Let me start by saying, this is my first B&B that I've been to. I didn't know exactly what to expect, but I was pleasantly surprised. From the moment you pull up the long driveway you can feel there is something special about this place. Old grayed shakes on the exterior of the home. Exactly what you picture in your mind of a Cape Cod gem. And not until you get up close to the home do you feel its energy. Those old tired grayed shakes have endured many harsh winters and salty air. The shakes themselves tell a long unspoken story. When we entered the home, we were greeted at the door by one of the owners: Pat. Very proud of the Manor she was, and she has no issues discussing its rich history. Being a history major myself and a lumber salesman by profession, I found it difficult to absorb all the verbal and visual history in one sitting. I could of sat there for a week taking in everything. From the true old wide pine floor boards to the unique Cape color choices of each room. Being in a house that was built in 1699 and sleeping in a section of the house that was added in 1750 or thereabouts was all so surreal.
When I first entered the Canterbury suite(our room), I was fighting my emotions back. I started to get choked up a bit. From the old style speed-base moldings to the elegant shelving over the fireplace. From the lovely colors and patterns of the wallpaper to the rich cherry and other assorted warm wood species that made the priceless and timeless furniture selections. The room was candy for the eyes in every way. Believe it or not , as much as I love jacuzzi's, the room's spirit and charm overshadowed any modern amenity. I never thought I'd ever say that. My girlfriend did love the jacuzzi though. She enjoyed that as I soaked up the tangible visuals. Over our 2 night stay, my sleeping was uninterrupted. The entire manor was more quiet than any resort or hotel I've ever slept in. The bed was like sleeping on a cloud.
We ate breakfast outside one morning which was incredible. Temp was 65 degrees. The sun was out for the first time in weeks and the dew was still present on the grass. The views to the back yard are beautiful and peaceful. I won't give everything away but the food was sensational. Fruits were very fresh and the muffins and food were hot and delectable. Well rounded selection that leaves your taste-buds fully satisfied. The second morning we had breakfast in the oldest part of the house, the dining room. A large original fireplace is the focal point of the room. You feel as though you have gone back 300 years. This room is alive.
After each breakfast both Pat and Vince(co-owners) were lovely enough to give us an in-depth history of the home and were nice enough to show us the Queen Charlottes Room. There is a intriguing secret about this room that has a great story. You should ask them.
I could go on and on about The Ashley Manor, but I hate long reviews. If anybody has any questions please e-mail me. Overall, I absolutely loved this B&B. My first experience was one I will never forget. Pat and Vince were two of the nicest people that my girlfriend and I have come across. They never make you feel as though that its their house. They make you feel like its yours. Thanks
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A romantic Bed and Breakfast located in the heart of Cape Cod’s Historic district, minutes from Historic Barnstable Village and Barnstable Harbor. Ashley Manor offers two acres of park like grounds, tennis court and six beautifully appointed guest rooms, four luxury suites and two traditional rooms. Each suite features a wood-burning fireplace, full private bath and a separate two-person Jacuzzi tub. A full gourmet breakfast is served outdoors in the warm weather on the patio overlook the garden and tennis court. In cooler months, enjoy your breakfast in front of a roaring fire in the formal dining room. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Traveltool, S.L.U. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Ashley Manor reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ashley Manor Hotel Barnstable
- Ashley Manor Barnstable, MA - Cape Cod