“Starbucks should be jealous”
Review of Gusto Cafe

Gusto Cafe
Ranked #22 of 134 Restaurants in Beverly
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I don't drink coffee - but still was highly impresses by Gusto. The broad range of drink and food choices, fine service, and appealing ambience add up to make Gusto an attractive destination. I particularly enjoyed the explanations on the menu. A terrific independent Cafe

1  Thank tnsc
There are newer reviews for Gusto Cafe

Reviewed 21 May 2014

In this world of over priced milk laden cappuccinos I found a place that feels like Italy. Gusto is my go to place for a perfectly balanced cup of coffee!

1  Thank GinaMDF
Reviewed 27 February 2014

You're really in luck if you're looking for decent coffee in downtown Beverly, MA. Both Gusto Cafe and Atomic Cafe have competent baristas (you'll get art on your foam) and very good brewed coffee. The reason I prefer Gusto (as a weekly-or -more-often regular) is the more refined atmosphere and the quality of the brewed coffees on offer.

Gusto is only a year old (or so), and both the equipment and decor are very spiffy because of it. Atomic has been around Beverly longer than I've lived nearby, and it's vibe is funky-re-vamped-diner. Gusto serves Stumptown coffee. Atomic roasts their own beans.

There are usually 2 - 3 brewed coffees on offer at Gusto, and they're served from behind the counter out of the big stainless dispensing units like you might see at Starbucks. Temperature and quality of the brewed coffee has always been very good. (Atomic uses self-serve airpots for drip coffee, has more variety at any given time, but the temps/quality in this setup usually disappoint me.)

Atomic has been very popular for a long time, and it deserves to be, but it can be hard to find a table (or even one of the barstools.) It tends to be on the noisy side, partly due to the crowds. Old vinyl booths are funky, but cracked. By comparison, Gusto tends to have more empty seats, and the high ceilings make it feel less crowded even when it is busy. Gusto has a much nicer restroom.

Gusto's owner is a stylish European lady. Atomic's staff look like students from the neighboring art college. Both are about equally friendly, and I get good coffee details from either.

If I'm meeting a friend in downtown Beverly, I won't say no if they suggest Atomic, but my choice is always Gusto Cafe. For me, a lot of that boils down to noise level as I prefer quiet. If I want drip coffee, I go to Gusto, but I think Atomic makes a better caffe mocha; it's a tie for caffe latte!

1  Thank Mommywillo
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Just an awesome place for all you beverage needs. I want this place to take down atomic!! The Greek lady who runs the place is just the sweetest you'll ever meet. It is an all around great atmosphere.

1  Thank MoonMate
Reviewed 20 July 2013 via mobile

Great Smoothies, try Green Apple and Strawberry. Wonderful service, air conditioned and good music. What more could you want

1  Thank Yvonne H

Been to Gusto Cafe? Share your experiences!