“Wish we could have stayed longer!”

Captain David Kelley House
Ranked #1 of 6 Centerville B&B and Inns
Los Angeles, California
“Wish we could have stayed longer!”
Reviewed 27 December 2011

My girlfriend and I booked one night's stay in the Captain Baker room for a short trip after our college finals ended. We were greeted warmly by Rick and Tom, who are incredibly gracious hosts. They even called to tell us that the light over their sign went out, as we were travelling at night. The place is pretty easy to get to, but we appreciated their concern. The entire inn was done up for Christmas and everything looked so cute. I personally admire attention to detail and you could tell that they have put a lot of effort into the inn. The old house is beautiful, but very cozy and intimate, which is something you can't really get at a hotel. We had a lot of questions upon our arrival and they answered all of them. They had wonderful recommendations for places to eat and knew the surrounding areas extremely well. I informed them that my girlfriend is a vegetarian, and when we ate breakfast, I was pleased to discover that her dietary needs were respected. We both enjoyed a wonderful vegetable strata, fresh fruit, and homemade scones (made fresh by Rick, who really knows his way around a scone!) All of these accommodations and little details made the stay even more perfect than I had originally intended. It was completely worth it--even for an off-season visit! Book your stay now!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Latham, New York
Reviewed 26 December 2011

I drove to the Cape to rejoin with my "other" family for this past Christmas 2011. They knew Rick and Tom and helped me book a room with them at the Captain David Kelly House. The website is just as great as the experience there. I stayed for 2 nights, solo. The house Christmas decoratrions were what I wish I'd had time to do at home and I felt very much "in the season". My room was on the 2nd floor facing north (I think), and quiet (as was the town) and Oh! so comfortable! The flat-screen was displaying a roaring fireplace. I could go to CNN, but that was out of the question being the Holiday Season.
My past read on B&B's has been, "well, that's just what you got: a Bed and a Breakfast." Not so here. Wifi in the room, a great common room, and, yes, breakfast. Here the breakfast is a meal with Rick and Tom dualing for the best scones: Saturday morning was Tom's Chocolate-Orange, (like that candy chocolate-orange thing you crack open on Christmas Morning). And a fantastic brocolli/red pepper quiche - Christmas green and red? The next day was Rick's Cranberry/White Chocolate Scone. Tough call. Their scone competition was their banter over the breakfast table, involving all of the guests weighting in. Sorry, Tom: I am going for Rick's Cranberry/White Chocolate scone and hope saying that, I can return. Monday's French Toast was "just like Mom made it" - great bread with a rich, custardy texture made complete with real (VT) maple syrup. The coffee is killer!
I do not know about Centerville at all as nothing was going on as I saw and I was visiting friends nearby. This B&B was a fantastic experience for one who generally shies away from B&B's. Rick and Tom were great hosts and I highly recommend their stellar, historic B&B.
NOTE: when I say historic,that's the charming house itself. The guest accommodations are totally current and great.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
San Diego, California
Reviewed 14 November 2011

We were so happy with our stay during our Honeymoon in October 2011 at the Captain David Kelley House. Everything was absolutely perfect, and the service was second to none. Rick and Tom are excelent hosts and will make your visit especially catered to you. You will not be disappointed. Thank you, Dustin & Jesse

Reviewed 31 October 2011

As an innkeeper, it is always fun to see what other innkeepers are doing. The CDK House was warm, inviting, and oh, so comfortable thanks to the care that Tom and Rick put into everything. I was lucky enough to stay on the Cape two nights and I felt as if I had been away much longer. I stayed in a first floor room with a king bed. The bed linens were tasteful and the bed most comfortable. Upon returning to Vermont I have recommended CDK House several times to guests that were headed down to the Cape. Well done, Tom and Rick!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
North Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed 27 October 2011

We just celebrated our 35th wedding anniversary at the Captain David Kelley B & B. Now I am trying to think of other holidays or opportunities to stay there again. Tom and Rick are by far the best innkeepers we have ever come across, and we have stayed in many a bed and breakfast. The breakfasts were superb, the rooms beautiful and supremely comfortable, the whole inn a delight. We loved it.

preston
Reviewed 4 October 2011

We had the most fantastic stay in this wonderful B&B in Centreville, The location was superb, the hosts Rick and Tom (and Stephen) were amazing and could not have done more to help us. The rooms were delightful, the chocolates at bedtime were a lovely touch and the breakfasts were excellent. A highlight was Rick's french toast - superb!! The scone wars were hilarious and resulted in some fantastic scones. Relaxing in the evening in the beautiful lounge or on the porch was just what was needed after a busy day exploring the amazing Cape Cod. We would recommend Captain David Kelley House to everyone - it was perfect!!

Room Tip: We had Captain Kelley room and our friends had the Captain Baker room, both were excellent.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Kansas City
Reviewed 3 October 2011

My husband and I immediately felt welcome and comfortable at the Captain David Kelley House. We stayed three nights and wished we had more time. Pat greeted us the first day and recommended an excellent restaurant for dinner. Tom and Rick arrived and made us feel even more at home - not to mention they made fabulous scones for breakfast! We also appreciated the perfect guidance to a bike trail and bike rental shop and another great restaurant recommendation. The lovely room, good shower, central location, fresh fruit every morning and large screen porches all added to the experience. We will be back any time we make it to Cape Cod. Kate and Al.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Centerville
Anchor In Hotel
#1 of 8 in Yarmouth Port
Brewster By The Sea
Brewster By The Sea
#5 of 10 in Brewster

Been to Captain David Kelley House? Share your experiences!