“Don’t get the veggie burger”

The Barnstable Restaurant and Tavern
Ranked #3 of 9 Restaurants in Barnstable
Price range: US$10 - US$25
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Healthy
Good for: Bar Scene, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Local cuisine, Groups
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Barnstable Restaurant and Tavern Chef/Owner Bob Calderone brings "Great Food and Friendly Service" to Historic Rte. 6A. Open every day for lunch and dinner, we always serve fresh and if possible local food! We feature creative Cape Cod cuisine with a full menu of exciting appetizers, refreshing salads, and fabulous seafood, meat, and Italian specialty dishes. Try our popular thin crust pizzas or our award-winning grilled Tavern Burger! People also enjoy our fried seafood platters, Fruit of the Sea mixture served over a bed of tasty pasta, and our fresh homemade New England clam chowder. Our friendly servers can guide you through our menu if you need recommendations. We also a full selection of beer, wine, and other spirits to drink with your meal. Sit inside our rustic English-style pub tavern our outside on our spacious patio. We offer many daily meal specials. Stop by today for a memorable meal in a relaxing setting!
Boston
“Don’t get the veggie burger”
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Uninspiring food, though waitress was very sweet. The veggie burger was inedible. We had lunch in the tavern side; not sure if dining room offers better fare.

Visited January 2014

Boston, Massachusetts
“HORRIBLE Service”
Reviewed 17 January 2014

My husband and I have been here about a dozen times because it's local and the food is always good. We always know going in the service is going to be slow. Finally we had just had enough. Every single time we were there the place seemed so short-staffed. The hostess was bussing tables and filling drinks behind the bar. The bartenders work behind the bar and the whole lounge and always seem overwhelmed. I can understand "busy" but what I won't tolerate is rudeness. The bartender with the short gray hair is an embarrassment to the service industry. The final straw was meeting my husband for a drink at the bar. We were the only people at the bar as it was early. I sat down and waited a good five minutes to be greeted even though the bartender walked by 4 times. Greeted is a stretch since all she did was stand in front of me with raised eyebrows as if to say "what do you want to drink?" No hello, no smile, no words. She managed to say "menus?" but never came back and asked if we wanted to order. Never offered us a refill. We sat with empty glasses for 20 minutes and when we asked for the check her response was "uh huh" and walks right by the computer to the other side of the bar to chat with a "regular" who had walked in. Five minutes later we get the check and for the first time in my life left $0 tip. We will NEVER return.

• Visited December 2013
sfinegold, Owner at The Barnstable Restaurant and Tavern, responded to this review, 19 January 2014
Dear LG4802: I was very sorry to hear of your experience at the tavern. I will use this for training and development for my staff. I would never want to be treated in this manner and I am truly sorry that you were. I would like to reimburse you for your experience and send you a gift certificate to return and try us again. Please send you name and address to susan@barnstablerestaurant.com Sincerely, Susan
Stoughton, Massachusetts
“Prices reasonable, but nothing to write home about”
Reviewed 14 January 2014

A local restaurant that should have been a better choice. Unfortunately the hot water in the bathrooms did not work. extreme cold water to wash hands. Told the server and she said they were aware of the problem but it would be taken care of the next day. Was there hot water in the kitchen I hope so. The claim soup was extremely watery few claims, few potatoes mainly colored water, definitely not New England Clam chowder, The entree was acceptable for a local diner but not a restaurant. The deserts were skimpy. I will not be returning.

• Visited January 2014
Hi Superdollar.. Our hot Water heater that serves the restrooms and the other office units upstairs from the restaurant has been replaced, and the hot water has returned. WE were working on the issue the day you came in.We are so sorry for the inconvenience. Yes,of course we had hot water in the kitchen ( it is a different unit). I am also sorry you did not enjoy our clam chowder. It is actually made right on site, and is not a prepackaged variety, which many restaurants use today. Perhaps that is the style you prefer more. We have in house review sheets we give to customers, this allows us to keep tabs on our food, quality and service. We always receive rave reviews regarding our chowder. We offer $19.95 priced fixed meal which includes a glass of wine. For this special we actually do not serve a full size dessert, we feel what we serve is the perfect size to top off this three course meal and glass of wine. We work very hard to take care of and please our diners, sorry you were not one of them. If you are back in the area please introduce yourself, so we can make sure you are taken care of on your next visit. Respectfully, Susan
Dublin, Ireland
“Good food, not enough staff”
Reviewed 3 January 2014

I started by phoning to ask if I needed a reservation and the host replied sharply, 'That's probably a good idea' followed by silence. This set the tone for the night - good food but overwhelmed, somewhat hapless staff. Despite making the reservation we were seated 15 minutes late and were seated in the bar area. I was surprised as this is quite different from the more formal dining room. The host seemed oblivious. There was no apology for the tardiness of our seating nor reason given for the bar table. The one bartender was responsible for the entire room - all the people at the bar and all the tables, maybe 7-8 in total. This is too much for one person despite the bartender's genuine efforts.

The food was good but not great. We had the three course meal for $20 per person which was fair for the quality. I was disappointed the Caesar salad used cheese shaken from a box rather than real shavings from a proper block of Parmesan. The steak tips were good quality and cooked medium as I asked but were drowned in a too sweet bbq sauce which was a shame. Also at one point I was given a bottle of beer which was nearly room temperature. The baked Sole with crabmeat stuffing and the warm chocolate brownie dessert were particular highlights.

Overall the place has great potential but this meal wasn't more than average.

• Visited December 2013
canada
“Amazing food and great value!”
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Amazing food! We had Crab cakes, duck, salmon and steak. All were amazing in taste and presentation.

Visited December 2013