

Stayed here for a basketball tournament recently. Very large hotel with a HUGE main lobby. Rooms were clean, fitness center was fine. Business center has 2 computers and printers, worked and were easy to use. WiFi was reliable but slow- not fast enough for streaming video, but OK for web browsing and email. Several of the in-room phones didn't work. Staff was friendly enough, didn't get to try out the hotel restaurant/bar but it looked pretty good. Seemed to be in a very safe area, close to Towson, far to drive for downtown Baltimore but close to a light rail stop. Breakfast was included for us (I think it's $13 normally), but was below average- no fresh fruit, only one protein choice, soso coffee.

Room Tip: Even numbered rooms have a window that faces into the lobby- this means there is noise in the mornin...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank jalyon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Timonium
Hampton Inn & Suites Baltimore North / Timonium
Holiday Inn Timonium
Holiday Inn Timonium
#2 of 3 in Timonium
Red Roof PLUS+ Baltimore North - Timonium
Red Roof PLUS+ Baltimore North -...
#2 of 2 in Lutherville Timonium
Best Western Plus Towson Baltimore North Hotel & Suites
Sheraton Baltimore North Hotel
Extended Stay America - Baltimore - Timonium
Extended Stay America - Baltimor...
#1 of 2 in Lutherville Timonium

Been to Radisson Hotel North Baltimore? Share your experiences!