“Family vacation with friends”

The Villages at Ocean Edge Resort & Golf Club
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Brewster
Reviewed 22 July 2014

My wife and our 2 sons spent 5 nights here. We travelled here with family friends from Boston, wanting to have a fun Cape visit. The Villages at Ocean Edge worked. The facilities were very good, especially the tennis and golf. Fun pool area at the Shark Bah. Staff were very pleasant and friendly.

We both had very nicely appointed one bedroom units. We requested (and received) adjoining units which was great.

We ate at the following Ocean Edge restaurants:
Linx was very convenient but the food was just okay.
Ocean Terrace has a great ambience, the food is very creative, maybe a bit too much but very good.
The best place was Bayzo's Pub. Very nice atmosphere and the menu was great for kids.The manager Steve was fantastic, as was the hostess Alex. Thank you Bayzo's.

Overall we had a nice time at the Villages.

My one area of complaint is you must pay for your entire stay 7 days in advance. As it turned out, our Boston friends had to leave one day early. Upon arrival, they informed the front desk that they would only be staying for 4 nights and not 5. The front desk person said we needed to talk to reservations. The reservations agent informed them of their 7 day policy and said that they could not do anything for them.

I felt quite bad for my friends, As I was the organizer of our little trip, I asked to speak to a manager (Sean) who said this is a very strict resort policy. Sean said he would contact reservations and copy me on an email, but not to expect anything. He confirmed my email address, but I never did receive an email from him or reservations.

I realize that many places on the Cape have this "must pay first" policy, but if you are trying to be a "high end resort" I believe you need to be a bit flexible on these things. No refund, no credit, no offer for a future visit. Disappointing.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the golf course.
2  Thank Hey_Big_D

Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

We had a lovely time recently at the Ocean Edge. We stayed in Arbor Village which I think was the most convenient as we were within walking distance of the pool, the Lynx Tavern and the golf club. A special mention and thank you to Adam on the front desk, Abi from Dublin, Sophia Bulgaria, Manager Brian and Bill who helped with our bags.

You all made our stay that much more personable. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 21 July 2014

The Ocean Edge Resort is well maintained, well staffed and offers numerous pools, restaurants/bars and other amenities. There is plenty to do for both adults and children, especially if there is bad weather. I strongly recommend this resort. It makes you feel like you are on a vacation.

1  Thank Mike K
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I read through the other reviews on this property and noticed that several people have commented on how much there is to do at the Villages at Ocean Edge Resort and Golf Club. I must acknowledge that this is true, however, you should know in advance that all of these "amenities" come with additional costs. It is made very clear that if you are a guest at the villages, you are NOT a guest at the Mansion at Ocean Edge and are therefore not entitled to truly use both resorts, despite the fact that they claim to allow you relatively free reign to use both properties. The best part about the hotel are the staff at the front desk, who were always helpful and very friendly. However, even they don't make up for the areas that this hotel is lacking.

Upon check-in we learned that we were not entitled to use the hotel beach because it was reserved for Mansion clientele only. I thought that was ridiculous. The resort does, however, provide a shuttle to a nearby beach, which I never made use of because the shuttle only runs at 9am and 11am to the beach and at 2pm and 3pm returning from the beach. The resort shuttle in general is not very convenient and oftentimes you must wait for a long time before one arrives. Usually, it is more convenient to walk, however, the resort is sprawling and sometimes this is not really possible (even for a young and fit 30 year old).

At check-in I was also told that there was a $25+tax nightly resort fee. When asked what this fee was for, I was told it covered amenities like towels (I thought that was standard for a hotel?) and access to all resort amenities. I was bothered by this, but accepted it. However, one day we were told that we could not play tennis at the court near our room because it was for members only. Another day we tried to play tennis at a different court at the mansion but were told it would cost $24 per hour. Finally, I learned of a "free" tennis court, but if you didn't have your own racquet, you needed to rent one for $8.50 per person and they could not be rented at the free tennis courts.What a circus! We flew in to Boston from Toronto and therefore did not have our tennis racquets with us. Nor did we have beach towels, so I was exasperated when I was told that we could not take towels from the pool to the beach, nor could we use the beach or its beach towels. We were forced to smuggle bath towels from our room to the public beaches and, quite frankly, felt ridiculous.

I tried to attend a morning yoga class but was told that it cost $25. Bike rentals are $35 on the resort (much cheaper off the resort).

In sum, you do not get much bang for you buck. The rooms are outdated (our screen was broken off and our kitchen sink was leaking; the repairman "fixed" it, but from then on the cold and hot water were reversed!). I understand that this is pretty standard for the Cape, so I won't hold it against the Villages at Ocean Edge. If you choose to book this hotel, just know what you are getting: a pretty outdated apartment-style hotel room (which certainly is convenient if you are a travelling family) on a resort that doesn't include any true "amenities." I'd say you're better off booking a local cottage-it would probably be cheaper and the hotel doesn't provide you with anything more than a place to hang your hat.

12  Thank Cacillas
BryanWebb, Resort Manager at The Villages at Ocean Edge Resort & Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Thank you for taking time to post your comments on TripAdvisor. I am sorry you were unhappy with your stay. Regarding the beach access issue, I can assure you we go to great lengths to make sure guests at The Villages understand this policy both on our website and over the phone through our reservations office. As an alternative, we offer beach passes for purchase at the Front Desk providing guests access to six local Brewster beaches and two ponds. As you point out, Villages guests can also take advantage of our beach shuttle directly to Crosby Landing beach, one of Brewster’s most beautiful bayside beach, or explore other Cape beaches and the nearby National Seashore.

We do not understand your claim that all amenities require additional costs and that amenities between the two areas are not shared. With the exception of beach access on the Mansion-side, guests staying at The Villages at Ocean Edge are entitled to use the exact same facilities that guests staying at The Mansion are entitled to, and most of these amenities are complimentary.

We do charge a fee of $15 to cover yoga on the beach. Ocean Edge does has a private club, and our Club Members have their own fitness facility. It sounds as though you may have tried to take a class at the Member Sports Club; in which case, there is a $25 fee to use that facility. This fee entitles you to a full day pass. The fitness facilities at The Mansion and Fletcher Village are complimentary to guests.

We charge a nightly resort fee of $25 per room in season, which is standard at luxury resort on Cape Cod and elsewhere. This resort fee includes our costs for providing internet and local phone calls, in-room coffee service and daily newspaper delivery. It also covers access to the following amenities; Thursday night family beach fires with s’mores, fitness facilities at Fletcher Village and The Mansion, all five pools, including two indoor pools, a shuttle that ferries to and from both sides of the resort day and night, and most of our daily children’s activities.

Like most resorts, we charge greens fees on our Nicklaus Design golf course, courts fees on the tennis courts, and bike rental fees for bikes. (The Villages at Ocean Edge is located located right on the Cape Cod Bike and Rail Trail.) We also charge reasonable rental fees for golf clubs and tennis racquets. These charges are what most guests expect at a full service resort.

We are sorry this comes as a surprise to you. Had you made your reservation online, this would be clear as you went through the booking process. This would have also been expressed by our Reservations Team had you contacted the hotel directly. Whether you booked with us on-line or by the phone, the resort fee would have been communicated as you completed the booking process.

I am sorry you were disappointed that you could not take beach towels from the pool to the beach. We simply would have no way of tracking those towels and making sure they were returned if we allowed them to leave the pool.

We sincerely appreciate the compliments on our Front Desk staff. We will be sure to pass this along to them.

Bryan Webb
Resort Manager
Ocean Edge Resort & Golf Club

Reviewed 16 July 2014

We recently rented a condo at Ocean's Edge and was happy with the beautiful accommodations. We had dinner 2 times at the LINX restaurant as the service was terrific due to our server Kelly Marie (Limerick). We asked for her directly the 2nd time we dined as she was so pleasant . We also had drinks at the mansion and again Sofia from Bulgaria took good care of us bringing us all warm blankets for the chilly Cape Cod evening! These foreign students are so poised and polite and are such an asset to the resort. Very nice to have met them all ! Lynda U Melrose MA

Room Tip: Try and rent a condo with pool passes.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 July 2014

A recent extended week-end stay at Ocean's Edge for business and pleasure turned out to more than satisfactory. The amenities for business were above average which matched the old-world charm of the board room decor. The staff was superb in their attitude, work ethic, and willingness to please - even if they lacked some experience and instinct from time to time.

The only thing that was a minor annoyance was the lack of consistent internet service in the Villages suites. Everyone in our party had service in one room, but not in all rooms of their suites. I couldn't communicate with the outside world from the formidable comfort of my bed.

Overall, the views were spectacular, the amenities clean, the staff well managed, and the drinks stiff. We will return.

Room Tip: Ask about internet coverage.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We had a family reunion in 10+ years, and this was an excellent place for all of us to get together. There is something to do for everyone - golf, tennis, walking, etc. The area was very peaceful. It also felt like home since there was everything - kitchen, laundry, etc. We ate at the Linx Tavern, and they made us feel at home there too. The manager was especially nice and she made my dad's birthday dinner special. The location was also nice. We could go to other places within a 30 minute drive. I would like to go there again someday.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brewster
The Mansion at Ocean Edge Resort & Golf Club
Bayside Resort Hotel
#2 of 20 in West Yarmouth
Hampton Inn and Suites Cape Cod - West Yarmouth
Crowne Pointe Historic Inn & Spa

Been to The Villages at Ocean Edge Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!