The Villages at Ocean Edge Resort & Golf Club
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Brewster
toronto, ON
“Just OK”
Reviewed 5 September 2007

Our family spent 5 nights at Ocean Edge Resort over Labour day weekend in a 1 BR Arbour Villa. Although we all enjoyed our mini vacation in cape cod, we would probably not return to Ocean Edge.
First the Pros:
Check in was fast and efficient.
Our villa was available for early check in at 2pm.
All the staff we encountered were pleasant and helpful.
Our villa had a few stains but was otherwise clean.
Housekeeping service was above average.
Chairs and towels available at beach.
The resort grounds are well maintained.
Brewster is a lovely area away from the touristy towns.
The Cons:
The building our unit was located (30) had a slightly musty smell and felt damp. The ground at the back of the unit slopes toward the small concerete deck and the area was always wet and received no sun. It was not a pleasant to sit outside.
There was a dehumidifier placed near the sliding door to our unit that did a very good job, but it was loud.
The bed was very uncomfortable.
The unit only had a bar type table with 2 chairs for dining.
The quality of the food was below average ( except for the clam chowder) and expensive.
The pool was very crowded and closed at 7pm.
The beach was OK, quite a hike to bathroom/ change facilities.
The golf course had only nine holes open during our stay and charged $125.00 for 18 holes. Seems expensive to play the same nine holes twice. We had to cancel a prebooked tee time due to rain and were unable to reschedule as they were completely booked for the rest of our stay.
Is it really necessary to charge $20.00 to play tennis when we are paying over $370.00 per night plus resort fees?
We don't like waiting around for shuttles, therefore there was alot of driving around the resort.

Ocean Edge is not a bad resort, but there must be better choices on Cape Cod.

Highly recommended while visiting Cape Cod: Dolphin Whale Watching excursion and Captains Golf Course.

4 Thank canucktravel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Polish first
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 5 September 2007

Booked a "villa" with full breakfast included via Travelocity. When arriving, the check in staff refused to acknowledge that breakfast was included. I had to dig out the printed confirmation to prove I was right. When seeing the confirmation, the check in staff very grudgingly gave me coupons for breakfast.

The "villa" proved to be the basement of some apartment building. We had to climb down several stairs with all our luggage. The rooms were dark, damp and DIRTY. Especially the bathroom which had spiders crawling in the bathtub.

The walls were incredibly thin and footsteps from the apartment above could constantly be heard.

The breakfast was served in a tiny room in the main building, over a mile from our "villa". It was always crowded and the food was luke-warm at best.

We tried two of the restaurants - the one at the golf club and the Reef café - both were horrendous. Bad service, bad food.

There was no "no service" or "don't disturb" sign to put on the door so we wrote one ourselves. Still, housekeeping knocked on our door before 9 am every day wanting to come in.

The private beach is very small and incredibly crowded.

If you aren't a family with kids, don't even think about going here. There are kids everywhere and this is definitely NOT the place, as we thought, to come and relax for a few days.

The problem is really that the place itself is so far away from what they claim on their web page. They use words like "luxurios" and "exclusive" while nothing could be further from the truth. I honestly think they use false advertisement when they say things like "immerse yourself in luxury", "timeless luxury", or "first-class service", none of which is true.

• Liked — There was nothing to like.
  • Disliked — The DIRT. I doubt the floors had been cleaned for years.
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank 08282013

Travellers are raving about these Brewster hotels

Boston
Reviewed 3 September 2007

We stayed in a very large and clean 1-bed villa in the arbor section - it had a full kitchen and a washer & dryer, which we did not use, as we were only there for one night. They have access to a lovely beach with beach great beach chairs and towels - they have several pools on premise as well as tennis courts and a newly renovated golf course...i think you are paying for all their amenities at the resort rather than the resort itself as it could use a little renovation for the rooms - as well as an improvement in their dining selection - we ate at the ocean grille one night and it was good but nothing spectacular - for the prices they charge it should be one of the better meals you have had and it wasn't - although the chilled lobster appetizer was excellent... all in all we would reccomend and if you have kids there seemed to be sooooo many around that its obviously a great place for families...

• Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
Massachusetts
Reviewed 27 August 2007

First, off I had to wait 15 minutes to check in with only one person in front of me. I was in a leg cast, and I was completely ignored. No one offered to take my bag. When I made my reservation I was told I was on the second floor, but my room was 112 with a "lovely" below the parking lot view. I would say I was on floor one. That's what I pressed on the elevator. Next, our room was never vacuumed and coffee, glasses, and amenities were not replenished. No mini-bar. The pool was so crowded that we never went, and the ocean was far away from all rooms in the mansion. With a broken foot, I never made it there either. The noise of people running up and down the halls on the second floor (remember I was told I was on the second floor) made it difficult to sleep and lastly, my sandwich, which I waited over 30 minutes for at The Grille had bacon that was hard as a rock. The only nice thing about the entire resort is the view from the mansion. Not one staff person was helpful either. I would never recommend this hotel and for $510 a night, I feel ripped off.

Stayed August 2007
4 Thank megann80
Gloucester, UK
Reviewed 24 August 2007

After a long drive from New York, the staff at the Ocean Edge Resort ere freindly and efficient and the one bedroom villa in Britteridge Village exceeded our expectations. It was clean, well equipped and spacious. The resort has many pools and resturants and the private beach with complimentary chairs, towels etc. was a bonus. Daily maid service and laundry facilities in the villa made this an ideal location for a family. We would return to The Ocean Edge Resort.

• Liked — Overall quality
  • Disliked — Relatively expensive
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank jdfre123
Dublin
Reviewed 20 August 2007

My family and I have just returned from a holiday at the Ocean Edge.
The location and facilities are good though you really have to take a shuttle bus to get anywhere as the resort is on 400 acres. Much of the accomodation is based on the opposite side of the road to the main hotel and beach.The buses certainly didn't come every 15-20 mins as promised.
Housekeeping left a lot to be desired. The villa wasn't vaccumed for almost one week until we requested same. Shampoo and toilet rolls were never replenished unless we left a note for the housekeeper. You don't expect this when paying over $400 per night

• Liked — nice pool
  • Disliked — poor cleanliness
2 Thank EmsmumDublin
Costa Rica
Reviewed 18 August 2007

Friend who lives nearby recommended OceanEdge...When I read the reviews though, I considered cancelling..which is why I decided to leave a review. This was a great place to stay. The service was absolutely 1st class every which way...we stayed in a three bedroom, three bath condo and it was clean and bright and the beach was just 1 minute away. It was great to have a private beach, a gym, a good restaurant all within a stones throw and to be able to order room service while having a fully stocked kitchen. When we realized the kitchen didn't have a frying pan, the hotel found one in their kitchen and brought it to us. I would definitely stay there again. Hotel is expensive, but worth it. Highly recommend if you want a quiet, relaxing vacation with the services of a good hotel. I'd like to go back every summer. One thing I would advise...don't stay at the golf course if you want to be near the beach...there are two parts to this hotel..and there is a shuttle that takes you from the condos at the golf course to the beach area...I would have found that a hassle...If you want the beach, stay at the condos right near the beach..There are two pools..one indoor and one indoor and a nice gym which was perfect for a "vacation" gym.

Stayed July 2007
2 Thank courage1960
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brewster
The Mansion at Ocean Edge Resort & Golf Club
#5 of 21 in South Yarmouth
Surfside Hotel & Suites
Surfside Hotel & Suites
#4 of 15 in Provincetown

Been to The Villages at Ocean Edge Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!