“Excellent experience”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner
Reviewed 29 August 2014

You would never expect this little gem tucked away as it is in a cottage off the beaten path in Brewster. We had read the reviews, heard about slow service due to a husband and wife doing it all. We went expecting that and were delighted to find that it was wonderful, the food, the chef - husband and bartender- waitress- hostess- wife. The bread was divine with garlic butter. My escargot delightful. My husband enjoyed his goat cheese salad. Our entrees, served in the pans they were cooked in, an organic breaded chicken and sole meuniere were delicious. We enjoyed a glass of champagne to start and a wonderful bottle of Groth Chardonnay with dinner. The cozy dining room was packed, yet somehow they managed to greet us, seat us, and attend to us with great service.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

First of all, the restaraunt is not known, to my knowkledge, as Peddlers Cafe and Grill. Peddlers is many things but a Cafe and Grill it is not. It is one of the finest Bistro's on the planet, in my humble opinion. The sign on Route 6A indicates a French Bistro on the street, the sign out front (not visible becasue of shrubs) says Peddlers,and teh pace itself is covered in vegetation. If you did not know it was there it would be very easy to miss.
Having said all of that, I am really torn as to writing a glowing review. The place is small, maybe 36 seats does not take resevations, is only open Thursday-Saturday in the summer and the wait can be long. I really do not want to encourage more people to go and possibly nmake my wait even longer, but frankly, this is one of teh few restaurants where I would woait for a table fo an hour or more. We waited only 10 minutes or so on this visit, though thr group of 5 behind us was waiting closer to an hour.
Alain, the chefis clearly a man who knows what he is doing. His wife is the server, and there was onlyone other employee visible. No fancy computers, just scribbled notes on paper, yet teh meals come out with impeccable timing, and are prepared with such care and, might I even say, love, that you feel as if the meal was made especially for you and that you are his personal guest for dinner. The menu is not extensive, with maybe 6-8 appetizers and entress on the chalkboards on one wall, but each is well crafted, most presented in saute pans, and taste like one would expect when a master craftsman such as Alain prepares a meal. They take only American Express or cash, but do not let that deter you. This is a place that I rank up ther with some of teh best meals I have ever had, including ones in Paris!. So please, go to Peddler's, go when you have the time to sit and relax and savor your meal. If you want a fast meal, go somewhere else, and please, stay away the weekend before Labor Day. That is when my wife and I go!

1  Thank William M
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Off the beaten path and not easy to find lies an authentic countryFrench bistro. As you enter a converted house covered in vines, you are quickly exposed to a room filled with plates, bottles, and a myriad of French items. The limited menu appears on a blackboard on a wall. We started with escargot- delicious. Fresh bread and a garlic, herb infused oil was very good. Wine selection small and expensive; cocktails available. My daughter and I ordered sole meunière , and the men ordered a chicken dish and beef bourguignon. We were all very satisfied with our meals. You need to know that the chef (Alan) is the owner, and his wife serves as bartender and waitress, so expect slow service. We dined on a Saturday, and since reservations are not accepted, we went at 5:30pm. The restaurant quickly filled, so keep this mind if planning to visit.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

Our family of four went to Peddler's based on the tripadvisor reviews and the menus posted on the restaurant's website. We generally like French cuisine and the atmosphere of a simple bistrot. We came very early to avoid waiting, and we felt lucky to get a table right away. People who came later were supposed to wait for quite a while. Tripadvisor is apparently a powerful tool...

"Eggplant" turned out to be a pile of pasta with four extremely thin, but generously breaded and fried circles of egg plant. Those fatty, covered in bread circles of former vegetable were topped with probably half a pound of cheese. The dish was pronounced unbeatable even by my cheese and pasta loving kids. One of them was struggling with his own pike of extremely fatty pasta carbonara, but managed to eat almost half. This was the success of the evening.
My husband who liked the atmosphere of this dark and shabby room kindly gave me half of his sole fish. He said that although it was soaked in butter and had no taste, it was better than trying to derive something from the so called egg plant. I gratefully accepted the donation and this piece of tasteless although FRESH sole took care of my dinner.
The meat part of boeuf bourguignon was OK, but for some reason served over half a pot of thick and hard pasta, quite an unusual idea...
The place is very dark, very. It is hard to see what one eats actually. I wonder if this is a coincidence. Everything looks shabby, crammed, and unkept rather than charmingly "atmospheric". Like visiting a very old single relative who simply has no energy to maintain the dwelling.
Positives: the bread was tasty, and the pressed garlic and herbs in olive oil do not allow me to say that no spices were used in our meals.
Would I recommend this place to a friend? No. But I could suggest to an enemy to check restaurant reviews on tripadvisor and to decide based on them.

4  Thank AnnaTCI
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We were referred to Peddler's by local residents 6 years ago and we have made it a point to return at least twice a season ever since. What a find! This lovely, shabby chic bistro is hidden on a dead end street behind the Brewster Bookstore and, despite their no reservations policy, we have always been lucky enough to score a table without a long wait. We are partial to the pate and warm crusted goat cheese on greens for appetizers and the sole meuniere, sea scallops & slow roasted duck for entrees, which are served in individual iron skillets with roasted potatoes and vegetables. Our daughter favors the pasta bolognese; who can blame her...it's delicious! The deserts are sublime. Dinner is not inexpensive and they only take cash or AMEX but the charming venue, the service and the lovingly prepared cuisine make it a rewarding and different Cape dining experience.

3  Thank therichfam