“ESPRESSO--YEY!”

Ranked #1 of 12 Restaurants in Williamsport
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 10 June 2014

After several days on the trail from Pittsburgh to D.C., i was THRILLED to see Desert Rose offered expresso beverages. We cycled into town late in the afternoon, Desert Rose had apparently just closed..we tried the door, it was locked and noticed the closing time had just passed. We walked across the street and the gal in the cafe opened the door and cheerfully invited us to come back inside. We went back and she was more than happy to make whatever we wanted. All i wanted was an iced-latte, since i hadn't had an espresso drink in 3 days. (reg coffee just doesn't cut it) She made a 16oz iced latte with a half-shot caramel for $2.32 (that included the tax) ! I was so happy--she made my day ! !! Because of her opening up, when she was technically 'closed", i just had to get on trip advisor to give her an excellent rating b/c of her above and beyond attitude--very refreshing. Next time we cycle this route, i will definitely make this stop--earlier, before closing time...and will plan to have my lunch there as well.

2  Thank assunta1910

Reviewed 7 June 2014

a possible must stop along the C&O for cyclists; the uphill climb might challenge some, but it was worth it; better than average simple sandwiches; hearty beans and rice; refreshing smoothies; in a several day c&o journey, this was one of the few places set up for packed cyclists, at least on nice days, to sit outside with their rides and gear; however, since it is located on the main corner of town, so, there are quite a few trucks rumbling around

1  Thank HistorianOnTheGo
Reviewed 21 March 2014

This is now my favorite place in Williamsport -- okay there aren't that many places in Williamsport, but still. It's a small, eclectic coffee shop and cafe, set up close enough to the C&O canal to provide an awesome resting and refueling place for hikers and bikers. It also provides a great place to eat and visit for locals. Rose, Alan and the rest of the crew serve up great food and treat you like family as soon as you walk in the door.

I first visited with my parents about a year ago and fell in love with the soup. Return visits have cemented my belief that Alan makes the best soup in the world. No matter what, get a bowl. You won't be disappointed. Sandwiches are straight forward and nourishing. They also have vegetarian options. And the desserts -- crafted by Rose's mother-in-law -- are great. If you have a sweet tooth and love chocolate, pray that they have the chocolate pecan pie when you visit. Both the soups and the desserts rotate, so every visit is a surprise. (Soon, you'll have the added bonus of the ice cream and sweet shop across the street that they are preparing to open.)

We loved Desert Rose so much that when it was time to hold my mom's 80th birthday party, we called them up to see if we could host it there after hours. Rose was so accommodating and helpful. She worked with us to plan a menu, and allowed us to put up decorations and re-arrange the cafe to suit the event. She, Alan, and Mike bent over backwards to make the evening an absolute success. (They do catering, so were easily able to accommodate the event and add some heftier dishes to the menu.)

When I write reviews I try to add a critical element, but I'm really struggling to come up with anything that I don't like about this place. It's Williamsport at it's very best. Simple, down-to-earth, friendly, and delicious.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

Decided to stop for a quick snack at the Desert Rose Cafe while biking the C&O Canal Trail and ended up staying for an hour. The baked goods were great, but it was the friendly staff that really made an impression. They went out of their way to make us feel at home and seemed genuinely interested in making a connection rather than just providing a service. Stop by and say "Hi" next time you are on the Canal Trail - you'll be glad you did.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

We hiked the C&O Canal Trail recently and stopped in at the Desert Rose Cafe for lunch. Our dog, who also hiked, was allowed to sit with us our outside table. (No dogs inside though). That was a big plus. The service was friendly. The food was good. I enjoyed the seasonal pumpkin soup. Would recommend if you are in Williamsport.