“Gorgeous place...service not at par”
Review of Tamboo

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Tamboo
Ranked #111 of 173 Restaurants in Brockton
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

Our hostess chose Tamboo to celebrate her husband's birthday. When we walked into the place, it was an absolutely gorgeous place. Nicely decorated, not like any other Haitian Restaurant we've ever been too. So we all were ready for a terrific time and great service. We were a group of 16 and only had 1 waitress. She appeared to be new because she was very overwhelmed. I must say that she handled herself with grace and responded quickly to all inquiries. However, food was brought partially. Some folks had rice but no meat and while waiting on the meat, the rice and vegetable got cold and therefore not pleasant to eat. All the tables were half served. Instead of focusing on one table at the time and bringing out complete meals, all tables were focused on and incomplete meals were served. The
cake was served without silverware and when it came time to settle the bill, that was another wait. I believe if there were 2 waitresses for this party size, the experience would have been better.

2  Thank Panterenoire
There are newer reviews for Tamboo

Reviewed 20 August 2013

I recommend this place to anyone seeking a good atmosphere, clean and great customer skills. I felt personally that the waitress was excellent and the manager was friendly. I had a great experience with being welcomed by a great waitress.
I personally thought the food was well presented but the size of the food was not too impressive. First off, I felt the size of the food plate was a lunch plate because everything about the food was too portionized. I felt the hour in which they were open, which is dinner time (5pm), should be served a the size of a dinner plate unless the individual asked a size plate differently.
I brought this issue to the manager, I personally found that the manager did a great job with finding the right solution. He handle the situation by putting the customer first. Lastly I felt that he was friendly, a great listener, very attentive, very professional and has a terrific judgement call.
Overall, the service was excellent and the food was Superb!

1  Thank Donna E
Reviewed 11 September 2012

This past weekend we held a function at Tamboo in Brockton. We had made arrangements with the new manager hired by the owner. At first, everything was ok. The day of the function we could not believe how mismanaged the place was. The food was over an hour and half late; despite the fact that we have provided meal tickets to be given to the wait staff (who by the way was superb and could not be more accomodating). It appeared to us that the manager could not direct the meal service accordingly to ensure that everyone was served on a timely manner. I realize that there were over 100 people at the function but the manager was well aware of the amount of people that would attend. She should have planned accordingly. I was terribly disappointed with the Manager; the staff was great, however. I would not recommend Tamboo for a function of more than 30 people for a seat-down meal, unless they improve how the place is managed.

2  Thank CRITICASOCIAL
Reviewed 4 July 2009

It is also a club so around midnight one can burn calories while dancing with a partner and enjoying the night.

3  Thank missycute
Reviewed 1 January 2008

Having received first-hand accounts filled with praise for Tamboo Bistro, located on Main Street in Brockton, MA, one wonders if this city’s downtown area, notorious for its lack of culinary flair, is undergoing an upscale transformation. Tamboo, after all, signifies the rhythm of life, and its owners hope to emulate this by serving an eclectic array of both New American and Haitian fare. In the infamous words of Gloria Estefan (and who could omit the accompanying Miami Sound Machine), is Tamboo’s “rhythm going to get me” or will it disappointingly fall flat according to Paul’s Palate?

Location-wise, Tamboo resides at the beginning of Main Street, which resembles a ghost town mid-week, with its empty sidewalks and emptier nearby buildings that remain vacant. Clearly, this is not as bustling an area as initially thought. The restaurant is shockingly devoid of customers upon our arrival, thereby enabling us to meander to the bar area and admire the sleek décor. Clearly, owner Chrismin Charlot has infused a great deal of money renovating this space. From its space-lit entry, to its ultra-modern, hip interior - which includes stylish tables, funky walls, Haitian artwork, mood lighting, and a futuristic bar/lounge area – one feels transported several years ahead in time, if not at least into one of the classy, sophisticated dining scenes found in Boston. The establishment is spotless with the exception of small morsels that stand out on its carpeted entryway.

At the bar, we ogle a wide-ranging variety of cocktails, which are even broken out into categories such as a Sexy list (don’t ask me, just try them). After sipping on delectable pear and mango martinis, mango mojitos (served in bended glasses), and pomegranate margaritas, we make our way to our table, anxious to consume our meals.

Our server, albeit quiet in nature, is pleasant, attentive, and courteous. He provides accurate recommendations in regard to the menu, which include zesty appetizers. The fried calamari possess a nice, squishy texture and mesh well with fiery red peppers. The Haitian fried meatballs with dipping sauce are a legitimate winner. With a lightly crunchy exterior and juicy, spicy interior, I could pop hundreds more of these into my mouth if only I had an expanded stomach capacity to do so. The only lackluster appetizer is the rum-roasted chicken wings, which come highly recommended by our server. Although meaty and flavorful, they more closely resemble buffalo wings than rum-soaked ones.

As with our drinks, we face a difficult task of choosing between a jaw-dropping number of entrees. Fortunately, they are flawlessly presented, large in portion size, and delectable upon arrival. Spicy aromas emanate from uniquely-shaped plates. Juicy goat meet happily swims in a slightly spicy, zesty creole sauce with peppers. A whole red snapper is equally divine, served with onions, peppers, and herbs. Island shrimp sizzled with peppers stands out, however, as the most memorable entrée of the evening with its winning, adventurous combination of ingredients that include brown sugar, cumin, and chili powder.

For dessert, the Raspberry Mont Blanc, a scrumptious concoction of white chocolate mousse, kirsh-soaked raspberries, is playfully presented in a white and red pyramid shell. Light, subtle, and not painfully sweet, I would travel to Egypt and back for another taste of this heavenly, innovative pyramid-like pastry.

It is this reviewer’s hope that Tamboo establishes its own rhythm in terms of attracting a consistent clientele. Certainly, its value cannot be beaten. Where else can fine dining be enjoyed at $15 to $20 per entrée? Hopefully, the mid-week visit and empty tables were not indicative of the fanfare surrounding this welcomed addition to the Brockton community. Otherwise, Paul’s Palate will sadly need to find its rhythm elsewhere.

3  Thank PaulsPalate