“Great but rushed”

Ranked #12 of 38 Restaurants in Brewster
Price range: US$50 - US$75
Cuisines: French, American
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Mountainside, New Jersey, United States
“Great but rushed”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

We came here at the last minute. Called ahead and they told us to come on down. The food was delicious but we were rushed to order our food because the kitchen was closing at 9 pm. Warm olives and yummy bread was given to us when we sat down. Angel hair with lobster, crab crepe, salmon dishes were all outstanding. Tuna dish was on the small side. Wine selection was very reasonably priced.
So overall, our party of 6 adults enjoyed our meals but wished we were given a heads up as to the time the kitchen closed.

Neenah, WI
“Delicious food and charming atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

We sat in the bar because it was crowded and the bartender had to double as our waitress. Service was just ok, but food was delicious and very creative. I had lobster crepes. Yum. This is a great spot.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Amy R
“Not worth it ...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

We should have heeded the other reviews regarding haphazard service and the 'not my problem' attitude of the female owner. However, many years of fond Chillingsworth memories caused us to throw caution to the wind.

While the food was good - it was not enough to overcome the 3 hours of less-than-average service the rest of the night. The front of the house was out of control compared to even an average restaurant and certainly not anywhere near what we would call 'fine dining'. What was worse, the saucy female owner (and I do mean sauced - the wine glass was never far from her hand) genuinely thought everything was fine - that all the problems noted in the many, many reviews here and during our visit were someone else's fault - bad website company, untrained staff, unrealistic customers - but never her fault. No ownership!

We arrived promptly at 7pm for the reservation we made online. Unfortunately, the hostess told us that no one at the restaurant was checking the online reservation system because it had been turned off. Uhh ... ok ... we had the confirmation email but understood that sometimes things happen.

No problems we were told ... we could eat in the Bistro. A few minutes later we were told there was no room in the Bistro so we would have to eat at the bar. Really? We could have gotten reservations somewhere else! Then, we were offered a table in the 'fine dining' restaurant - but it would have to be set. Why this was not offered the second the reservation mishap was discovered is beyond me - but no problems - things happen and they were making it right. We were sitting at 7:15. A drink order was taken by a hostess right after. The waiter came by to tell us about the specials at 7:20. The owner came by at 7:25 to make sure the waiter had been by. Great stuff right? Nope. I had to get up at 7:45 to ask if anyone was going to come back to actually take our order and to comment that if they were not capable of handling our table that we would rather leave than just get more upset. We were assured by the head waiter that there was no problem - everything would be fine. A few minutes later - our waiter returned to take our order. Lets call that 7:50. Our appetizers appeared at 8:20 - a full hour and 20 minutes from our arrival and literally as I was moving back my chair to get a check for the drinks to leave. From there, the good food started to arrive, ultimately taking 3 hours to eat overall. I say good because the food was good. The standouts were the lobster bisque, some of the sauces, and pretty much all of the desserts - hats off to the kitchen for those. Unfortunately, when I think about the 'Four Seasons / Thomas Henkleman' price tag, neither the food nor the service comes close on the value scale. This is why I gave a 1 star rating. Chillingsworth is just not worth it.

At least we got a memorable joke out of the experience! After an hour and 20 minutes when our appetizers finally came, the owner returned to ask how things were going. I told her that up to that point we were not happy with the experience. Without ever apologizing for the reservation mix-up or the delays - at all - the female owner told us that Ted Kennedy, Julia Child and Tip O'Neil all loved Chillingsworth (with the implication that we should too). Ha! I guess if we were all dead for a decade we probably would too;-) But, we are not dead yet and won't be coming back to this faint shadow of what once was a really great experience. Such a shame.

Visited August 2014
3 Thank KenSMartin
Hyannis, Massachusetts
“Go somewhere else..if you want good food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

I was invited by a friend and the service was rude. We waited forever for food that was heavy and bland. There are so many places on the Cape and I wouldnt waste my money on the owners who dont care about their customers! If I could rate it negative I would have!

• Visited July 2014
5 Thank leanne m
Massachusetts
“Great, but........”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

Went to Chillingsworth Bistro for my wife's birthday dinner. Food from salads to entrees was terrific. Waiter was not so great. Hate it when they address you as: "you guys" in a place like Chillingsworth. Waiter never mentioned specials so we didn't know there were any until we heard him offer the special to the adjacent table. Coffee was barely lukewarm and was spilled into the saucer, causing it to drip on you when lifting the cup. Asked for a hot coffee and that came on the saucer as well and was equally cool. No regular sugar was in the sugar container. Desserts were pretty bad. It was obvious that the wait staff was rushing and not paying attention to detail. We've been here several times and were disappointed by the things mentioned. Not a huge deal but not in keeping with what you expect at this restaurant.

• Visited July 2014