“Not for your short stay, nonsmoker traveller.”

Extended Stay America - Boston - Burlington
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Burlington
Reviewed 15 October 2013

We first arrived and was given a nonsmoking room but it reeked of smoke. They did give us another room but we saw 2 cigarrette butts stuffed down the bathroom sink. Gross!

Then in the morning the desk manager was in a discussion with a guest on the phone over how she could not help this person sign her children up for school. I believe she was right but it was not handled professionally.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Cecilia G
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Boston - Burlington, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2013

Cecilia - The staff and I read your comments about your stay with us. I sincerely apologize that your initial room smelled of smoke, but glad we were able to provide you with another one. Your comments were reviewed by the staff, and we are going to work harder to enforce our smoking policies moving forward. As well, I apologize for the manner in which our staff handled a guests issue. Please know, I am coaching the entire team on how to provide better customer service in the future.

The staff and I appreciate your comments, as it will only help us to improve. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at brl@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

I will start with the good. Location is good. The maid on the third floor was good my room was clean. My few interactions with the desk staff were fine. Not great, not bad, but adequate.

Now for the bad and why I will never stay at an Extended Stay again. I am here relocating and have been here a month now. I probably need to stay another month before I find place and relocate. What you have to expect at a place like this is a broad mix of people from many walks of life. The people staying here range from construction workers, truck drivers, restaurant workers, displaced families that most likely cannot afford to get a home or apartment because of credit or financial issues, to a few professionals. I am not knocking any of those groups but this leads to some issues that make living here short term much like living in a low rent apartment. There are a handful of people that I would never live near or with and there are more than a few down right seedy thugs. I understand that the hotel does not control the people that stay here and many are here because their employer sent them here. None-the-less you should understand that you will be staying in a hotel that has a lot of of people you would not normally live around. Really, I am not a snob or anything but facts are facts.
As far as the grounds go they are OK but the parking lot was littered, the elevators and hallways are dirty and have had the same dirt and trash in them for days. I know the staff uses the elevators and has not had the pride in their job to clean them up. Five minutes with a broom would go a long way. The laundry room is very dirty and looks like it has not been swept in a month. I know the review below about bed bugs is true because I saw them removing the bed and cleaning the room. I did not see exterminators, just staff.
Housekeeping is provided once a week and that is fine and actually preferred by me because I don't want someone in my room everyday. The problem with this is you must take out your own trash and the trash room is always overflowing with trash. They have three large yard garbage cans in the room which is clearly not enough for a floor with 30-50 rooms. There is room for 9-10 cans and I am not sure why they don't have more.
Because the is an extended stay many people cook in their rooms and every time I come home I am met by a mix of cooked food that is not pleasant. The very basic kitchen is not really accurate to cook in. One frying pan and a small sauce pan make it difficult to cook anything that requires more or larger pans. I bought pasta to cook one night and found that there is no large pan to cook noodles in. I suppose I could have broken my spaghetti in half....
Because of the variety of people here you also have to put up with various habits. Each night at approximately 230-3 am the restaurant workers come home and have no regard for the people that are sleeping at those hours. Not the restaurant folks fault or really even the hotels fault, just another negative side. The construction workers are up and put early so you are generally woken up by doors closing at 6am. Again nobodies fault just the way it is.
The breakfast is not much and I think folks mostly drink the coffee because there is no way it would pass as breakfast.
The Internet sucks unless you pay for it and even then it is poor. I paid for a month and see no difference in what I paid for vs the free.
The third floor appears to be completely non-smoking, however, each evening I can smell cigarette smoke in my room. Outside the entry way there are signs CLEARLY stating "NO SMOKING IN THIS AREA" , however smokers must read it as "SMOKING ALLOWED IN THIS AREA ONLY" because it is the ONLY area I see people smoking in. They are directly in view of the front desk and sit directly under the signs and yet the management says nothing. It goes on 24/7.

My advise is stay somewhere else. This is also the advice I will be giving my company. It is worth the added money to stay at a business hotel like a Hilton garden inn or a courtyard.
I am counting the days until I am out of here. If it were not for the fact that I am gone 12-14 hours a day I would find another place. At this point it is just more effort than it is worth since I hope to fine a home soon.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel. There are plenty in the area.
4  Thank badbullgator
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Boston - Burlington, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2013

I appreciate you bringing your detailed experience of your stay to our attention. The situation you described regarding the clientele and the issues with the Common Areas is truly regrettable. We are very sorry that you did not have an enjoyable experience. We will take your feedback and address these issues immediately as well as use your review to better coach our staff so that we can continue to work on providing an exceptional stay for all of our guests.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, at brl@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.

Reviewed 12 September 2013

I stayed at this hotel in September 2013. I arrived very late at night and went to bed immediately. I barely even turned on the lights, which I now regret because when we woke up in the morning, we saw large, fully-grown bedbugs crawling in the sheets we'd been sleeping in all night!

When we alerted the staff to this and showed them the photos and videos we'd taken of the bedbugs, they were not at all surprised and hardly apologetic. Because we were leaving town that day and unable to leave all of our possessions with the hotel, the manager refused to help us out in any way other than giving us a voucher to come back and stay at the hotel again for free. (Obviously we won't be using that ever!)

We were then forced to disinfect ourselves, our clothes, all our luggage, and the car we were using. The entire process was difficult, time consuming (took over four hours), expensive (the supplies needed cost over $100), not to mention emotionally upsetting.

Here's a video we took in the morning of our bed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcyqI5R2gYk

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else or sleep in your car.
5  Thank B S
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Boston - Burlington, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2013

I have received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. I sincerely apologize that you were unhappy with your stay at our hotel. Please know, the staff I take great pride in caring for each and every guest that walks through our doors. While I am glad that our staff did offer to resolve the issue while you were still on-site, I am disheartened that this was not enough. In response, our staff is working to improve our cleaning procedures and inspection policies so this is not an issue moving forward.

If there is anything else we can do, or if you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at BRL@extendedstay.com.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Just wasn't what we expected. Hotel and grounds were in good shape and the place was mostly clean, it just felt old and dated even though it looked like they recently renovated. And it was just felt low end. Not that we were expecting five stars.

It was an okay place for an okay price in the Boston area. Seems to attract construction workers. The only nice thing was that there was a large indoor mall close by and some decent restaurants (local and chain).

Staff was friendly enough when you could find them. Breakfast was pitiful.

Skip it if you have kids.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank NotExpectingMuch
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Boston - Burlington, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2013

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I am happy to read your remarks about the overall cleanliness of the hotel and that you enjoyed the local attractions in Burlington. Still, I am very sorry that your room and our grab-and-go breakfast did not meet your expectations. Our breakfast is a new offering, one we are still fine tuning. As we continue to do so, we will keep your feedback in mind.

Our team is committed to satisfying our guests, so we are very thankful for your feedback. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, at BRL2@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope we have the opportunity to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

I will be honest, the first time I stayed here, I was disappointed with the cleanliness and overall smell of the hotel. I voiced my concerns and I have to say I've seen immediate improvements over the past few months. I am really impressed with AnnMarie, the hotel manager. The hotel is cleaner than it's ever been, it smells nicer, the rooms are very spacious, and the price for the location cannot be beat. The staff is attentive and will go out of their way to assist in anything you need. If you've posted a negative comment before, you should give this hotel another try. It keeps getting better. I'm impressed.

Room Tip: 3rd floor seems the quietest to me so far.
2  Thank iloveravens
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Boston - Burlington, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your most recent experience with us, especially since this stay was much better than your first. I am so glad that our staff was attentive to your needs and friendly, especially AnnMarie. I look forward to sharing your comments with her and the rest of our team.

Reviewed 25 July 2013

The best part about this hotel was the staff. They were very friendly! They also were able to suggest the best way to tour the City of Boston via public transportation, which was VERY easy!

The second best part about this hotel was its location. My wife and I were able to visit the following locations and none were more than 2 hours away:

Kenebunkport, Maine
York Beach, Maine
Newport, Rhode Island

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sonia O
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Boston - Burlington, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2013

Hi Eric,

The staff and I read your review, and would like to thank you for writing such great things about our location here in Burlington and the staff. I’m glad to read you had a great time touring New England and enjoyed our suggestions to attractions around the area and local states close by. I am also pleased to read that our guidance through the public transportation made your trip easier for you to get around the area. Thank you once again for posting such a good review. The staff and I would like to provide you with another great stay if your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed 17 July 2013

We stayed here one while we were road tripping through New England. We were looking for something reasonable close to the train station for traveling into Boston the next day. The Alewife station in Cambridge is only about 15min away and you can park there for $7/day. The train is only $2.50/way into Boston and takes about 20 min. There is a big mall right across the street- Burlington Mall or something or other, and there's a big AMC theatre right next door to the hotel. There were a few other restaurants and things all within just a few minutes drive.
My only complaint is when we were coming off the highway, we missed the street for the hotel because the foliage was partially blocking the sign for South Ave which is actually not up on a pole, but right underneath the name of the business park. We ended up driving down the road a few minutes before we realized we missed it. And when you start driving up South Ave you start thinking you took the wrong street because there's nothing there. But hang in there- its right around the bend in the road.
Our room was very spacious with a kitchenette- full size fridge, microwave, 2 burner stove top with stool seating at the counter. Dishes also in the cupboard. Very clean. Two queen size beds which was a god send after 4 people sharing 2 double beds for the previous 5 nights. They also have laundry there as well which I had planned on doing... but then the mall was calling my name :) Continental breakfast is 'Grab and Go', no seating and consists of some granola bars and prepackaged muffins. Free wifi which was reliable. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Boston - Burlington, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2013

Lisa - The staff and I read your review, and would like to thank you for writing such great things about our hotel here in Burlington and our surrounding attractions. It is so rewarding to read that you really enjoyed your room and the kitchen.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Burlington
Candlewood Suites Boston-Burlington
HYATT house Boston/Burlington
Sonesta ES Suites Burlington
Residence Inn Boston Burlington
Hilton Garden Inn Burlington
Fairfield Inn Boston Woburn/Burlington

Been to Extended Stay America - Boston - Burlington? Share your experiences!