“TAKE OUT DISHES NEED WORK”
Review of Sichuan Gourmet

Sichuan Gourmet
Ranked #3 of 57 Restaurants in Billerica
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly
Bedford, New Hampshire
“TAKE OUT DISHES NEED WORK”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

I have eaten their food four times...two eat in and two take out. The two eat in meals were excellent. The take out meals not as much: small portions and not as well prepared. Unfortunately the restaurant is very small and crowded and noisy, so it is hard to decide which to do.

• Visited July 2014

Ashburn, Virginia
“Good Food, Bad Attitude”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Perhaps I've been spoiled by my own little local Chinese restaurant, but I'm still a bit taken aback by the rather negative attitude some of these places take toward their customers.

In Billerica (I've learned the 'e' is silent) for business, I found that Sichuan Gourmet ranked #1 out of 49 local eateries. I didn't have to have my arm twisted to want to give it a try. I had worked late, so I was ready for dinner. Arriving just a couple of minutes before 9:00 pm, I checked the sign on the door, which stated their hours were open until 9:30. Upon entering, the hostess nearly oozed contempt and immediately informed me, "we close at 9:30." I assured her that I would be done in plenty of time, and was taken to a table and handed a menu. Quickly, I ordered. The waitress suggested I change my order to a more popular one, and I'm no fool, so I did: Twice cooked bacon with peppers.

My Hot and Sour soup came very quickly. A dark broth, which I consumed quickly. Good, but not extraordinary (my favorite local spot isn't in danger of losing its #1 rank in my opinion). I had not finished my soup when my entree arrived.

The food was quite good, and since this is what one comes for, I give it high marks.

Not a minute later, the waitress came by to inform me that the kitchen was closed (in other words, don't think about ordering anything else).

I finished my meal and asked for the check. I paid in cash and walked out of the restaurant at 9:20 pm -- a full ten minutes before closing time!

So, while the food was tasty, my enjoyment of it was dampened by the pressure I felt and the sense of being unwelcome. Minus one star.

Minus another star for the decor and ambience. Hey, if you're going to cop an attitude, you should at least present yourself of being a little more classy that a Spartan (is there a Chinese equivalent to Spartan? Maybe "pedestrian?") eatery in a small strip mall in a small town in Massachusetts.

I might be tempted to go back for the food. But thankfully, I'm only passing through, and there are plenty of quality Chinese restaurants from which to choose. Billerica, you're welcome to it.

• Visited June 2014
Boston
“Great authentic Chinese meal...SPICY!”
Reviewed 23 May 2014

The restaurant was completely packed and there was not a single vacant seat. The clientele was mostly Chinese and Indian guests along with a couple tables Jewish families we previously met outside.

We started off our meal with the staple Sichuan wontons with spicy chili sauce. They are soooooo good. The wrap is not too thick and is perfect with the hot chili garlic oil.

In additional to the heavenly wontons, we got Dan Dan noodles. The cold vermicelli noodles sit on a sauce in additional to being topped with a ground chili mixture, sesame seeds and scallions. We mixed up the noodles with the sauces and toppings before we dug in.

For our soup dish, I wanted to try something new and ordered one of their original creation dishes, Meat Ball Sichuan Style. The dish was served in a traditional clay pot. There were large pork meat balls, mushroom and vegetables. The meat balls reminded me of a popular Cambodian stuffed bitter melon soup that my mom makes. It was good but I needed my fish sauce with fresh sliced Thai chilies to take it up a notch.

The noodle dish was pretty much the only thing the kiddos can eat.

My absolute favorite dish is another one of Sichuan Gourmet's House special authentic creations, the Xiang La Fish Fillet. The battered white fish is served in a metal pan with a a smoky chili pepper crust.

I'm a little embarrassed to say that we had not one but TWO orders of the Sichuan double cooked bacon. I mean come one now, who doesn't love bacon??!!?? I believe the bacon was steamed then tossed in a Sicilian chili sauce. It was definitely guilty pleasure. This dish sparked me to ask my fellow friends how much weight we've all gained in the past year. LOL.

I read reviews that the Kung Pao chicken was really good so we ordered a Kung Pao beef. The beef was tender and the peanuts and sauce was a great marriage.

The meal was delicious and CHEAP! For 8 adults and 2 kids with a couple glasses of beer and wine, it came to $ 160.00 with tax and 20% tip. That's only $20.00 per person! Sweet deal!

Murrells Inlet, South Carolina
“Good Sichuan & Chinese Food; Very Good Service”
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Nice sit down casual Sichuan restaurant with ample choices of both fiery sichuan and regular chinese cuisines. The service was great; they start taking care of you as soon as you walk in the door. You will get your drinks and some spiced/pickled veggies to start. I had the hot n sour soup as well as the sesame chicken - both were very good. Next visit will be something with a little more heat. This is a great choice when you are on business and have time constraints as well.

“No 1...all the way”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

If you want great food but are ok with a simple down to earth ambience this is the place. Everything is good so go with the house recommendations. Portions are generous so be careful while ordering. The cheque will leave you with a big broad smile and wanting to come again...and again!