“Slept better than I do at home”

Radisson Hotel North Baltimore
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Timonium
Reviewed 18 February 2009

My sister and I attended the same function as the previous reviewer. Paid $124 per night for a Friday & Saturday night stay.

The hotel was easy to locate just off the Interstate. The area around the hotel is heavily industrial and not pedestrian-friendly. Restaurants & other stores are just one street over (across the railroad tracks). There is a large parking lot with free parking. Because of the convention, parking spaces were scarce but we always managed to find a spot somewhere.
Check-in was quick and easy. The front desk staff offered us information about the surrounding area and gave us clear directions to everything we needed in the hotel.
Our room was really quite nice. The regular rooms are not huge but there's plenty of space to move around. We had a quick peek into the suite next door and it was very roomy.
The furniture was very functional -- large desk/table & chair, suitcase bench, large bedside table with drawers, big comfy chair. The beds were extremely comfortable. All the bedding was top-notch and we loved the pillows. They were just the right combination of firm & soft. And we didn't mind that they were smaller than average -- they were head-size which is what matters.
The bathroom was average-size. It may sound strange, but I was delighted to not have any trouble with any of the bathroom fixtures (a common theme in my travels). Shower, sink, toilet, hair dryer, coffee pot all worked as needed. And the towels felt fine to me -- good size too. My sister especially enjoyed the brand of complimentary soaps & lotions provided.
Wi-fi was available in our room at no charge. We had to wander around the room to find the "sweet spot" but after that we had no connectivity problems.
The temperature in the room was toasty warm when we arrived. And it was a cinch to adjust to our liking. The rooms are very well-insulated. We were across the hall from the main elevator, the ice machine and the coin-operated laundry services. But we didn't hear noise from any of that during our entire stay. I slept better at the Crowne Plaza than I do at home.

The hotel restaurant is better than most, I would say. Their prices weren't horribly inflated like others I've visited. The food was delicious and hot. And the wait staff was very accommodating. Our server let us special order an item that wasn't on the menu. The restaurant was clearly overwhelmed & understaffed but they were all very friendly while they rushed around. We never had to wait for refills or our check. We only had one cocktail from the bar (we're not big drinkers) -- they weren't stingy with the alcohol.

We also used the workout room during our stay. It's a decent size with a variety of equipment -- treadmills, elliptical, recumbent and spinner bikes, free weights and a weight machine. All of the equipment was in proper working order. The TV in there worked fine -- which I appreciate. The towel rack was fully-stocked.

Our overall experience was nothing short of excellent. But I think what made the biggest impression was the staff -- wait staff, housekeeping, front desk -- all went above & beyond to make our stay enjoyable. That's not something you find everywhere you go. So it's something we can appreciate when we do.

(The previous reviewer commented on his wife's plain bagel. I think I met that bagel coming up on the elevator. I remember thinking how odd that a bagel would be served without any condiments. LOL, small world)

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank stoweaways

Reviewed 16 February 2009

Room Type: Standard
Rate Paid: $24 per night
Reason For Stay: Leisure Convention (See additional Meeting comments at bottom)
Overall Average Score: 8.5/10

Location - 9/10

The hotel is easy to find, located right off 83. There are many shopping and dining options within a few minutes drive, although a few in walking distance would be nice.

Room Design - 8/10

This CP was converted from a Holiday Inn Select and the rooms show that a little. They do have the very comfortable Crowne Plaza beds. Plenty of space to move around, nice size desk. The TV was in a cabinet and a little hard to see from the desk.

Tall people note - shower heads are low (but good)

Room Amenities - 7/10

Standard CP toiletries, which I like. 5 pillows, a plus, but they were smaller than usual, a minus. Complimentary 'sleep kit' which had earplugs, an eyeshade and lavender spray, next to a CD. I'm still not sure if you get to keep the CD...

The relatively low score was due to the fact that I swear I lost a layer of skin each time I used a towel.

Design and Layout - 8/10

Important room location note: Many of the rooms overlook the main atrium of the hotel instead of outside. Apparently that is where the pool used to be. Now, some meetings and events use that space for activities and that can spill into the rooms (the event I was at had a teen/young adult dance till 2 AM there. People with atrium rooms were not amused.) We had a parking lot view and it was dead quiet. Other than that, the hotel is very compact and easily negotiated.

Amenities - Non Club - 9/10

There is no executive club at this hotel. There is a very well appointed fitness center on the first floor.

There is no gift shop or other location to purchase sundries (the hotel offers standard personal items for free if needed). The nearest drug store is about a 10 min walk.

Wireless internet is available property wide (code needed for public areas, charge for non-guests.) Business center is available as well as an ATM.

Free parking.

Club Room - Not applicable

Hotel Staff - 10/10

I was extremely pleased with the hotel staff. All were friendly and knowledgeable and willing to help. Housekeeping was great each day, room clean and freshened. (See meeting notes below)

Dining - 9/10

The hotel offers a full service restaurant and bar, we ate there several times over the course of the event. Food was well prepared, presented, and service was pretty good (I'd have said average, but this was the event in question's first time there, and I don't think they expected the demand they got - they were a little understaffed).

Room service is available - food was served hot and reasonably fast (see above). One sour note - My wife ordered a bagel with her breakfast, it was sent up plain, no butter or anything. She called down and they promised to send some up, never showed. I'd ding them harder if I hadn't seen how overloaded they were.

Comments and Notes:

Generally speaking, I was very pleased with the facility for the kind of event we had there. More on that in meeting notes below. I think they made a mistake by removing the pool, but I can see why they did it.

Meeting notes:

We were there for an annual event that serves around 600-700 people and fit very nicely. The hotel has a large number of conference spaces that can be configured into a number of different arrangements to suit individual events needs. The staff all seemed very pleased to have us there and went out of their way to make us feel welcome.

I wasn't directly involved in planning this event, but I know several people who were, and they all indicated that the hotel had an attitude of 'how can we work with you to make this go well' as opposed to 'here's how we do things'. An example was dining. Many attendees to the event are often on tight budgets, so the hotel asked what a good price point would be, then offered a buffet in the restaurant for each meal at that price point. They also provided very reasonably priced concessions.

I've negotiated hotel contracts before for events like these, and I will state quite clearly that this is an attitude to be commended and supported.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
4  Thank Loonbeam
Reviewed 7 February 2009

The best hotel to stay at in Timonium,MD!!!

Great rooms and excellent customer service. The dining room and bar were fabulous and the location is perfect for doing business in the Baltimore area.

Restaurant Manager Larry was extremely accommodating and truly took care of us.

Can't wait to go back.

Brian

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
3  Thank BostonBrian5
Reviewed 10 January 2009

I stayed there for a weekend in January 2009 with my teenage son to attend a lacrosse camp. The rooms are decent size, and we had two adjoining rooms facing into the interior. The rooms were clean and the bathrooms look like they were updated in last decade. The rooms were noisy and not well insulated from hallway noise, and there was a mini convention of some sort in the interior courtyard, so we could here that noise too. The gym is good but not great, but has lot's of aerobic machines so there is no waiting. We had breakfast in the restaurant, but it is really not that good--go offsite. TVs need to be updated. I would have rated the hotel lower except the rooms were cheap at $90/night. Not sure what else was available in the area as this was recommended to us.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank DarienJim
Reviewed 30 December 2008

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights over Christmas. The staff was very friendly. They made certain that the heat was on in our room so we'd arrive to a warm bed. The room was clean and quiet. The hotel offered free meals on Christmas day which was great for travelers. Free WiFi in the room is nice for taking care of business. The hotel is located right off I-83 so it's convenient to the city, Hunt Valley, mall, restaurants, and shopping. We got a great deal on Priceline for $65/night. Try to name your own price.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank NickiT421
Reviewed 17 December 2008

I stayed at this hotel for one night because it was close to where I needed to be. Yes, I guess it is good for hotels in the area, though the next time I am just going to stay at the Residence Inn in Hunt Valley. The Crowne lacks special amenities such as a fridge in the room. Front desk staff was friendly and the room was clean, but it just wasn’t up to Crowne standards. This hotel should be a regular Holiday Inn. True, they leave lavender linen spray, ear plugs, and a relaxing CD (although all they did on the CD was talk) on your bed, but that doesn’t make up for the ordinariness of this hotel. It is ideally situated, right off of I-83 and in walking distance to a metro stop. But, if I am going to pay more than $100 a night in this area on the weekend, I am going to stay elsewhere next time.

• Stayed: December 2008
1  Thank RLTNH
Reviewed 10 November 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Crowne Plaza November 8, 2008 in order to attend a conference at the Days Inn down the street. We had stayed at the Days Inn on two previous occassions, but they were undergoing a major renovation this year, and we hadn't been too pleased with the accommodations the last time we stayed there, so we looked for someplace new this year.

The Crowne Plaza is located off the beaten path in Timonium, near a lot of business supply shops, along a road lined with parked trucks, and backs up to I83. It is a little over a mile to the Days Inn. It was a former Holiday Inn, but has recently undergone a major renovation. Because of my wife's knee and back problems, we reserved a handicapped room.

Check in/Check out was quick and easy. Baggage carts are available if you need them, and they claim to have a bell staff, but I never saw anyone perform this function. Mostly I saw guests pulling their own luggage carts. There is plenty of parking, but handicapped parking was lacking at the closest door to our room, but several spots are available in the front and another side door.

The hotel looked like new inside due to the recent renovation, and had a very spacious atrium, which hosted several events during our stay. Our room was new-looking, clean and spacious and had an accessible bathroom with a walk-in/roll-in shower. It was an "inside" room, with no outside window. Instead, the "window" looked out into the atrium, so we kept the curtains closed during our stay. The room was equipped with an iron, ironing board, hair dryer, multifunction clock, desk and desk chair and a smaller sized TV. Wireless internet was available, but we didn't bring our computers to test it. There were plenty of towels and pillows. The rack to hang clothes was very low (for wheelchair access), and longer clothing would hang on the floor if hung up. They didn't include a "normal" height hanging bar in the room.

The heating/AC unit was a bit noisy when in use, and you could hear any noise in the hallway clearly. Luckily, the hotel was fairly quiet when we stayed, and doesn't seem to attract a noisy crowd.

Dinner at the new hotel restaurant, Northern Lights, looked a bit pricey, so we went elsewhere. Breakfast was reasonable though, so we ate in the next morning. The food and service were good and the seating comfortable (mostly big booths). The restaurant/bar is on the small side, so there may be a wait if a crowd shows up. The place was nearly empty when we went, though.

All in all, it was a good stay. The rooms are on the pricey side, but the accomodations beat anything else in Timonium. So if you HAVE to stay in Timonium, stay here unless you are on a tight budget.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank daveb456
Also consider these accommodations in or near Timonium
Hampton Inn & Suites Baltimore North / Timonium
Holiday Inn Timonium
Holiday Inn Timonium
#2 of 3 in Timonium
Red Roof PLUS+ Baltimore North - Timonium
Red Roof PLUS+ Baltimore North -...
#2 of 2 in Lutherville Timonium
Sheraton Baltimore North Hotel
Extended Stay America - Baltimore - Timonium
Extended Stay America - Baltimor...
#1 of 2 in Lutherville Timonium
4 mi away
Best Western Plus Towson Baltimore North Hotel & Suites

Been to Radisson Hotel North Baltimore? Share your experiences!