“Surely bartender over priced bad cocktails”

Picasso Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #1 of 17 Restaurants in Barre
Price range: US$16 - US$25
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Bar
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
sarasota
“Surely bartender over priced bad cocktails”
Reviewed 24 February 2014

This is an over priced average restaurant..nothing special...salmon is farm raised..salad from a bag.....frozen and microwaved food.. ....overcooked fish tsk tsk

• Visited December 2013
picassostaff, Owner at Picasso Restaurant & Bar, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
We appreciate your feedback about your experience at Picasso. I would like to address some of your concerns. Our bartender/mixologist carefully crafts our martinins using premium spirits, fresh squeezed juices and house made simple syrups and infusions. We also use a larger than standard martini glass. The quality and quantity of our martinis are reflected in their price. Also, on Thursdays we offer a $5 martini and wine menu. In terms of your food concerns, we carefully select the freshest ingredients that are available to us. I agree that Wild Alaskan salmon is the healthiest salmon you could eat but it is not available year round. We decided to use a salmon farmed off the coast of Maine in pristine ocean waters which we get two days after it has been swimming. Not only is this a local product but this salmon is Eco certified by the IFQC Global Trust.
We make every attempt to cook our salmon to our customer specification which is why we ask how you would like it cooked. I personally like to eat our sushi grade salmon cooked rare. I see that you are from Florida and maybe you can get local produce in February. For the past two years we have sourced our salad greens from Kittridge farm in North Brookfield. Although they have greenhouses, the greens are not available in the peak of winter. Yes, in February our salad greens come in bags and boxes. Finally, all of our food is cooked to order on a char-grill, oven or saute pan. Like many chain restaurants where food is made in a central location, I can assure you that all of our preparations including our sauces, dressings and desserts are made by our chefs in house.

Barre, Massachusetts, United States
“Dissatisfied”
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Have eaten at this restaurant on a regular basis and it is going down hill on the same regular basis. The only reason I will return now is to use up gift cards. Our last visit was on a Wednesday evening for the "special". Used to be a good selection for a reasonable price. Now they are cutting corners and the price has exceeded quality. I ordered Salmon and I always used to order it with mashed potato as I find the rice too dry and I love mashed potato. I was told "no substituting". Really? mashed potato was offered for other entrees. Also I was told they were out of the asparagus that came with this entree. We were the first customers that evening. "We are substituting zucchini". I asked for spinach as I don't care for zucchini as was told no.
I find it too bad to lose a regular customer over not serving a little potato and a different vegetable.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Sherry M
picassostaff, Owner at Picasso Restaurant & Bar, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
Sherry,
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I would like to respond to a few of your concerns. We take pride in serving the freshest food in a timely manner and are always trying to meet the needs of our customers. We have been running our $20 Wednesday 3-course special for 6 years and just recently raised the price to $23. The cost of food has risen significantly over this time and we feel that the special is still a great value. During the winter, asparagus is hit or miss and was not available the week you were in. We have also recently changed our substitution policy at the restaurant. As a chef and owner it is a balancing act to make accommodations for peoples dietary needs and desires while not having to make a special meal for every customer. In the past we have been overly flexible in allowing every customer to substitute ingredients and it has resulted in longer waits for your food. It is difficult to find a policy that doesn't have its flaws. We have received similar concern with this policy from other customers we have made some changes. We listen to our customers feedback and are continuing to improve our quality and service.
Miami, Florida
“Amazing”
Reviewed 31 December 2013 via mobile

This is a top of the line restaurant in the most unlikely small town. What a pleasant experience we had dining with family on a New Years Eve. Seating about 75, it is nicely decorated and warm. A small bar area is on the left as you enter. My only complaint is that the pris fixe price for New Years was too high for the area. But the food and service were divine.

Boston, Massachusetts
“Mouth watering”
Reviewed 27 November 2013

We got the salad special to share as an appetizer. It was delicious the ingredients very fresh and a substantial portion. I got the special braised short ribs with cheese polenta grits and spinach. My mouth is watering again just thinking of them. The meat was so tender you didn't even need a knife and ohhhh what flavor. Absolute heaven. My boyfriend got the steak which was cooked perfectly and seasoned to perfection. The specials were in the same range of prices as their regular meals. I would not hesitate to go there again. Only downside is the acoustics. It is a very loud place with everyone talking and difficult to hear the rest of your dinner party.

• Visited November 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“Couldn't let this slide”
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Ok, this was our third time dining here. The first two times we were impressed. This last time around Halloween, the experience was too pricey to outrageous. The waitress read off the specials but failed to state the prices of them. We did not think to ask because it clearly states right here prices range from $13-21. I would assume the specials would be close to this range if not better. Even if they were a little more, no biggie. My eyes popped out when I got the bill.. $35 and $38 for each special! Although the food is good here, the special I had was not that good.. Very salty and overcooked and dry (it was one lobster tail over potatoes, veg. no other protein)These specials were extremely over priced. We wouldn't have ordered them if she would have stated the price. Some drink specials were $5 so I'm thinking they made up for that in the specials? Anyway, we were very disappointed and just chalked it up as a loss. We had another person with us who didn't order a special, plus we had some drinks which were just ok but amaretto not good according to one in our party. The creme brûlée Dessert was not worth the price either.. No taste, bland, didn't seem done properly and very tiny. I feel the waitress should state the prices as she is explaining each special. Due to the fact she didn't state the prices, it appears the prices could have been determined at the time by whoever was in charge.

• Visited October 2013

Been to Picasso Restaurant & Bar? Share your experiences!