“Absolute Perfection”

Ranked #1 of 6 Barnstable B&B and Inns
Hudson, New Hampshire
“Absolute Perfection”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2009

Let me start by saying, this is my first B&B that I've been to. I didn't know exactly what to expect, but I was pleasantly surprised. From the moment you pull up the long driveway you can feel there is something special about this place. Old grayed shakes on the exterior of the home. Exactly what you picture in your mind of a Cape Cod gem. And not until you get up close to the home do you feel its energy. Those old tired grayed shakes have endured many harsh winters and salty air. The shakes themselves tell a long unspoken story. When we entered the home, we were greeted at the door by one of the owners: Pat. Very proud of the Manor she was, and she has no issues discussing its rich history. Being a history major myself and a lumber salesman by profession, I found it difficult to absorb all the verbal and visual history in one sitting. I could of sat there for a week taking in everything. From the true old wide pine floor boards to the unique Cape color choices of each room. Being in a house that was built in 1699 and sleeping in a section of the house that was added in 1750 or thereabouts was all so surreal.
When I first entered the Canterbury suite(our room), I was fighting my emotions back. I started to get choked up a bit. From the old style speed-base moldings to the elegant shelving over the fireplace. From the lovely colors and patterns of the wallpaper to the rich cherry and other assorted warm wood species that made the priceless and timeless furniture selections. The room was candy for the eyes in every way. Believe it or not , as much as I love jacuzzi's, the room's spirit and charm overshadowed any modern amenity. I never thought I'd ever say that. My girlfriend did love the jacuzzi though. She enjoyed that as I soaked up the tangible visuals. Over our 2 night stay, my sleeping was uninterrupted. The entire manor was more quiet than any resort or hotel I've ever slept in. The bed was like sleeping on a cloud.
We ate breakfast outside one morning which was incredible. Temp was 65 degrees. The sun was out for the first time in weeks and the dew was still present on the grass. The views to the back yard are beautiful and peaceful. I won't give everything away but the food was sensational. Fruits were very fresh and the muffins and food were hot and delectable. Well rounded selection that leaves your taste-buds fully satisfied. The second morning we had breakfast in the oldest part of the house, the dining room. A large original fireplace is the focal point of the room. You feel as though you have gone back 300 years. This room is alive.
After each breakfast both Pat and Vince(co-owners) were lovely enough to give us an in-depth history of the home and were nice enough to show us the Queen Charlottes Room. There is a intriguing secret about this room that has a great story. You should ask them.
I could go on and on about The Ashley Manor, but I hate long reviews. If anybody has any questions please e-mail me. Overall, I absolutely loved this B&B. My first experience was one I will never forget. Pat and Vince were two of the nicest people that my girlfriend and I have come across. They never make you feel as though that its their house. They make you feel like its yours. Thanks

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank drumsh0cker

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
mpatrickriley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2009

My wife and I just finished a week at Cape Cod for our honeymoon and stayed at Ashley Manor. We were looking for a quiet place to unwind from the busyness of wedding preparations, and Ashley Manor may well have been the most perfect place for our trip.

We stayed in Phinney's Terrace, one of the two rooms in the house (the other four rooms are the larger suites). The room was very well furnished, with the decorations fitting the style of the house and the bed and chairs very comfortable. The fireplace was appreciated, as our evenings (even in June) were quite cool.

The breakfasts were a highlight of each day. In fact, the breakfasts were so good that, as much as it might have been nice to sleep in really late one of the mornings, we just couldn't justify missing breakfast! Each morning, the meal consisted of three courses, with coffee or tea and a choice of juices. The breakfasts were so filling that we rarely felt the need to eat lunch during our week there.

Pat and Vince were supremely a gracious hostess and host, eager to make our stay as wonderful as they could. We regularly sought their advice for sightseeing and restaurants, and they provided great suggestions. Their attention to detail in keeping our room for the week was always appreciated; coming in at the end of the day and finding new chocolates was a delight. We particularly enjoyed conversations with them at breakfast, getting to know a bit about the history of the house and the area.

The four stars for Value is not a criticism; I believe the rates at Ashley Manor are eminently fair; it seems to me that five stars would be given for a rate so inexpensive you feel you got a steal.

My wife and I would recommend Ashley Manor without hesitation, and hope, at some point in the future, to return to stay there again.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2009

This is a lovely B&B where the owners clearly take great pride in looking after their guests. The bedroom was carefully furnished to be as comfortable as possible and included a reclining armchair to relax in and read with a good reading light nearby. Breakfast was delicious and an introduction to some Cape Cod specialities.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pasham
anywhere, usa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2009

My fiance's family lives on the Cape, but we decided to stay in a B&B to have some alone time during our visit. This place exceeded my expectations (and I am admittedly finicky), especially for the off-season rate we paid. We stayed in the Terrace room, which was bigger than I had expected from the pictures on the website. The owner gave us a tour when we arrived and detailed the idiosyncracies of the room (e.g., use this to hold the window open, don't bump your head when going out on the terrace, etc.), which I completely appreciated. The bed was great - not too firm, not too soft. There is both hand soap at the sink and a separate bar for the shower (sounds silly, but I have stayed in a lot of hotels that give you only one bar for both). Towels and linens were crisply clean and smelled like home (maybe b/c I grew up in New England). Breakfast was delicious, but a little formal - it is broken up into 3 courses, which they serve you, so it takes about a 1/2 hr - but I think that's b/c they cook your portion once you sit down and I'm sure they would be amenable to an on-the-go breakfast (we didn't ask). The grounds are amazing - a tennis court (they have extra rackets) and plush lawn replete with adirondack chairs. There are also two rooms downstairs where guests can stretch out in comfy chairs/on sofas. The owners are great and can give advice for making your touristy activities more hassle-free (as they did for other guests over breakfast). This place was exactly what we needed to relax and enjoy our cape stay - we couldn't have been happier.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2009

This was a nice quiet stay. The Inn Keepers were very curtious and explained everything from the start. Breakfast was fulfilling and had an excellent presentation. The King George Suite was great and look just like the pictures on their website. I'm not sure what problems "Bubble Boy" is having with this place but, we had no problems at all. We definitely would like to visit and stay here again. Just so you know, we are a young couple in our late 20s so, it isn't just for older couples. We also experienced another couple getting married at the house on Valentine's Day. So, if someone would wan to get married here surely means this place is beautiful enough to have the ceremony.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
San Diego, Ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2008

We stayed at the Ashley Manor for two nights but wish we had stayed for at least four. Innkeepers are usually friendly folks but Vince and Patricia are the best. They go out of their way to make you comfortable and your experience pleasant. They knew the history of the house and showed us hiding places that used to hide Tories. The beautiful house was originally built in 1699 with additions in the 1700 and 1800s. We loved staying in the historic bedroom that had been the bedroom in the original house in 1699. Falling asleep with the light from the fireplace in the room made us think of how it was hundreds of years ago. The house is immaculate. We felt like we were staying with our best friends. If you are looking for a place to relax and unwind, this is the place. You can travel to anywhere on the Cape from this location within a reasonable time. There are many nice places to stay when visiting Cape Cod but the Ashley Manor is at the top.

• Liked — The personalities of the innkeepers
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2008

Had a wonderful time @ Ashley Manor. The Innkeepers, Pat & Vince did everything we requested and more. Booked an in room Massage for 2, and there was plenty of space for both masseuses to work without getting each others way. They put a specific bottle of wine in the room prior to our arrival, and have complimentary liquers in the library, as well as our suite. Breakfast was fantastic & very filling before heading out for a day of power shopping or whatever. The Ashley suite is very private and you can interact with other guests only @ breakfast if you wish, or join them in the common rooms to socialize and get good tips as to what to do the next day. Whole heartedly recommend this B&B and look forward to returning again.
Tim & Kaitlyn
N.B, Ct.

• Liked — The owners, & accomodations
  • Disliked — No complaints
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barnstable
Bayside Resort Hotel
#2 of 6 in Barnstable
Liberty Hill Inn
Liberty Hill Inn
#1 of 8 in Yarmouth Port

Been to Ashley Manor? Share your experiences!