“Disappointing”

Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 22 November 2013 via mobile

We may have hit the restaurant on a down night, as we've heard great reviews, but right from the beginning, it was just a disappointment.
My salad was dripping with dressing; the sole was bland and was heavy and oily rather than lemony and buttery. It felt like it was "home-cooked" rather than fine French cuisine.
The service was no better- again, it very well could have been a down night- still, it was supposed to be a special night for us and for almost $200. For two, we were not treated specially. We were brought someone else's soup by mistake. We had to ask what the specials were. Our waitress asked if we'd like anything else before offering dessert, and never did offer coffee. It felt like she was in a hurry to leave, or maybe distracted. At any rate, it wasn't the special night we'd hoped for.

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank Whacktoria

Florida
“Simply the best -”
Reviewed 31 October 2013

- in dining and ambiance, The salad is amazing and the entrees served in a frying pan are delicious, Don't miss it if you're on the cape,

• Visited October 2013
Boston
“Great, simple, French cuisine.”
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Best sole meuniere I've ever had. Piping hot, incredibly tender and mild. My husband had steak au poivre with a calvados reductions (I think it was calvados) and said it was excellent too. Both meals were accompanied by roasted baby potatoes and haricot verts. Excellent bread. This is a small restaurant and we arrived at 6:45 and got the second last table. They do not take reservations. It is a husband and wife team and they appear to do one seating in the evening. Once the tables fill up, that's it for the night. The wife does all the table service. She is very busy but it was not slow service, but it was not quick either. It was a great meal, perfect for a relaxed romantic meal.

• Visited September 2013
Brewster, Massachusetts
“THe Best”
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Occasionally, I see a review of this restaurant that rates it as sub-par. This shocks me until I remember that some reviewers probably treasure velveteen portraits of girls with sad eyes in their rec rooms. I assume these folks give raves to McDonald's.

So let me set this matter straight. This restaurant is one of the best I have ever been in over the last 70 years, and I have had the good--and I am very grateful for it-- to eat in four and five stars in Paris and Lyons, and equally fine restaurants in Rome and New York.

The chef is an expert; he is careful and imaginative. The staff, mostly family, is sincerely friendly and charming. The atmosphere is just right for a country bistro. We have never had to wait more than 30 minutes, although I hope this review might change that.

My favorite is the Chef's Paté and the Duck, but everything is good. The Martinis tend to be watery if you order them straight-up, so Beware!

• Visited August 2013
Barnstable, MA
“Unpretentious bistro with awesome food.”
Reviewed 16 August 2013 via mobile

I've never seen so many divergent reviews of a restaurant. We decided we had to try it for ourselves and I'm glad we did. After reading some reviews I was half expecting to be waited on by nurse rachet or the soup nazi. The mother and daughter wait tables and do a great job. Service was efficient and friendly and the food was superb. It's not pretentious and not cheap, be prepared to drop $120 per couple plus tip. We started with excellent crisp warm goat cheese over mixed greens, and had seared scallops and grilled salmon entrees capped with an amazing banana foster flambé. Dinner is relaxed and leisurely, no one is pushing you out the door. We had a great experience and plan to go as often as financially possible. We took advice of another reviewer and got there a 5:30 when they opened..... There are only a dozen or so tables. Also, bring cash or an AMEX card.

• Visited August 2013