“Meh”

Beverly Depot Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 132 Restaurants in Beverly
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Bar Scene, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Andover, Massachusetts, USA
“Meh”
Reviewed 29 July 2014 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

Mediocre food in a unique setting - old train station. Salad bar was fresh, but options limited. My wife had lamb chops - uninspired and lacking flavor. My crab-stuffed haddock had very little crab - only tasted the bread crumbs. Service was decent. Ambiance is noisy, as you would expect in big open depot room.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Olimpio D

Danvers, Massachusetts
“My Son's 18th Birthday”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Went last night to celebrate, his choice as I had suggested last year also. food as always was perfect, I will agree that the service was ok, had better had worse. but I will say it was a nice touch that the waiter brought out a brownie with whipped cream for my son after dinner... if you go on your birthday you get half off the lowest price entrée which is a good deal. we will go back again.

2 Thank Beth C
Revere, Massachusetts
“Good Food”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

The first & only place I found that has Beef Wellington. It's mainly a steak place but it does have other options & they are all good. There is a salad bar where you can slice your own bread & cheese. It's a renovated train station & the commuter rail still passes by.

1 Thank Globalrider73
Boston, MA
“Excellent Food, Great Location, TOTALLY Indifferent Service”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

I've reviewed "The Depot" before, and decided after several more meals with the same pattern (good food, almost awful service) I would make some suggestions for my fellow TripAdvisors.

First of all, the food. It is consistently very good to excellent. We very rarely have an issue there.

The price is... pricey. You are paying for a "dining experience" that used to be much more involved, but now is essentially managed by wait staff that float in and around your table, and a waiter or waitress who seems to be late for getting back to their crossword puzzles. For the price, almost insulting to have this kind of service.

The drinks are not that much to write home about. My wife ordered a common cocktail (like, it was invented in the late 19th century) that was prepared incorrectly, and it seemed to be a major deal to get the bar tender to add a missing ingredient.

For frequent diners, the "anybody celebrating a special occasion tonight?" is long gone. It went from a free meal and a cake with staff singing to your guest, to a free meal and a small cake and no singing, to a free meal, and now it's... nothing. At our dinner this evening my brother was celebrating a birthday, and the waitress knew... but again, nothing. So scratch this part of the "great place for a special occasion," too.

I have loved this restaurant for many, many years, largely because I really love the historic feel of this old train station. Back in the day, the manager used to go table to table to check on diners -- we weren't even sure if the manager was in the house. Sadly, after dinner tonight my wife looked at me and said, "Enough is enough... we'll go to the Hardcover or to Danversport Yacht Club from now on."

The Hardcover is located in Peabody on Rt. 1 Southbound. It is owned by the same people, has the same menu, but the waitstaff are much more friendly, and we think the portions are a bit larger. Same price.

I just don't get the reviews that tout the staff, as it's unusual that, over the years, as polite and well dressed diners... we have yet to see anybody get a level of service you would find in an even average fine restaurant. If you want someplace to celebrate a special occasion, the food will be good, but that's about it here... there just seems to be no focus on the waitstaff and on customer satisfaction. When you see more enthusiasm at an Applebee's or Friday's, you know there's a problem... I'd recommend you try another place and hope they FINALLY focus on fixing whatever is plaguing the service here.

2 Thank DieselDad
Kevin P, Manager at Beverly Depot Restaurant, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear, Diesel Dad

Please accept my sincere apologies for your unpleasant experience here at the Beverly Depot Restaurant.

When dining here you should expect excellent food, nice atmosphere, as well as attentive service, and that is what you should get. Unfortunately, I was not aware that you had experienced Indifferent service which is far from our normally high standard.

I would love to speak with you on this matter, if you could find the time to give me a call at 978 927 5402. and appreciate that you took the time to let me know so that I can make sure that this doesn’t happen again. I hope that this experience will not keep you from coming back.

Please feel free to ask for me at anytime by name if you ever need anythinghere at the Depot.
Kevein Pence
Cedar Falls, Iowa
“wonderful place by train station”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I have eaten here many times over the years.When back in Mass for a visit I am always sure to hit the Depot restaurant. Great food . Good portion. Wonderful salad bar included in your meal. The cheese is out of this world to. It is a little pricy but f or a nice meal out well worth every cent you will not be disappointed

• Visited March 2014