The International
QualityInn
US$165
US$144
BestWestern.com
Courtyard Boston Marlborough(Marlborough)(Great Value!)
US$176
US$138
US$151
US$184
US$179
  • Breakfast included
US$155
All reviewscontinental breakfastroom was cleanlodgemadresserconference
Reviewed 6 February 2013

I was extremely impressed with the stay. Nice comfortable rooms, great staff and dining and skiing was just a few minutes away.

One thing I will say, is that I wish the front desk had a few more "toiletry items", as I forgot my toothpaste and had to head out, but not a huge deal. I would absolutely stay there again. A+

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 December 2012

If you love golf and you love to dine, The International offers the best golf and dining (featuring Chef Joseph Brenner) in this area and there is nothing West of Boston in MA that compares. If you are going just for the rooms and other ammenities a spa etc. This is not the place. There really is no spa or no pool. If you are going to golf, eat and drink then five stars. Rooms are nice have big screen TVs and very cozy beds. Bathrooms need updating. If you are coming with a spouse who is golfing and you are not, there is lots to do in the area!! Farm stands galore, Museum of Russian Icons and a lovely spa right in town along with the Nashoba Valley Winery.
So it really depends what you expect when you get there!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 December 2012

Stayed here on a business trip in 2008. The restaurant was lovely, the food very good, although the menu had no prices in it, and I would have been uncomfortable ordering there if my employer was not paying. The front desk had no complementary toiletries, I mean, NONE, not even a cheap plastic razor. None of that, however, compared to the disgust and horror I felt when I woke up the next morning, flipped up the covers on the bed and found that all the top sheet was covered with a large amount of someone else's dried blood--UGH. It was obviously laundered over, but it was definitely there. How unbelievably cheap do you have to be not to get rid of a disgusting blood-spattered sheet? Awful.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
7  Thank wearytraveler78
IGCMangement, General Manager at The International, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Thank you for the compliment on the food, our new menu now has pricing on it. We apologize that you didn't have a great experience in The Lodge, please come back and give us a chance to make it up to you,

Management

Reviewed 28 October 2012

Similar to other posts here, we were disappointed upon arrival. As a matter of fact, my husband didn't want to take the luggage out of our car because, as he said "There's no way this can be the actual hotel..." Unfortunately, it was.

No one was there to help with our luggage - or even offered to help. The bathroom hasn't been updated in decades, and there was no trash can in the bathroom, nor a hair dryer or shower cap, for that matter. We had a large room with a comfortable bed, but aside from a lounge chair and desk, the room had no other furnishings. (The TV didn't even work.)

The golf course was nice (though the staff there wasn't particularly helpful or friendly), but we were overall very disappointed in our experience at The International and will not return.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cw529

We apologize that you had such a poor experience. We've made many changes in The Lodge over the last year, and we are sure you would have a much better time on your next visit.

Management

Reviewed 15 October 2012

Location: Great if you're golfing, in the sticks if you're not.

Amenities: I'm not generally picky about decor, but the inside of this joint looks like the set for a student film sequel to The Shining. There's nothing grand or upscale about it; it just looks like a run-down 1970's ski chalet. The hallways are narrow and maze-like. The place seems to be trying for a sort of "Alpine" theme (fitting for something called "the lodge"), but it manages only to look tired. The common area features a truly bizarre decoration which can best be described as "dead bamboo sticking out of a stone casket at odd angles such that giant pigeons might be discouraged from nesting thereupon."

Now that I'm done stomping all over their decorator - the water ran hot, the fitness equipment worked, and the toiletries provided were decent. There were not enough plugs in the meeting room, and the manager had to come around with surge protectors for each of our tables (note: there were only 20 of us in the meeting). I'm sure one outlet per table was sufficient in 1975, when you only needed one plug for the secretary's typewriter and another for the slide projector; however, in the brave new world of 2012 we really should try to accomodate more than two electronic devices per table. The food we were served was consistently good, particularly the fare at the "fireplace room" (clubhouse).

Service: I received cheerful and effective service from the desk staff and from the bartenders. The staff never seemed overwhelmed; remembering our names and exchanging friendly banter throughout both evenings we were there.

Overall: This review has a very negative tone, but really the place wasn't that bad. It was clean, convenient to golf (it's on the course), and the atrocious interior design disappears when you turn off the lights to go to sleep. My co-workers compared it to lodges in the Poconos...liveable, but certainly not ideal. If you're golfing, and someone else is paying, why not? Otherwise, I'm sure there's a Courtyard or a Hampton nearby which will provide you a more pleasant experience for half the cost.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business