“A wonderful place to be”
Review of Kushi Institute

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Kushi Institute
Ranked #3 of 5 things to do in Becket
New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“A wonderful place to be”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

All I have to say is that the classes are wonderful and the food is outrageous. I was very sick when I got there and after following the macrobiotic diet my health improved and now I'm healed.

Visited June 2013
5 Thank Meiyer A

Fort Myers, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“very disappointed”
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I took level one at Kushi. A teacher passed away from cancer while I was there. It was freezing cold and we ran out of heat several times. Facilities are runned down. I too saw people crying and hungry. .The diet has some good things but it has not evolved thru the years and now long time macro's are dying from cancer. The teachers were very thin and unhealthy looking. I too saw alcholism,smoking and a teacher that acted unprofessional . The people running it in my opinion are rigid and unwilling to take a good look at what is happening up there.Most of the quality faculty has left . You have to go into a basement for the computer .The kitchen that you have cooking classes in does not have running water or refrigeration, it is in a room that was a chapel. I had such hopes to go and learn but left very disappointed. The certificate you get is useless . Don't waste your money.

Visited December 2013
23 Thank 782joan
maritimes
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Simply wonderful”
Reviewed 11 January 2014

I read the negative review below and couldn't help but comment on the wonderful experience I had at the Kushi Institute. I am planning to return this spring with my children for the first time. My mother and I volunteered and just ate the food and enjoyed the scenery while weeding the garden and doing office work. The accommodations are very basic and monastic but affordable even if you just want the package where you get a room and thee meals. The price for this package is far less per night than the cost of just a room at any of the nearby B&Bs or Inns.

The macrobiotic diet isn't easy but it has saved the lives of many people with cancer. A family member with advanced prostate cancer went to the Kushi Institute for three weeks and ate the "healing diet" which is very strict. When he returned home and had a check-up by his oncologist, his prostate cancer was essentially gone according to his doctor. His wife, who stayed with him at Kushi for that here three week period came back having lost weight, gained energy and muscle from daily walks and yoga and looked like she had a natural face lift. The macrobiotic diet is very hard to maintain but I took away a couple of simple dishes from my previous visits that were easy to incorporate into a more "normal" diet of clean foods. The barley tea, whole oats, miso soups and daikon radish on salads are all things I learned to make form attending the Kushi Institute and they have been in my cooking repertoire for about 15 years, if nothing else that alone is worth the visit to the Kushi institute.

Visited May 2013
14 Thank happytraveller333
Shelburne Falls
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Some lovely people but quackery and malnourishment.”
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Go to Kripalu or Omega or the Natural Gourmet school in New York. I've known about the KI, volunteered and worked there for several years and it has severely gone downhill. The facilities are bad, the food is worse, and the training - you're better off not taking it. Study cooking with your grandmother. Learn to meditate with a reputable organization like the Barre Center for Buddhist Studies - the best this place does is borrow from people who know, and at worst from other charlatans. I saw people have mental breaks, heard about people binging, became ill myself, and learned of severe alcoholism, infidelity, chain smoking, and malnutrition amongst the teachers. There are wonderful people here but your own being has all the wisdom you need and there are far, far better places to learn. You're better off at home watching youtube. Check out Yo San University or Tai Sophia if you want to learn about traditional Chinese medicine. Macrobiotics is an appropriation of it at best and Georges Ohsawa (one of its first proponents) used to beat his wife. I've seen people become joyless and starve and am so happy to have found real wisdom and good nourishment of all kinds elsewhere.

Visited August 2012
26 Thank Katherine P
London, United Kingdom
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“wonderful,amazing food & company”
Reviewed 4 January 2013

The kushi institute has real `heart, high quality, no compromise macrobiotic food for healing...set up as charity to promote peace & health on the planet was Avelines Kushis vision. I went on the way to health plus in feb 2012 and then returned to study the levels...3 months on wonderful company and food....studied hard & miss it lots....returned for 8days in october for a stay ....wish i lived nearer..........If you want to improve your life and health this is the place, first class lectures & teachers.....need i say more???

Visited October 2012