“Disappointing B&B”
Review of Beechwood Inn

Beechwood Inn
Ranked #6 of 6 Barnstable B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 September 2011

Comfortable rooms. Decent food (i.e. Breakfast). Nonetheless being in a B&B we would have expected personnalized services which we did not get. For example, Wifi was not working, beach towels were out of stock (we had to buy ours), old and noisy television, was not as clean as should be, limited information on local activities. Good cookies...

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank Bibidevmr
davidpault, Owner at Beechwood Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2011

I'm sorry that "Montreal" did not have a good experience at Beechwood Inn and chose to write his review rather than telling me.
Responding to each of Montreal's statements:
1. The couple RAVED about the breakfasts like so many of the tripadvisor reviews, so the rating of "decent"??
2. I gave the couple plenty of personal attention even with a full inn for Labor Day weekend:
a. I described restaurants whose menus are in the parlor, made reservations for them and gave them driving directions
b. They wanted to go to the beach for their one full day on Cape Cod so I described 5 different nearby beaches and gave them driving directions for each
c It was raining on the morning they left. As their transportation was a motorcycle, I held my umbrella over Montreal as he packed the storage units on his motorcycle
3. Montreal had 1 full day to enjoy Cape Cod and chose to go to the beach. There are 21 brochures and schedules for Cape Cod activities in the parlor. Additionally, there are copies of the best guidebook for Cape Cod that is available for guests to take with them
4. The effects of hurricane Irene and the loss of electric power for 2 full days just days before Montreal's arrival had an impact on their comments as follows:
a. WiFi crashed like so many other computers/networks on Cape Cod during the outage. I had to wait in line for technical support to fix the problem. It is now working perfectly again.
b. After 2 days of no electricity the inn had piles of laundry. I prioritized guest room sheets and towels over beach towels. By the time Montreal was ready to go out I had given out all the clean beach towels. I offered to go buy some for them and that was declined. I told them to take the room towels and that was declined.
c The tv cable service was still degraded when electric power was restored. The previous guest in Montreal's room mis-adjusted the volume control. If I had been told, the fix takes less than one minute. Since the digital upgrade to our cable service all of Beechwood Inn's have brilliant picture and excellent sound.
I believe Montreal's review is an anomaly as well as directly caused by the effects of the biggest storm on Cape Cod in 20 years. It should be removed.
Thank you!

There are newer reviews for Beechwood Inn

Reviewed 15 August 2011

Perfect cape cod b&b- charming room with an extremely comfortable bed. Our three course French toast breakfast was delicious! Ken, the inn keeper, was very helpful and suggested some great restaurants and beaches. We got very lucky booking last minute here and will definitely book in advance for several days next time we are at the cape.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 August 2010

My girlfriend and I stayed at this incredibly inviting, warm and friendly inn
for four nights. We found the area spectacularly lush sitting on historic
6A. Tucked away behind enormous hedges resides Ken and Debbie
who welcome you with open arms. It's like coming home to family.
You even have your choice of golden retriever to call your own(The innkeepers
breed and board goldens). The surrounding area is the perfect backdrop to the
relaxation and tranquility one will experience as a guest here. A major
suggestion: Listen to Ken when he offers advice on where to eat. He's connected..
in a good way and he and Debbie are the reason we are coming back next summer.
The Cape is lucky to have them and their business.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 August 2010

This place is truly wonderful and romantic. We visited beechwood during a short getaway from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. We were so impressed with the grounds, our room, and our hosts. Debbie, the hostess, made the most amazing breakfasts during our stay. It was nice to have something other than eggs and toast. But a real gourmet meal.

The biggest treat was seeing the gorgeous golden retriever pups, they were so adorable.

I would truly recommend this terrific place.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2010

The setting is OK, Barnstable is itself is charming - the breakfast is three courses of sweets.. "who doesnt like desert for breakfast!" was the comment. I dont know - I think we could have done better although the Hosts, and the big Beech tree are very nice..

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hinsdale034
Reviewed 3 August 2010

I planned a family gathering for my husband's milestone birthday, and once we arrived at Beechwood Inn, I knew that I had picked the perfect place. Our family occupied 5 of the 6 rooms, and everyone in our party was pleased with their room. Each room was unique and well appreciated by the occupants. The bed linens were smooth and the towels were plush. There were refrigerators and wine glasses in every room -- and the latter were replaced each day (a good thing for our group). The large wrap around porch was our gathering place in the morning before breakfast and after dinner, with ample rocking chairs and tables. Breakfast was a big treat -- both from the food served to the conversations we had with Ken and Debbie, who are warm hosts. I must commend Debbie for gracefully meeting the challenge of varied dietary needs while serving delicious treats. The dog lovers in the group really loved the Golden Retrievers. (We were lucky to have stayed at Beechwood Inn while 8 brand new puppies were in residence.) There was fresh lemonade each afternoon/evening, coffee available 24/7 and chocolate chip cookies. There were plenty of guidebooks to help us in planning our day trips, and menus from local restaurants to help us choose where to eat. There is a comfortable parlor at the Inn, but we used the porch because the weather was wonderful during our visit.

Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank baweber
Reviewed 2 August 2010

I would definitely stay at the Beechwood again. The Inn Keepers pay attention to every detail and are friendly, accessible, helpful, and go out of their way to make everything perfect - down to the homemade cookies and lemonade on the porch served daily. The Beechwood is named aptly so due to the large gorgeous weeping beechwood trees that grace the front and back yards at this inn. Upon arrival, I didn't know what to expect with my 8 year old son in tow, but quickly realized that we were in a special place. When Ken, the inn keeper, gave us an informative oral history of the Inn in his outgoing and friendly manner, his love of stories became contagious. Each morning during a truly wonderful breakfast of homemade baked goods, fruits, and entree -- we ended up sharing many stories with Ken and his co-inn keeper, Debbie, until we all felt like old friends. My son loved rocking in the large chairs on the large wrap around porch, and my entire family was able to "take over" the inn with the 5 bedrooms out of 6 that we occupied. It felt very private and very much like a step back in time with the antique interior charm and furnishings - each with their own history.

Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barnstable
Best Western Cape Cod Hotel
The Mansion at Ocean Edge Resort & Golf Club
Lamb and Lion Inn
Lamb and Lion Inn
#2 of 6 in Barnstable

Been to Beechwood Inn? Share your experiences!