“Already planning our return!”

Captain Freeman Inn
Ranked #1 of 10 Brewster B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Maidstone, England, United Kingdom
“Already planning our return!”
Reviewed 17 December 2013

After a 3 week tour of the New England foliage this October, we decided to have a relaxing last 2 nights in Cape Cod. I really couldn't have picked a better B&B to top off our holiday! We were warmly greeted by the owner Byron's son (whose name escapes me, I'm afraid!), and shown to our rooms, which were beautifully decorated and furnished. There was coffee, teas, juices, home baked cookies all available for us to help ourselves in the lounge area, plus sherry and port! We were really made to feel at home.
After our first night, we were greeted by not only the most deliciously prepared breakfast I think I have ever had at a B&B, but also the friendliest dog – Harrison. He is such a cute, laid-back dog, and is most certainly not intrusive (so don't be concerned if you're not a dog-lover, although I think you may be converted when you meet Harrison!). The breakfast was freshly prepared by Donna, and was absolutely stunning. They do apparently run cookery courses, and judging by the breakfast, probably well worth booking one!
Two nights wasn't enough at The Captain Freeman Inn. We will almost certainly be returning in the future for a longer stay, and we may even try an additional couple of nights at the family's sister property 'The Brewster by the Sea Inn' which is just up the road.
After only 2 nights, we were bid a fond farewell by Byron and Donna which brought a tear to my eye, reminiscent of saying goodbye to close friends or family.
I really cannot recommend this bed and breakfast highly enough. One couple we met there, also from the UK, apparently have been coming every year for the past 12 years, I think they told us. I can see it becoming a tradition with us too!
Thank you Byron and Donna – we can't wait to come back! x

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Chatham, New Jersey
Reviewed 9 December 2013

We stayed this past weekend at the Captain Freeman Inn. It's located beside the Brewster General Store and the intersection of Routes 124 & 6A is perfect. The Inn has received MAJOR renovations for such a historically beautiful home making it exceptional. The amenities 24 by 7 are greater than experienced elsewhere. Our room was lovely and the warmth and service were exeptional. If you are thinking of a weekend in historic Brewster or a longer stay I highly recommend the Capt. Freeman Inn as my first choice.
And for the late spring, summer and early fall it's a pleasant walk down to the beach as well.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great ours faced 6A and was quiet.
Green Features: The staff is VERY environmentally focused matter of fact they have received "GreenLeaders Silver level" recognition.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
South of Boston, MA
Reviewed 3 December 2013

My husband and I just spent a delightful weekend at this superb B&B. The inn was immaculate and tastefully furnished. We stayed in the Wellfleet Room on the 3rd floor, which had a romantic gas fireplace and big, gorgeous bathroom with whirlpool tub and separate shower. The bedding was extremely comfortable, linens, towels and robes were top-quality, and toiletries by Gilchrest & Soames as well as local vendors were a nice touch.

The breakfasts were simply amazing: 3 courses, hearty and delicious. Sweets and liqueurs were available for afternoon and evening.

There’s nothing these conscientious innkeepers have forgotten – but rest assured, if you’re missing something, they will get it for you. They even put a Keurig coffee station in our 3rd-floor common area so we would not have to go two floors down for coffee and tea.

Donna made reservations at a busy local restaurant where we were treated like royalty.

Room tip: the third floor rooms have a steep climb common to old homes, which may be too much for some. And the church bells ring on the hour starting at 6AM (we felt that simply added to the charm). The Truro Room across the hall has all the same amenities and view with a larger bed and less awkward bath set up.

Be prepared to be pampered and comfortable. Totally recommend any time of year.

And be sure to have Harrison, the Inn’s adorable labradoodle, smile for his picture with you before you leave!

Room Tip: Peeked in the rooms on the 2nd floor with porches - what a lovely way to kick back and unwind with a...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank S&L_from_MA
Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 20 November 2013

We stayed at Captain Freeman during a long Fall weekend for a wedding. The accommodations were wonderful, and compared to the rates at nearby hotels, I would say the best room for the dollar on Cape Cod. The rooms are impeccably clean and well appointed, the staff very courteous and helpful. As if that weren't enough, let me just say that I would stay there again for the breakfasts alone!

Room Tip: I'm not helping anybody with this as I don't want you taking 'our' room. Sorry. :-)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2013

We had a fantastic night at the Captain Freeman Inn: we both wished we could have stayed much longer. Nathan, Donna, Byron and Harrison couldn't have been more friendly, the breakfast was scrumptious, the room opulent - we didn't want to leave! The location in "downtown" Brewster is perfect - just behind the General Store. We can't wait to return!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
York, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 31 October 2013

What a wonderful experience. My husband and I escaped to Cape Cod for a long weekend and were sorry to have to leave. What a beautiful Inn. There has not been a detail missed in giving their guests the finest experience imaginable, from the beautifully appointed guest rooms, to the fine linens. Did I mention the incredible breakfast? What a treat. All of this is done with warmth and hospitality. The only other thing I can say is Go, you have to experience it for yourselves. Wonderful.

Room Tip: Each room is completely different from the other. One more beautiful then the next.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 26 October 2013

I am a few years overdue for this review, but my husband and I had a lovely time at this charming residence. We were celebrating my husband's Harvard graduation for his Master's Degree, and sought a place for some R&R. We stayed in the P'town room which was so comfortable and spacious. It is easy to find yourself basking in the illuminating rays of sunshine that pour down from the skylight The property itself is not only beautiful with an alluring ambience, but also all of the innkeepers/ hosts were so friendly and kind. We savored all of the delicious treats, and were so touched by the inn accommodating our vegetarian diet. It was neat to have the option of early morning yoga, which we don't want to miss the next time we have the lucky chance of visiting the inn. I also want to highly praise one of the staff ( I forgot her name ) for handling an awkward situation for us. I was born in Texas, but my race is Asian Indian, and two other guests were making racist , rude remarks and laughing at us during breakfast. We departed the outdoor seating area, and went back into the dining area to eat after I explained to the staff member what happened. She was very loving , sympathetic, and kind . She wanted to alleviate the situation , but I told her not worry about it . She then was very attentive to us, and went out of her way for us during breakfast. I always remember this , as I was truly touched by her kindness. ( I feel bad I don't remember her name, but whoever you are - thank you ! ) The rest of the time, we had an amazing stay and enjoyed the historical quaint charm of this B&B.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brewster
The Mansion at Ocean Edge Resort & Golf Club
Brewster By The Sea
#5 of 10 in Brewster
The Villages at Ocean Edge Resort & Golf Club
Candleberry Inn on Cape Cod

Been to Captain Freeman Inn? Share your experiences!