“Lovely Inn and wonderful innkeepers”
Review of Beechwood Inn

Beechwood Inn
Ranked #5 of 6 Barnstable B&B and Inns
Boston, Massachusetts
“Lovely Inn and wonderful innkeepers”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

My husband and I stayed at this Inn recently. Our room was very comfortable with charming antique features, such as the four poster bed and the "fainting" couch. I loved the pedestal sink in the bathroom with the antique "hot": and :"cold" taps. It is within easy walking distance of bustling Barnstable Village. (Go try the Blue Plate Diner and have supper at the Dolphin restaurant!) The innkeepers were incredibly hospitable and local to the area. Breakfast was yummy. I enjoyed sitting on the wrap around porch with my coffee under a majestic beech tree. Only recently purchased by a young couple, given their commitment and style, I predict this inn will keep getting better as they work to put their own stamp on it.

Room Tip: Rose Room was on the first floor, very comfortable four poster bed. It features a wrap around verand...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mirm60745

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Wilbraham, Massachusetts
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I enjoy discovering new places and this is one of them! Located nicely off the busy streets of some areas of the cape, walking distance from the village, marina and beachfront and yet close to the busy areas if you want to go. Very neat, tidy. Lovely new owners. Gourmet breakfast in the sweet dining room which I could smell as I woke up - very nice. I stayed in the Lilac Room and it was light, quiet, spacious. Enjoyed learning the history of the B&B and the fabulous beechwood trees which protected us beautifully as Hurricane Arthur swept by. Bedding and towels were very nice and clean. Mattresses probably could be replaced but that is often a personal choice anyhow. Brought over a couple of visitors while I was there and they too really liked it. Peeked in at a couple of other rooms and they were totally lovely as well. I relaxed and had a great long weekend at the Beechwood. Thank you!

Room Tip: Each room has its own personality in decor - study the photos online for your favorite before reserv...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 May 2014

My family and I just enjoyed a fantastic 2 might stay at the Beechwood Inn. the new owners bought the property in November of 2013 and they are fantastic! Julie is a wonderful cook - beautiful breakfasts, delicious coffee and a nice set up should you like a coffee or tea anytime of day! The inn is in a wonderful location, was very clean and tidy with very comfortable beds and bedding. I can't say enough good things about our experience, and I can't wait to go back!!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jacki V
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Given the 4.5 stars and the favorable feedback on Trip Advisor we expected the Inn to be very quaint and cozy. I always expect to see a few less favourable reports on Trip Advisor and tend to minimize their value as some people are just complainers but this place did not live up to the feedback that we read.

On a positive note Ken the owner is excellent, friendly and extremely helpful in providing advice on Cape Cod, restaurants etc.. The bedding and towels were clean as was the bathroom. It was quiet and was a room for a couple of days but not the memorable spot that I would look forward to returning to.

The rooms were furnished in antiques but they were rickety and less than comfortable to sit or lounge in. We have antiques in our home and these were just tired furnishing. The bedroom had been cleaned down the center and looked clean but the dust under the bed was thick.

The deck had been repaired but a number of boards were rotted through in spots and the weeds in the front of the house were tall and again a symptom of the poor maintenance.

Breakfast the first day was okay but another Trip Advisor report that indicated it was like eating desert was right. Just too much sweet stuff and chocolate is not our thing at breakfast. He would have been better to just have a toaster and bagels or nice muffins than the Portuguese bread that Ken raved about.

We enjoyed Cape Cod and the Inn was okay but we passed man other B&Bs on the Cape that looked much nicer.

Room Tip: If you still feel compelled to stay here stay on the main floor to avoid the narrow stairs if you ha...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Phil G
Wallingford, Connecticut
Reviewed 10 October 2013 via mobile

We had a wonderful return trip to the Beechwood for our 1st wedding anniversary. It's so easy to day trip from here and the owner is so friendly. Breakfast was excellent both days. We haven't been for a few years and I feel the property needs a good deep clean and some updating but it is was a lovely trip and we can't wait to return.

• Stayed September 2013
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 6 August 2013

If you are looking for a quiet, romantic B&B to get away from it all, Beechwood is perfect. The building itself—a classic Victorian—is charming. Our bed was very comfortable and the room was spotless. My husband and I stayed in the Cottage Room and found it to be plenty spacious. We enjoyed relaxing in the rocking chairs on the wrap around porch and in the parlor. The lighting was a little dim in our room, but other than that, no complaints! Breakfast was definitely a full meal—each morning started with a slice of baked coffee cake, fresh fruit, then was followed one morning by omelettes and another by a sweet Portuguese bread bake with chocolate chips and strawberries. Barnstable where Beachwood is located is more of a sleepy town, but there are a few nice restaurants nearby, and it is within easy driving distance of more bustling (and expensive) cities. Ken the inn keeper is extremely friendly and welcoming, though he is not at the inn most nights (we had everything we needed though.) Overall, definitely a solid choice, and we would stay here again!

Room Tip: My husband and I stayed in the Cottage Room and found it to be plenty spacious and the handpainted f...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Seven Valleys, P
Reviewed 1 July 2013

I need to preface this review by saying the owner has some serious health problems which may have affected the quality of the inn. The house itself is amazing, a rabbit warren of rooms entering into rooms, staircases everywhere and original architectural details that are incredible! We stayed in the Lilac room (so named because of the bathroom). The room was huge, as was the bathroom. There is a separate room for the shower. Although the bed was king size, it wasn't the most comfortable. The mattress was thin, so the fitted sheet wouldn't stay put. I found myself tangled a few times. My husband and I live in an old house that we restored, so we are used to steep staircases, and believe me, these staircases are steep! Not recommended for the elderly. Although Ken (who is very friendly and personable) was there to greet us, he could not be there to greet the other guests who arrived much later. This resulted in them looking for their rooms, trying to get through our doors, and generally making noise late at night. (I hope it was the late arriving guests. Afterall, it is an old house!). The breakfast was excellent!

Room Tip: I can only stress that if one has trouble with stairs, specify a first floor room.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Karen S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barnstable
Best Western Cape Cod Hotel
#2 of 6 in Barnstable
Ashley Manor
Ashley Manor
#1 of 6 in Barnstable

Been to Beechwood Inn? Share your experiences!