“A favorite spot - excellent sushi”
Review of Moby Dick Sushi

Ranked #14 of 62 Restaurants in Wheaton
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Child-friendly
Good for: Child-friendly
Reviewed 10 June 2013

We return again and again to Moby Dick's for their excellent sushi, miso soup and cooked entrees (our favorite is the salmon). A family-run restaurant, the service has always been terrific. Our young children love the edamamae, miso soup, shrimp tempura and California rolls and always appreciate the children's chopsticks that are provided. The sushi is spot on 90% of the time. A true treasure in the area!

Reviewed 7 May 2013

Gnocchi Sorrentina in Positano. Pizza at DiFara's in Brooklyn. And the spicy, crunchy tuna roll at Moby Dick's. The three best things I've ever eaten.

No, this is not the House of Kabob. It is tucked away, a real hole in the wall. I missed it the first couple of years I lived in Silver Spring because I could not find it, didn't believe it was open, and overlooked it. It is next to Marchone's. Blue awning. Rice paper over the windows. But you open the door, and it is lovely, and the sushi is even better.

The chef here is fantastic. The fish is super fresh and soft. He's a true master. What a find. Just go. Just go. Just go.

1  Thank Dom234
Reviewed 1 December 2012

I went to this place after reading all the reviews on here about how wonderful the sushi is; but WOO I was disappointed.

First off, I ordered the Bento Box D. The rice was an unseasoned blob. The nori on the tuna roll was dry and poorly wrapped. The Miso soup was over salted. And the Sashimi was unevenly cut.

My wife ordered Sunomono to start. It was unlike any sunomono either of us had ever seen; complete with two large pieces of fake Krab chunks. For the main course, she ordered the Vegetable roll and the Maryland roll. The rice for both rolls was ample and the nori was dry. But the biggest sin, the crab in the Maryland roll was room temperature and in a mayo based crab salad. She had me taste one to see if it was just her taste buds; but I ate one peice and almost spit it out. I truly wish I would have as my stomach was upset the rest of the day.

So in summary, for $50, we ate a sushi lunch that was truly the worst I have ever eaten. I would say that the supermarket sushi that one can buy at the local Giant is of better quality and will leave you more satisfied.

Reviewed 22 December 2011

I met a colleague here for lunch, and it was our first time visiting the place. I don't eat Sushi, so I ordered the Tofu Teriyaki special ($13). It came with rice, Miso soup, salad, carrots and broccoli. Everything was fresh and tasted great. The portion was so large that I couldn't even finish it. My colleague got one of the sushi specials and he loved it.

The staff (chef, waitress and a bus-boy) were very friendly and let us feel welcome.

Getting there is hard (lots of traffic, tight entrance) and parking is mostly beside parking meters. The building is really ugly, but inside the restaurant it is nice, quiet and clean.

I'll be coming back!

Reviewed 4 September 2011

Unforgivable, hostile service at Moby Dick. My family and I were treated miserably at this establishment tonight, and we will never return.

A shame really, because we have enjoyed Moby Dick without incident a few times in the recent past. The sushi is far from the best we have ever had, but this neighborhood, family-run restaurant had previously sent us home feeling quite satisfied.

But picture this -- it is Saturday night at 7 pm, and my wife, little daughter and I enter Moby Dick ... supposedly at the height of the dinner rush. Of the eight or so tables in this small storefront restaurant, only two are seated. The place is empty.

We are greeted by a monosyllabic mopey teenage boy who is clearly displeased with our presence, as he silently seated us, dropped menus on the table, along with two a la carte sheets and a pencil, and then quickly sought refuge behind the sushi bar, where the chef seemed to be working quite diligently. The only other staffer we saw was a teenage girl sitting at the sushi bar, who was intently concentrating on her soda, and not much else.

And that, dear readers, was the extent of our interaction with the staff at Moby Dick.

Mopey teenage boy emerged from behind the safe barrier offered by the sushi bar to quickly collect the payment of one of the two parties, which departed some 15 minutes after we got there. He took their cash quickly, and brought their change much more casually, each time turning away from us as we tried to get his attention to order drinks.

The a la carte menus has been filled out within five minutes of our arrival, and the menus had been closed. There was no ambiguity involved here. We were ready to order.

But mopey teenage boy would have nothing of it. Another party arrived -- three boys roughly the same age as the torpid, mopey teenage boy -- and he jumped to service them. Disinterested teenage girl leapt from her dream state at the sushi bar and immediately brought them drinks.

Mopey teenage boy, meanwhile, engaged the three newcomers like a fawning sycophant, leaving my daughter enough time to complete two fully detailed self portraits with the crayons she ports hither and yon for just this sort of egregious customer service experience. And each was colored quite elaborately. Two self portraits is our wait limit. Once the second is complete, we're ready to at least have our starters in front of us.

My wife and I wanted to give the dopey, mopey teenage boy the benefit of the doubt. After all, who of us hasn't been one of those in our past (minus the dopier aspects, of course). But to our eyes, this wasn't oversight, or even carelessness.

We both had to conclude that it was deliberate, and threw in the towel after 20+ minutes of waiting for someone to even offer us a glass of water.

They saw us leave, and couldn't have given much of a toss. Three tables were seated at the height of the Saturday dinner hour by this time.

Moby Dick won't last much longer under these circumstances. Far be it for me to wish ill upon a family-run business in this economy, but if dopey teenage boy and disinterested teenage girl are your servers, back out and leave. Go to Sushi Jin in downtown Silver Spring. It's not as good, but at least you'll get fed.

1  Thank ICMDC