“The odor that never stops”
Review of Pepper House Inn

Ranked #9 of 10 Brewster B&B and Inns
Boston, Massachusetts
“The odor that never stops”
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Upon entering the inn, you are aware of an odor that permeates the house. It is not from food. That was replaced, however, by the musty smell in the bathroom of my room (I didn't see any mildew, however). I travel every few months, and don't remember an issue with odors in years in other places I've stayed. Perhaps the owner has become desensitized to them. But they are there.

Parts of the inn seem to be in need of repair or painting. And there is a step up in the room I stayed in which goes up to the anteroom where the bathroom is. I left the light on in the bathroom because of concerns on tripping on this in the middle of the night.

The last negative. There are little handwritten notecards in multiple places telling you about things you shouldn't do.

Positives. The breakfast was good, Debbie is friendly, and my mattress was comfortable.

Room Tip: Avoid the room with the step up to the bathroom!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank capetravelerAug2013
PepperHouseInn, Owner at Pepper House Inn, responded to this review, 11 August 2013
So sorry about that.
I believe we found and fixed the source of the odor. We had an exceptionally humid June & July. One of the big rugs got wet. We've got it all dried and aired out now. I've checked several times and can't smell anything - so I believe it is gone. Will keep an eye out & keep checking.

As for the bathroom - We've stripped the wallpaper off in all of the bathrooms and bleached and painted all of the bathrooms with mildew proof primer & bathroom paint. I have gotten great feedback from all of the guests on this except this one. Also we remove all of the wet towels each day just to avoid any wetness or mildew in the rooms. There is no mold. The bathrooms are completely cleaned every day, so there should not be any mildew. We also have the A/C running in all of the rooms in the summer to remove any moisture from the air. Sometimes the guests turn them off. We regularly check the filters & clean them too. We will keep tuned in to this and watch this closely. I wish this guest had said something about the bathroom - I probably could have fixed this with a little damp rid or even opening up the shade on the window & letting the sun shine in.

Regards,
Pepper House Inn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Hicksville, New York
Reviewed 7 August 2013

Without getting into ALL the details of why I was left crying on the bathroom floor in disgust after being treated poorly by the innkeeper I will make this brief by saying don't stay here under any circumstance.
I have a medical condition and needed to have a bathroom in my room. Trip Advisor booked me a room that said "deluxe queen room with bathroom in room". My boyfriend called to make sure the reservation was ok and Debbie told him that she "upgraded" us to the suite because that room was taken. He asked if it still had a bathroom in the room and she said yes. He also asked if we could cancel since it was not the room we requested and she said no with no refunds. So we decided to go. (we only booked the room a day before we came keep in mind so it wouldn't have even been 24hrs since we booked that we would have cancelled)
We get there and the whole house smells of must and mothballs. Debbie was curt and unfriendly. When she showed us to the "suite" it was a small room with peaked ceilings and 3 or 4 beds in it. The worst part was the bathroom was not in the room but in an adjoining room (still private but had to go through another door into another room. ) I came downstairs and showed her that it was not what I had booked and I have a medical condition where I need the bathroom right in the room. I knew she had an empty room downstairs with a bathroom in it. I had to BEG her to stay in that room for the night. She explained she didn't want to have to change the sheets again for the next guest. The room we stayed in wasn't terrible but still smelled of must and the sheets were damp. I slept in a sweatshirt and long pants in the middle of summer to avoid being wet. The next morning I told her I cannot stay in the "suite" because of my medical condition and that the suite is not what I booked. If she wanted to keep me in the room I was in I would have stayed (though I would have been miserable).
She flipped out and yelled. I told her she bait and switched me and that NO ONE especially someone who is in the HOSPITALITY industry was going to speak to me like that. We immediately packed our bags and left.
I have read so many reviews on here where she did the same thing. Where you book one room online and then she puts you in the "suite". Please please please don't be like me and think "How bad could this place be?". ITS BAD! Read the other reviews and you will see she pulls this stuff all the time. Then she responds and tries to DEFEND herself rather than apologizing. If you want to enjoy your stay at the cape, Go to provincetown and stay at a b and b there. You will be much happier.
If Debbie can Check her attitude and clean herself and her place up a bit this place would not be so bad. She needs to makeover the place and modernize it a bit. She needs to visit an established professional b and b to see how to run one properly because this was a total freaking nightmare. All I can say is RUN!!!

Room Tip: There is no good room.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Angela R
PepperHouseInn, Owner at Pepper House Inn, responded to this review, 8 August 2013
This is a duplicate review. The next review is also from the same couple from Hicksville - Long Island, NY.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 29 May 2013

We spent a long weekend, the first night in Boston and two on the Cape at Pepper House Inn. This was our first trip to the Cape and Debby was a great resource, pointing us to local spots of interest. The Inn is a darling 200 year old home that has indoor plumbing, electricity, cable and Wi-fi! It is charming and clean, I recommend staying there if you are looking for something unique. The owner is a great cook and made a beautiful breakfast for us each day.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mike C
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2013

We left this place as soon as we arrived, leaving our entire payment with the owner who wouldn't refund. We were greeted by the mother of the owner who was incredibly rude. She planned to leave us there alone for the night without any lock on the door. The place smelt of stale cooking and was tired and shabby. We had to fight just to get out of the place while being shouted at by the mother of the owner. We emailed the owner the next day to ask for our money back but no chance. Please give this place a miss!!

Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Lili186361
PepperHouseInn, Owner at Pepper House Inn, responded to this review, 21 May 2013
This guest decided on the day of check-in that they would like to cancel their reservation. They wanted to stay at a much larger/busier property that they had seen on their drive before arriving at our inn. Per our cancellation policy full payment was due because cancellation occurred l4 days or less prior to check-in. The guest said that they were o.k. with this - then many months later this review appeared.
Williamsport, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 5 September 2012

My wife and I travelled to Cape Cod on our honeymoon and spent three nights at the Pepper House Inn. Having been our first trip to the Cape, Debby's knowledge of the area was a huge help in planning our days. The Inn is located a short walking (or driving if you must) distance from a nice beach on the bay. We stayed in the Cherry Room which was very clean with rustic charm. We really enjoyed the delicious breakfasts that were prepared each morning and especially enjoyed the cool Cape breeze through the dining room:)
Debby was very accommodating and pleasant during our stay. We hope to be back soon!!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brandon M
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 27 August 2012

Positives
Different kind of hotels, not the regular one as I know. Debby, the owner, was a good guide for the region. She gave us good advises to what to do during our stay. The location of the Inn was excellent, on the middle of everything we needed: beaches, museums, sight see and good places to eat.
Negatives
All of them are minors except the last one: Not a lot of varieties for the breakfast, specially if you will stay more than 3 days. We can understand that the house is old but this rooms need more maintenance; bathroom faucet leaks, spiders and their nets are around the fireplace and in the bathroom, vinyl floor has to be glued on the bathroom. and fridge ''option'' is very noisy. They put plastic sheet over the mattress and it's noisy and uncomfortable to sleep on, and they refuse to remove it!!!!
A bit of effort and every thing should be fine

Room Tip: Ask for the fridge if you want, for extra 10$/Day, specially if you have kids
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Pharos101
PepperHouseInn, Owner at Pepper House Inn, responded to this review, 28 August 2012
We went out of our way to switch this family to a room which could accomodate the 3 of them, rather than the room for 2 which they had originally booked - with their permission. The guest had not booked a room with a fridge, but the day before arrival emailed me & requested one. We went out and bought a brand new small fridge to accomodate this guest's request.
The bed the guest is referring to is the extra bed. The mattress pad will be replaced. That one
seems to have a kink in it. Unfortunately we do get an occasional spider. I will have my cleaning staff be more attentive to the area around the fireplace. At the beginning of the week of their stay I outlined the choices for breakfast. The guests seemed to each have their 2 favorite choices which they kept ordering. And they kept saying the breakfasts were yummy. I did offer
them yogurt which I also had, but they declined. We serve an American breakfast. This may be a case of a foreign diet & not used to American traditional breakfasts.
Reviewed 4 August 2012

This B&B certainly has room for improvement!(especially considering the prices).
The rooms are adequate in size, but linens are old & worn. The living room is dark, dirty and cluttered with magazines and flyers.
The breakfasts were lacking and very limited. Only eggs or French toast with no other choices and no minor modifications. The innkeeper would not accommodate any changes or tolerate any requests.
No niceties like tea, cookies or muffins.
A mini-refrigerator would be nice.

• Stayed July 2012
PepperHouseInn, Owner at Pepper House Inn, responded to this review, 6 August 2012
We do take our reviews seriously. and we do try to have a nice environment for our guests. Most of our rooms do have small fridges in them. It is only a $10 difference in price to have a room with a fridge and we always offer this option at the time of reservation. The Cherry room is our least expensive room and as such does not have a fridge.

We do offer tea at breakfast and have a nice selection of teas to choose from. We do always offer tea and coffee. We do not do afternoon tea & cookies - almost all of our guests are out during the day/afternoon enjoying the area.

Our towels are brand new. The 2 rooms without a fridge - Canopy Room was redone this spring and has all new comforters and curtains. The Cherry room got brand new comforters and curtains last year.

We offer a traditional American breakfast.. We have several different choices of items for omelettes made to order. We also offer eggs cooked pretty much any other way people want them, and a couple different choices of french toast. We provide fruit along with the entrees and also have yogurt &/or cold cereal available.

The Living Room is lit with an overhead light. There are also 4 table lamps and 2 floor lamps in the room that guests are welcome to use for reading or while sitting in the comfy couch & chairs.
Most of the time in the afternoon/early evening one of the table lamps is also on.
We do have magazines for guests to read and also some of the brochures & cape cod guides are in the living room. Most guests do appreciate being able to browse these items.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brewster
The Mansion at Ocean Edge Resort & Golf Club
Candleberry Inn on Cape Cod
The Old Manse Inn
The Old Manse Inn
#3 of 10 in Brewster

Been to Pepper House Inn? Share your experiences!