“Ok, but a bit disappointing” 3 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Asian, Chinese, Vietnamese
Dining options: Dinner
Dining options: Dinner
Beverly, Massachusetts
“Ok, but a bit disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

Christmas eve, my wife and our kids (23 & 26) were looking for a place that was open and we decided to try the Green Papaya. This location has been many different restaurants in the past few years, but has recently open with this name. It serves Chinese and Vietnamese food. The work they have done on the inside and out has really made the spot look more appealing. They now have a full bar, with draft beer specials and two good sized tv's to watch the games. We ordered a round of drinks (MaiTai's, Zombies, Scorpion Bowl, etc) which the bartender needed to look up to see how to make them. That seemed kind of odd, since these are pretty much staples in this type of restaurant. My drink had to be sent back because it was missing one of the mixers. We then ordered a few appetizers, Vietnamese soup bowl, and a few combination meals. The food was pretty good, tasted fresh, and was presented well. My favorite, was the Kung Pao Shrimp, which was very flavorful. The rest of the group rated their meals average. Unfortunately, with all the competition in the area, they need to step it up just a notch. Usually nights like Christmas Eve, Day and New Years, restaurants that are open are very busy. The fact that they were not, while others in the area were, shows that they need to make more of an impression on diners. I wanted to walk out with more of a wow, because it's very convenient and I like that style of food. We will give them another try. I hope them the best in 2014!

• Visited December 2013