“The Real Deal”

Good for: Child-friendly
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“The Real Deal”
Reviewed 21 August 2013

This book can't be judged by its cover. Small, and not much to look at, but the food is wonderful. There is obviously much care taken in the selection of ingredients and the preparation, which seems to be true of fewer sushi places these days. Everything I've tried has been great, but the spicy tuna rolls are my favorite....the chicken teriyaki also good.

• Visited June 2013

MD
“A favorite spot - excellent sushi”
Reviewed 10 June 2013

We return again and again to Moby Dick's for their excellent sushi, miso soup and cooked entrees (our favorite is the salmon). A family-run restaurant, the service has always been terrific. Our young children love the edamamae, miso soup, shrimp tempura and California rolls and always appreciate the children's chopsticks that are provided. The sushi is spot on 90% of the time. A true treasure in the area!

• Visited April 2013
Silver Spring, Maryland
“One of the three best things I've ever eaten”
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Gnocchi Sorrentina in Positano. Pizza at DiFara's in Brooklyn. And the spicy, crunchy tuna roll at Moby Dick's. The three best things I've ever eaten.

No, this is not the House of Kabob. It is tucked away, a real hole in the wall. I missed it the first couple of years I lived in Silver Spring because I could not find it, didn't believe it was open, and overlooked it. It is next to Marchone's. Blue awning. Rice paper over the windows. But you open the door, and it is lovely, and the sushi is even better.

The chef here is fantastic. The fish is super fresh and soft. He's a true master. What a find. Just go. Just go. Just go.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Dom234
Wheaton, Maryland, United States
“The worst sushi I have ever eaten.”
Reviewed 1 December 2012

I went to this place after reading all the reviews on here about how wonderful the sushi is; but WOO I was disappointed.

First off, I ordered the Bento Box D. The rice was an unseasoned blob. The nori on the tuna roll was dry and poorly wrapped. The Miso soup was over salted. And the Sashimi was unevenly cut.

My wife ordered Sunomono to start. It was unlike any sunomono either of us had ever seen; complete with two large pieces of fake Krab chunks. For the main course, she ordered the Vegetable roll and the Maryland roll. The rice for both rolls was ample and the nori was dry. But the biggest sin, the crab in the Maryland roll was room temperature and in a mayo based crab salad. She had me taste one to see if it was just her taste buds; but I ate one peice and almost spit it out. I truly wish I would have as my stomach was upset the rest of the day.

So in summary, for $50, we ate a sushi lunch that was truly the worst I have ever eaten. I would say that the supermarket sushi that one can buy at the local Giant is of better quality and will leave you more satisfied.

• Visited December 2012
Maryland
“Nice Little Place for a Quick Lunch”
Reviewed 22 December 2011

I met a colleague here for lunch, and it was our first time visiting the place. I don't eat Sushi, so I ordered the Tofu Teriyaki special ($13). It came with rice, Miso soup, salad, carrots and broccoli. Everything was fresh and tasted great. The portion was so large that I couldn't even finish it. My colleague got one of the sushi specials and he loved it.

The staff (chef, waitress and a bus-boy) were very friendly and let us feel welcome.

Getting there is hard (lots of traffic, tight entrance) and parking is mostly beside parking meters. The building is really ugly, but inside the restaurant it is nice, quiet and clean.

I'll be coming back!