“Condo style lodging near golf course”

The Villages at Ocean Edge Resort & Golf Club
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Brewster
Hartford, Connecticut
“Condo style lodging near golf course”
Reviewed 25 September 2013

We stayed in the condos, Britterige Villas, a 1 BR 1 Bath condo. The bedroom was nicely furnished. We were 3 people all together so we had to also use the murphy bed that pulls down in the living room. A little weird, but okay really. The unit is certainly large enough and has a full kitchen. It's decorated nicely enough but has a bit of a sterile feel and we like more of a Cape cottage feel when we go to the Cape. The property sits on both sides of route 6A in Brewster. The side with the mansion has the beach and tennis courts, restaurants, and one of the indoor pools. The other side has the villas and golf course. You end up driving to other side because it's not exactly a convenient or scenic walk. The villas side also has an indoor pool which you end up driving to unless you have a bike or really like walking. The golf course area has lots of privately owned condos that you can rent....see listings on Homeaway or vrbo for info. If I stayed here again I would request lodging on the upper level because our unit seemed pretty dark and didn't really look out onto anything except small woods, so there was no hanging out on the patio and taking in the view. These villas are cost effective when you are more than 2 people but there's not much for kids to do right outside of your unit without supervision. The private condo rentals look out onto the golf course and seem brighter overall. The indoor pools are large and a bit dated but kids don't seem to care about that (the one we stayed in by the mansion was particularly over chlorinated at the time, not sure if that's still the case). Great places to eat nearby include the Brewster Fish House just a couple of minutes away on Route 6A. Ocean Edge is located in one of the best areas of the cape, Brewster, a quaint little village on 6A. Don't miss a stroll to the Brewster General store for that olde tyme feel and souvenirs to bring home...and the newspaper! Basically this is a good place to stay if you plan on getting out during the day and doing things around the cape. There are long paved paths for walking and bicycling, but the scenery is basically condos and golf courses. You can access the Cape Cod Rail Trail very close by at Nickerson State Park (plenty of free parking), also on 6A. Ocean Edge has their own private beach on the bay...quiet, decent size. See other reviews for their mansion accommodations.

Room Tip: Choose an upper level room. Lower level is darker. The villages is on the opposite side of the road...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank StandByTraveling
BryanWebb, Director of Sales at The Villages at Ocean Edge Resort & Golf Club, responded to this review, 27 September 2013
Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay at the Villages at Ocean Edge. I am sorry you were not entirely pleased with your accommodations at The Villages. I wish we had been notified during your stay and we would have certainly made an effort to move you to another villa. We sincerely want you to be satisfied with your accommodations during your stay.

We would like to clarify a couple of issues brought forward in your review. You mention the Mansion side as having the tennis courts and restaurants, but it sounds as though you were not aware that in addition to the Nicklaus Design golf course, The Villages also has tennis courts and a restaurant. The Linx is located on the golf course with indoor/outdoor dining overlooking the course. Inside The Linx is the Golf Pro Shop, and outside the Linx is a putting green, always popular with kids. Also on The Villages side, two outdoor and one indoor pool, a basketball court, a cardio room, the driving range, and the Fletcher Tennis complex with 5 tennis courts. This information should have been provided to you at check-in, and most certainly is reflected on the check-in key holder and map you would have received at check-in.

You mentioned that access to the Cape Cod Bike and Rail Trail was provided at Nickerson State Park. I am sorry you were not aware that just a stone’s throw from your front door at Britterige Village is the Ocean Edge entrance to the Bike Trail, which intersects our property! In addition to bike trail access, Britterige Village also has a bike shop for equipped with rentals, helmets and maps.

You mention the availability of private rentals. Ocean Edge Resort-owned villas and the private rentals were built by the same builder. They differ in layout, but are consistent in design and features with careful attention paid to vistas overlooking the golf course, ponds and woods where possible. You stayed in Britterige Village, but there are also two other villages; Arbor Village and Endicott/Edinborough Villages that have golf course views. Perhaps those are the villas you thought were privately owned? Both are owned by Ocean Edge Resort.

Ocean Edge Resort and Golf Club owns all resort amenities so you must be a guest of Ocean Edge or an Ocean Edge Club Member to use the amenities. Only Ocean Edge Club Members and Resort Guests booking through our reservations system have access to our private Nicklaus Design golf course, to our tennis complexes, on-property bike rentals, fitness classes, beach and golf and tennis lessons and programs. On season, only guests and members have access to the Ocean EdgeVenture kids program, daily kids activities, s’mores on the beach bonfires, and complimentary shuttle around the property. Renting accommodations at Ocean Edge through a real estate agency or from a private owner means you will have no resort privileges or access to the above mentioned facilities. Certain exceptions may be made for Ocean Edge homeowners who are also Ocean Edge Club Members.

It sounds as though you were not provided with enough information about what Britterige Village has to offer, and access and location on amenities available to you. Would you kindly contact us directly? We would like to hear more about your experience.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Beware Canadians! We called to book this resort for two nights. After taking my credit card number I proceeded to ask a little bit about some things available at the resort, the person taking my reservation proceeded to tell me I would NOT have access to those areas, so before taking my confirmation number I said we would then not want to stay there because those were the areas of the facility we wanted to use. So my credit card number was charged and then reversed, but because of the exchange that phone call cost me $30+. I'm not sure if credit cards are always charged before the confirmation number is given out, but if so, then so be it, lesson learned. I called the reservations manager and I asked if customers should not be told ahead of time what is NOT included. HE DISAGREED and said it is clear on the website. When I call in how do I know which area I am booking into and what that area does not include. And no I didn't have the web page open when I called in, I did it during much lunch break.....so I guess that's my fault hey?
I just know we could never get away with that attitude at our business.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank 192837

Travellers are raving about these Brewster hotels

Reviewed 11 September 2013

this past weekend I had my wedding at ocean edge resort... let me start by saying.. they lost 3 of my checks!!!.. the night of rehearsal my guests were told the wrong time to meet at the beach... the day of wedding guests were checking in and told the wrong time for the ceremony... when our, was time to eat my husband and I had to serve ourselves... not right at all... very unorganized establishment... instead of having 4-7 weddings on one day they should have 1-2.. they dont have right skills to handle more than 2 weddings... the food was great though...

• Stayed September 2013
6 Thank princess9713
Weston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 10 September 2013 via mobile

Stated there for 3 nights during Labor Day weekend. Stayed in the east wing by the water side ( not golf area) in a large suite. Room nicely decorated and recently renovated. King size bed, sofa bed. With room for a rollaway bed. Kids loved it and gad a blast. Huge sandy beach. Timed well for low tide around midday. Staff very nice and friendly. Young from all over eastern Europe.
Staff are not very knowledgeable about the area outside the hotel. We relied on online reviews of the area restaurants and things to do. Plenty of magazines, brochures, and guides all over the area.
Hotel concierge/ check in staff were somewhat more informed.
Restaurants are very good for breakfast buffet over the weekend. We had dinner at the main restaurant very good food, a little pricey but then again it's a resort. There is also a pub/ pizza place downstairs but the the wait was too long and prices where more in line.
There is an outside pool which the kids loved. Both areas by the beach and the pool serve snacks, beer, and some sandwiches and salads.
Nice and a great destination.

• Stayed September 2013
georgia
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I stayed at Ocean Edge with my family at the end of August and had a fantastic time. We stayed in a 3 bedroom villa in Endicott Village. It was incredibly spacious, well equipped and perfectly maintained. The resort itself is quite incredible. It is huge! There's something for everyone, golf, tennis, swimming pools, the beach, biking and more. The staff throughout the resort was also very friendly and helpful. We stayed for three nights and we all wished we could stay longer. I would definitely recommend Ocean Edge Resort and would love to come back soon!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank peachievickie
Weymouth, Massachusetts
Reviewed 7 September 2013

There's not enough time in the day or space on this post to explain how wonderful this place actually is! This was my families second summer down at Ocean Edge and I already can't wait for next year. From check in to check out everything was flawless! All staff were more than helpful, rooms were spotless, pools (all of them) were clean and refreshing, golf course was in incredible shape, private beach was amazing (water was close to 70 degrees in Aug, nothing short of bath water), kids have plenty to do, and the food was excellent - (Linx Restaurant) Off the resort plenty of places to shop and eat as well. I recommend JT's right across from the main entrance, amazing seafood!

I would recommend this resort over and over and over again. I have a 3 1/2 yr old and he absolutely loved it. Very kid friendly and kid proof. Quiet at night and plenty to do in and around the Brewster area!

I thank the staff for all there hard work, especially Sean Sullivan who was amazing to my family and I. Thank you and see you again next year!

-Kevin and Family

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank ksink81
London
Reviewed 6 September 2013

We stayed at the Ocean Edge Villages over the Labour day weekend - mostly so my husband could play tennis while I was swimming, If you haven't been the 'villages' covers a VAST area and you cannot get around it on foot ... so if you want to swim ... you take a car ... and get there to find the place caters 100% for families and 0% for anyone else ... Now I know we all have families but this is a place just for families. On the tennis front ... despite paying 5 star prices for the rooms [ a massive apartment, but it is so cheaply built you can hear everything your neigh bours are doing night and day] you have to pay for EVERYTHING on top .. so if you want to play tennis you have to pay to use the courts, pay for round robin tennis etc. All that said it is beautifully kept and I am sure with kids and a love of golf it would be perfect. For a couple seeking some R+R it isn't and wouldn't recommend it. lso we had dinner at the restaurant in the golf clib - the service was excellent but the food was very basic and again expensive - many better value, fresher and higher quality food options in the surrounding area.

Room Tip: if you are in the villages ask to stay on the top floor ... otherwise you will hear your neighbours...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank CarolinePLondon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brewster
The Mansion at Ocean Edge Resort & Golf Club
#5 of 21 in South Yarmouth
Surfside Hotel & Suites
Surfside Hotel & Suites
#4 of 15 in Provincetown

Been to The Villages at Ocean Edge Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!