“Closed City Icon.”

Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Brockton
“Closed City Icon.”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Place is closed down. Seems as though the daughter of the deceist owner Christos., didn't want to be the owner of a big restaurant that was facing needed changes in the restaurant decor and some changes in the menu, bring in some entertainment, to add some younger crowd too , to the restaurant. Too bad. Christos was a Icon to this City OF Brockton. Now it's owned by the College to make it into a Science center?, For Massasoit Community College.I wish I owned that restaurant with that location. wow, I know what I do to the place. It would be a gold mine.

what a dissappointment.

• Visited November 2013

Boston, Massachusetts
“Final review”
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Sadly this restaurant has closed. I am honored to say that I spent their last day (Dec 31st) enjoying one of their famous Greek salads. This restaurant has been in business for over 40 years, and I have spent a lot of time there over the years with family, friends and coworkers. The owner, Christos, passed away last year and it is a testament to him and his daughters the flood of customers who came back to the restaurant from far away to reminisce about their memories of family times spent at this restaurant and to eat there one last time. Whether it was the baked lamb, pizza, or the famous greek salad, you were sure to get a great meal. Happily, one of the daughters is opening a smaller place nearby.

Monrovia, California
“Worst restaurant I've been to”
Reviewed 2 January 2014

While I realize this restaurant is closing I felt I had to give a review. I do not understand the positive reviews, if I could I would have given it a minus 10. This is one of two of the worst restaurants I have ever been to. Our niece called the restaurant to make reservations for five of us. She was told they only take reservations for ten or more. When we arrived at the restaurant we were told we could have made reservations.
It took over an hour for our meal to be served. But, my brother in law kept saying how wonderful the food was.
My brother in law ordered the lamb, which he swore was better than Mama's. Since I don't like lamb I took his word for it. However, there was a penny in his mashed potatoes! A penny! That was inconceivable to me. When it was brought to the attention of the waitress she said it probably fell out of her pocket, and laughed. No apology, no offer to replace the mashed potatoes, no refund, just passed it off like it was funny.
My husband ordered the surf and turf, advertised as for a hungry appetite. The two small shrimp were burnt. The steak was tough. And certainly not enough for a hungry appetite. The green beans were cooked to mush and in this greasy tomato liquid stuff.
I had the Greek salad with slices of steak. My steak was also very tough. Although my brother in law said this was the best Greek salad ever, I have had better.
It was a terribly disappointing meal. My other brother in law did not want to go there and kept saying the food was terrible. He was right.
Maybe in the past the food was good, but it was obvious this restaurant was closing and the attention to delivering a good meal was not their focus.

1 Thank Anna Marie H
Boston, Massachusetts
“Final review”
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Sadly this is the last time I can write about Christo's. It is one of those local legend places where the food is probably about half as good as we think it was...but it was really good. Greek bar style pizzas and greek style lamb shanks...best soco manhattans. But as is with many others it is closing...not long after the owner passed away and the daughters took it over. Probably not a coincidence. Not because they were unable but due to the cost of running the place, the neighborhood, the inability to overlook the amount of money the state offered for the facility to be used as part of the state college system. Whatever the reason it is gone and I hate change. I still miss the Johnny Carson show!

2 Thank jambandguy
Plymouth, Massachusetts
“Will miss this restaurant”
Reviewed 22 December 2013

So sad that this restaurant is closing after almost 50 years. I used to eat there weekly, but haven't been there in over 20 years because we moved out of the area. Went back yesterday to reminisce and enjoy it one more time. Their baked lamb is exactly as I remember it ~ delicious! And I topped it off with their famous warm grapenut pudding with whipped cream. We were told that they're opening a take-out only store in Whitman and then a very small version of the restaurant, but no location has been chosen yet.

2 Thank Sheila F