“It's the best!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Arlington, Massachusetts, United States
“It's the best!”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

All I can do is echo the other kudos the Captain Freeman has received. It's simply the best stay I've ever had at a bed and breakfast. Everything we could want from an inn, it had. Our room, Wellfleet, was on the third floor of this recently renovated sea captains's home. It was tastefully decorated in a way that was comfortable and appealing. There was a gas fireplace with two leather chairs facing it. The bathroom had both a shower and a two-person jacuzzi tub. On the third floor landing outside our door was a sitting area with coffee and tea. A lavish breakfast was offered each day from 8-10 including a fresh fruit cup and an entree, either savory or sweet. Either way, it was enough food to get through most of the day! After a day exploring, we would return to home-baked treats in one of the downstairs rooms. Our hosts, Byron and Donna, were friendly and knowledgeable, helping us with reservations. The inn is a mile away from a long beach on the bay side. I would definitely book this inn the next time I stay on the cape. It has everything.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Wellfleet, on the third floor. Windows face on the street, across from a church. Be...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
West Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We are Cape vacationers for over 9 years. We have vacationed in Brewster just down the road on Tides Court and North Truro. We have admired the Inn on our walks to the Brewster store and this year for my birthday my husband booked the Inn.

We love the Cape off season, no traffic, crowds and it feels like the Cape is there just for you. Our stay at the Captain Freeman Inn April 4-6 was perfect, just us and another couple. The Inn was like home away from home.

Our room was the Truro Room, it was spacious but intimate and had a jacuzzi. The jacuzzi a nightly treat to sooth the legs from all our walking along with the spa robes and the various lotions, bath salts and Inn made lavender spray added to feeling pampered.

Byron, Donna and Harrison (the Inn dog) are wonderful Inn keepers. The gourmet 3 course breakfasts were delicious ( couldn't wait to see what was planned for the next day) and it was the fuel we needed to walk, walk and walk our weekend on the Cape. We had fabulous weather, sunny and brisk.

The Inn is nestled in the heart of Brewster that has old world charm (loved the story about Captain Freeman) and it offers modern conveniences (WiFi with flat screen TVs and Bose sound systems in every room) that satisfy the needs to relax and/or keep pace with the world if you choose or need to.

This weekend was also the NCAA Final Four games. Byron offered his office on the 1st floor for us to watch the UConn game with our son who lives just an hour away as we did not want to disturb the other couple that we were floor mates with as this was their getaway time too. Having the office to watch the game was awesome as we could express ourselves freely ( Go UConn!) as well as enjoying the Inn made cookies,brownies (made fresh daily) and the complimentary sherry and/or port wine.

We will return! As I do have a Birthday each year!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Concord, Massachusetts
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Captain Freeman Inn is unparalled in quality, attention to detail, cleanliness and service. Donna and Byron are gracious hosts and they made us feel like we were visiting old friends, instead of paying guests. From the delicious food to the exquisitely decorated interior, each room had it's own story and charm and everything was perfect. The house is simply beautiful and it has been restored to its original grandeur. Please, take the opportunity to stay if you are in the area and treat yourself! We are sure glad we celebrated our birthdays here. A family tradition has been started and we intend to come back every year and celebrate our birthdays and stay in the Wellfleet room.

Room Tip: All rooms are beautiful. It depends on your preference. If you still can't decide talk to Donna...
Green Features: They exceed environmentally friendly practices and even have reminders in the inn and in your room. I found that very helpful.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Rochester, New Hampshire
Reviewed 25 March 2014

My husband and I just returned from a weekend getaway at The Captain Freeman Inn. Although spring has barely begun, we have found the Cape to be an amazing place to visit any time of the year. This inn (which has an excellent mid-Cape location) is an extraordinary B&B for many reasons. Donna and Byron (the owners) are special people who are caring and intelligent in their roles as innkeepers. They have created a wonderful retreat for their guests with beautifully decorated rooms that are immaculate with an attention to small details that is truly memorable - We stayed in the Eastham room and on our first night, my husband sat on the couch surrounded by pillows with a drink in hand watching his basketball game by the warmth of the fireplace - after a few moments he declared, "I feel happy!" (Girls, don't be afraid to bring your man here!) and I shared those feelings as I enjoyed the cozy and very comfortable bed! The gourmet breakfasts are simply the best and provide a warm start to your day - after I admitted to Donna that I am not a fan of banana bread, she immediately offered to substitute a corn muffin and I appreciated the individual attention. We walked a short distance to Breakwater Beach after breakfast and enjoyed a nostalgic visit to the Brewster General Store (right next door to the inn) - Our luncheon meal at the Brewster Fish House was fresh and fantastic - we stayed in Saturday night and had excellent take-out sandwiches from the Local Flavor shop (they close mid-afternoon) with Donna's incredible cookies for dessert! Be sure to stop by Brewster Sweets for some chocolate goodies (and use the $5 gift certificate in your welcome items in your room) and do check out the amazing kitchen store at Lemon Tree Village. Donna and Byron are enthusiastic Cape Cod residents - take the time to read through the comprehensive information book they have provided in your room - after an initial reading, I went back and wrote down fun ideas to remember for future visits! (Loved their dog Harrison who is gentle and wise and a friend to all!)

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Donna C
Westport, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 February 2014

After our Valentine's Day Wedding we were looking to escape for a few days and choose the "Romance Package" at the Captain Freeman Inn what a wonderful choice! We stayed in the "Welfleet" Suite which had wonderful bed, cozy gas stove and a double Jacuzzi tub. The room was immaculate. The breakfast each morning was wonderful and included fresh fruits, baked goods and flavors beyond compare - what a wonderful way to start our day! If you are looking for a mini getaway to relax, rejuvenate and unwind together you must check out this amazing Inn and package.

Room Tip: Every room was beautiful
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rebecca B
Scituate, Massachusetts
Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

I just checked out of the Captain Freeman Inn this morning and didn't want to leave. Byron and Donna, the owners, make you feel right at home. They are just the nicest and most sincere people. I'm certain that they are the reason for my trip being so special. I so appreciate that they made the most delicious breakfast while accommodating my gluten free, dairy free diet. Both mornings their wonderful Labradoodle Harrison greeted me in his gentle way. When I get a dog one day I hope he's like Harrison. Byron and Donna also ALWAYS steer me in the right direction to the best restaurants, beaches, hikes and other attractions. As for my room, it was lovely, the bed and pillows were fantastic and the decor was perfect. Sitting at the end of the day by the fireplace in my room reading with a cup of hot tea (they have a great selection of tea) was the icing on the cake each night. And one more thing, the location on 6A in Brewster is a great spot in the middle of the Cape so that you have easy access to lots of towns. This is a inn for all seasons!

Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Agawam, Massachusetts
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We loved this B&B! Byron was a gracious host, and Nathan was very helpful upon check in. The rooms were lovely, the ambiance serene, and the cookies were delicious! The breakfast (included) was amazing as well. Fresh and cooked to order, with delicious coffee & fresh juice. Harrison, the labradoodle, was a great companion....always ready to greet us! We can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: The Brewster room had great light!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brewster
The Mansion at Ocean Edge Resort & Golf Club
The Old Manse Inn
#3 of 10 in Brewster
The Villages at Ocean Edge Resort & Golf Club
Sea Meadow Inn at Isaiah Clark House

Been to Captain Freeman Inn? Share your experiences!