“GINGER!?!JAPANESE!?!”

Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
toronto
“GINGER!?!JAPANESE!?!”
Reviewed 29 December 2013

I should have known better than to go to a japanese restaurant with the name of 'ginger', after all, I had lived in Tokyo, Japan for 5 'superashi'years¥¥¥¥¥! The restaurant was full and the service was good, unfortunately the food went rapidly downhill; the RICE, foundation of all sushi and maki was undercooked with no seasoning; sushi were edible but blend;maki were ridiculously large and misshapened; the only saving grace were the sashimi. But alas, this is BOSTON! How could one go terribly wrong with Boston's finest offerings, FISHES & SEAFOODS??? Lesson learnt, do not eat in non japonica restaurants! SAYONNARA! ¥¥¥¥¥¥¥!

• Visited December 2013

St. Augustine, Florida
“Enjoyed the bento box for lunch!”
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Good location with ample street parking. Newly re-opened. Relaxing atmosphere. Nice décor and comfy seating. Mid-priced range to upper-priced value for lunch; more expensive for dinner selection. Had 2 varieties of bento box: Good quality meal; presentation looked good; sushi seemed fresh but cut smaller than average. Quantity is sufficient (although skimpy on rice); portions are on the small scale.... You will leave satisfied but not fully stuffed. We had exemplary service and attentive waitress but she took a break amidst our meal. The table next to us was served by a snotty waitress (caught our attention) that needs attitude adjustment or needs to get retrained with customer service. No matter, we will return and try another dish next time we are in the area.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank minniemae
Wisconsin
“Waitress Attitude Needs Improvement”
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Restaurant was clean, food was good, however our waitress was not very friendly nor good. When my husband ordered Teriyaki Shrimp and it came doused with sesame seeds, it wasn't anything he could eat since he can't have seeds for medical reasons. When we asked the waitress if she could make one without seeds, she brought a new one without then quickly told us in a snotty manner that we should have ordered without to begin with. Nothing on their menu said it came covered with sesame seeds so it wasn't my husband's fault. Then when she was cleaning up after us (a party of four who spent quite a lot for the meal), she spilled the leftover soup on my husband's coat. She offered to help clean it with wet napkins, however, there was no offer to pay for the dry cleaning. Needless to say, we won't be going back there. The waitress' attitude needs a lot of improvement and we can find other Japanese restaurants with better treatment. The only reason I gave this restaurant an "average" rating is because the food was alright.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Connie J
Boston
“Reopened and better than ever”
Reviewed 14 May 2013

It's been what, 2 years since Ginger was last open.
Well it's back and better than ever.
I recently went there for lunch and found the new building to be 2-3 times larger than before and the food especially the sushi is as good as ever.

Service as always is top notch.

If you'd given up waiting for Ginger, forget it and just go. If you've never been or you're looking for a great Japanese restaurant , go to Ginger.

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank fishonBoston
Boston, Massachusetts
“So glad they have reopened!”
Reviewed 23 April 2013

Thank goodness the construction is over. Very happy to be back at Ginger. The larger size and new decor is very impressive and elegant, yet still very friendly. Had three sushi chefs cranking out their delicious sushi menu. My daughter's sushi came quickly, so did my tempura. Unfortunately, the two teriyaki dinners for my son and husband came 20 minutes (no joke) after ours did. My daughter and I were done with our dinners, which they watched us eat, and then we got to watch them eat. Not how we planned our night out. Not sure what happened in the back kitchen, but they need to fix that. So, while ALL the food was DELICIOUS, I am only giving four stars because the kitchen service was not good. Kind of took away from the whole thrill of being back at the place. But, I promise we will return.

• Visited April 2013